National care franchise let us down now we can't find carers

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
So, still no care package and now there's muttering about putting my mother in a care home "temporarily"......

No, no, NO, I said, there's only one decent care home in our area and it's EMI nursing which she doesn't need. She can't go there and anyway it's full.

Putting my mother in a care home won't be "temporary" it'll be the beginning of the end. I'm not stupid..... we'll never get a care package if she goes in a home because the health and local authorities will always gazump us for people in hospital at the time they find carers. And carers are like gold dust here....

So questions folks:

1) We're self-funding can they force mum into a home when it's not necessary except she is ready to leave hospital? We only need a half hour package a day and I even offered to pay for an hour.

2) Will we have to pay for it if they do force her out?

I'd argue it's not in mum's best interests. The care homes round here are the Karaoke and park them in a huge lounge type. She had respite in one and had a fall which resulted in the paramedics (rightly) reporting the home to safe-guarding.....

She's happy at home and I manage fine specially since she was prescribed Mirtazapine to stop her night time wondering. She's still included in village life, she loves her garden and her home.

Can they really do this to her just because their own systems fail? Can they do this just because they can't source a measly half hour a day of domiciliary care?

Aaaargh, I'm furious with the idiots that shoved a political wrecking ball into a local authority run care system that worked well until it was privatised ......

In answer to your questions...

I would say that SS have to fulfil their legal duty of care but also have to consider issues such as whether your mother still has capacity to decide where she lives. If she does, they could only override that if they could demonstrate that it was in her best interests to deprive her of her liberty (via a DOLS order).

If she doesn't have capacity, do you have Health & Welfare LPA which would enable you to make decisions on her behalf? Without it you are going to have argue with them about what is in her best interests both in the short and the long term.

The trouble is, if there are no carers available to provide what you really want SS can't create them out of thin air and have to do the best they can with the options that are available, none of which may be ideal.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
In answer to your questions...

I would say that SS have to fulfil their legal duty of care but also have to consider issues such as whether your mother still has capacity to decide where she lives. If she does, they could only override that if they could demonstrate that it was in her best interests to deprive her of her liberty (via a DOLS order).

If she doesn't have capacity, do you have Health & Welfare LPA which would enable you to make decisions on her behalf? Without it you are going to have argue with them about what is in her best interests both in the short and the long term.

The trouble is, if there are no carers available to provide what you really want SS can't create them out of thin air and have to do the best they can with the options that are available, none of which may be ideal.

Pickles53's answer should be really helpful to you.

I have twice insisted that my Mum be discharged from hospital before a care package was put in place and they knew that I was serious as I'd coped on my own (I live with Mum), for a long time and she was being well-looked after.
Mum and I had had enough, even though her care during the latest stay was really good - I wanted her home even though she is bed-bound and incontinent now.
This meant we had to wait longer for a care package but as we live in a large city and things aren't quite as bad as where you are, it wasn't too long (it didn't work out so we're back to managing on our own).

If you feel you can cope, then bring her home and perhaps you'll feel less stressed about searching for your own Carers as you're not running to and from the hospital?

If your hospital is anything like ours then they will probably be relieved that you are taking her home and will likely not argue too much, but you must feel sure in yourself that you can and that you are both safe.

Be firm and good luck xx

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
Could you perhaps find other help, such as a cleaner, to free up your time I am not suggesting asking a cleaner to care. I am suggesting it as a support for you so there is a little bit less on your plate.

la lucia

Jul 3, 2011
Hi folks

thanks for all the replies - they've been really helpful. Slowly making a little progress at last, hopefully.

One of the advice lines sent me a useful document that lays out the details and yes, they can move her to a care home and yes, we'll have to pay if they did.

Meanwhile, I've found one potentially good morning carer via the 'village ladies' (mum's very kind friends) and word of mouth I just need to find another to cover the days off. I'm hitting village shops with adverts. Fingers crossed!

I can't have my mother home without the care in place - I literally do the other 24/7 care so my early mornings off are vital. I am still trying to cling on to the remnants of my career (ha ha...) and early morning email and news feed checking is a part of that. (plus strong caffeine)!

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
la lucia, so very glad you've found someone, hope your ads are successful in your search for a second Carer.

Totally understand you need to keep your career as intact as you can under the circumstances, it no doubt keeps you sane and is vital for your future.
It really sounds as though you're doing your very best for your Mum and I hope, in the couple of days I've not been on TP, things are moving quickly for you.

Good luck and best wishes and may your caffeine stocks never run out :D xx

Beetroot

Aug 19, 2015
My big sister posted me an Italian expresso pot

I hope I'm not teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but make sure the grind of the coffee you buy is fine enough or the water gets through it too quickly and the coffee is thin and tasteless.

bumblefeet

Oct 25, 2016
Can I just mention, that if you find your own carer, make sure they are self employed, rather than you employing them. With the Workplace pension etc., you'll be giving yourself more paperwork.

If they are self employed, they'll need to have other cover in place for holidays etc.