Alzheimers and chemotherapy

Camberite

Dec 1, 2015
My husband (69 years) was diagnosed this year with early stages of Alzheimers. Following this he has also been diagnosed and had operations for both bowel and liver cancer - talk about kick a man when he's down! After both operations his Alzeimers was much worse. I understand anaesthetic has adverse effects on the brain but this really made his memory so bad. His memory is now slowly coming back to what it was before and yes we do have minor slip backs. What I am now worried about is the 3 months chemo he may have to have following his cancer. Will the chemo drugs make his Alzheimers much worse just like the anaesthetic. He has come through both operations well and we are trying to be positive for a good recovery. Anyone had a similar scenario please?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Fraid I can't help, but couldn't just read and run. Just wishing you and OH all the best and hope things go well for you.
Someone will be along shortly who can actually answer your question, I'm sure.

Emac

Mar 2, 2013
What rotten luck for you all, to have a physical ailment on top of the alzheimers. Have you spoken to your hubby's psychiatrist or the oncolgist treating the cancer re any impact of the treatment? It may be they have experience of treating previous patients with the condition and there may be no adverse effects other than those found in the rest of the population.

If there are known adverse effects, it may also be worth asking what would the prognosis be if he didn't have the chemotherapy? If treatment will impact adversely on his quality of life now when he is in the early stages, it may be that that it might be better not to have it and for you all to enjoy what you have now.

it's a lot to take on and think about. I hope you get good answers. xxx

Camberite

Dec 1, 2015
Wow - what a nice bunch of people you are - thanks for the replies

Had a chat with the District Nurse yesterday who suggested talking it through with the oncologist as and when we come to that point. I still can't get my head around how quick our lives have changed. Got to get so many things put in place to secure my husband's future in case something happens to me. Fortunately, I am (at the moment!) in good health. I have received today some literature from the A Society and am going to have a good read of that in a moment. One of the things that is so frustrating is time, you just don't know what you have or haven't got as I understand all cases are so different. To come through his two operations so well and now have this to deal with is hard on both of us. Again, thank you so much for your responses, helpful or otherwise, nice to know you are there xx

Camberite

Dec 1, 2015
A year on!!!

My husband didn't have any chemo after his operations and has now been diagnosed with early on Alzheimer's, so it's onwards and upwards. On the cancer side of things he is clear and all his follow appointments have been positive. Our lifestyles have changed massively though as his Alzheimer's continues to decline. I have just finished a 6 week Carers Programme which was really helpful and I met some nice people as well. One of the main things that stresses Michael (my husband, let's give him a name) is his car. Things like where is it, has it been damaged, is it where I left it last etc etc. His driving is as it as always been, very good, however, his confidence for directions has suffered, so I have to be with him every time he ventures out. I do drive and no doubt the time will come when I have a take over this roll. His driving licence is renewed annually now under doctors advice.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It's good to get an update. You seem to have everything well in hand, but do take care of yourself also. It is very easy to ignore your own well-being.

I remember how my mother spent the first year or so asking "Where's my car?" in a rather accusatory voice. Her car was in British Columbia with my stepfather and she was in Ontario in a retirement home at the time. I used to say "Norm is taking care of it and he's paying for EVERYTHING!" This would placate her for a while.

Camberite

Dec 1, 2015
6th February 2018
It has been a long time since I wrote on here and so much has happened. Michael has now had his driving licence revoked and I am now back in the driving seat. The transition was a lot easier than Inthought, I also changed the car to suit me better! Last January 2017 Michael’s cancer was back and was now in both liver and lungs, we were told that no treatment was going to help Michael and the oncologist thought quality of life was more advantageous. All of this went completely over his head and todate Michael is totally unaware of both cancer and Alzheimers. I am his full time carer and conversation is now virtually non existent, he talks all the time but it makes no sense, so I interject with “really” “okay” or divert .....
I have managed to get some good things in place which gives me respite during the day. He has a volunteer for 3 hours on a Monday who takes him out (this was courtesy of the Carers Assocation). Tuesday and Wednesday he attends Magdale House day centre from 10 to 2 includes lunch (this was arranged via the Alzheimers Society). Thursday he attends St Michael’s Hospice from 10 to 3, this also includes lunch and was arranged via Hospice at Home. So I consider myself fortunate as I also have good support from both family and friends and by god you need it all, so don’t ever refuse anything that is offered.
Some of my main problems is getting him to bath and shave, and settle of a night. I also have to hide keys and put things away, such as kettle etc, before going to bed - just in case!
Well that’s enough for now. Any help I can give feel free to ask I am getting quite experienced!!

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
6th February 2018
It has been a long time since I wrote on here and so much has happened. Michael has now had his driving licence revoked and I am now back in the driving seat. The transition was a lot easier than Inthought, I also changed the car to suit me better! Last January 2017 Michael’s cancer was back and was now in both liver and lungs, we were told that no treatment was going to help Michael and the oncologist thought quality of life was more advantageous. All of this went completely over his head and todate Michael is totally unaware of both cancer and Alzheimers. I am his full time carer and conversation is now virtually non existent, he talks all the time but it makes no sense, so I interject with “really” “okay” or divert .....
I have managed to get some good things in place which gives me respite during the day. He has a volunteer for 3 hours on a Monday who takes him out (this was courtesy of the Carers Assocation). Tuesday and Wednesday he attends Magdale House day centre from 10 to 2 includes lunch (this was arranged via the Alzheimers Society). Thursday he attends St Michael’s Hospice from 10 to 3, this also includes lunch and was arranged via Hospice at Home. So I consider myself fortunate as I also have good support from both family and friends and by god you need it all, so don’t ever refuse anything that is offered.
Some of my main problems is getting him to bath and shave, and settle of a night. I also have to hide keys and put things away, such as kettle etc, before going to bed - just in case!
Well that’s enough for now. Any help I can give feel free to ask I am getting quite experienced!!
Am really glad for you that you are finding a lot of support in place to help a difficult double illness whammy a little easier at times

Camberite

Dec 1, 2015
Thank you. My husband doesn’t talk any sense at all now. Going out with friends for lunch is now becoming a problem due to him having to go the toilet accompanied. It’s hard to read the signals for this, sometimes he just gets up and walks out!
He now has a heavy cold and doesn’t understand it....
He has also developed some OCD habits.
He hallucinates and mumbles all the time - and so it goes on.