Finding Care Home for my mother and how to pay for it

pitufi

Nov 29, 2015
London
Hello peeps!

As my mother's alzheimer's gets worse, it has come to my realisation that my mother needs to move to a care home where she can get the 24hr care she needs.

She now no longer knows how to turn on her tv, therefore if no one is around, she will just sit in silence for hours on end, there is medication reminder issues, she is forgetting a lot of things far too fast now, like wearing different clothes every day, understanding that clothes get dirty, not recognising different types of clothes like between jeans and shirts, an increasing lack of personal hygiene, she also has stopped calling when she needs me as her understanding of how her phone is the way to reach me fizzles away. Too much to list...

I have taken on a carer to visit her twice a week for the days I cannot be with her. But having the carer help me bridge the gaps in care, I realise she simply needs to be in a home for her own benefit. I've just been hanging on without realising :(

my mother has no assets or saving and I could potentially help towards a small part of a care home fees but def have not enough to pay for them entirely.
It's all very confusing and I dont even know who or what i'd ask to find out the information i need.

Like, does my mother need to be assessed by my local authority first as to whether she does need help paying for the care home?
or do i find a care home first, and then apply for financial help?
do i go through the NHS? do i ask her GP about all of this and they could maybe help explain the process? or maybe ask her mental health nurse?

I don't in which order to do what...Can anyone help me?

Thank you!

Valerie

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I would go to her GP and ask for a referral to social services. Has she been diagnosed with dementia in any form? If so she will be entitled to attendance allowance certainly at the lower rate to start with at least.
If she has no assets and the social worker (SW) assesses her they will either try to put a carer package together or she will go into a home from a list you chose from.
A carer package can go up to 4 visits a day every day.

I hope you find this helpful. I'm sure others will be along shortly to offer more advice. Best of luck. X

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi pitufi
contact your mum's Local Authority's Adult Services and request an assessment of her care needs
they will assess her needs and put together a care package - they will, I'm pretty sure, want to keep her at home if at all possible - usually the SS want to try up to 4 home care visits a day ie getting up, dressed, breakfast, meds + lunch, meds + tea, meds + ready for bed, meds - they may offer day care, respite, visits from OT and Physio to check her home and see if any adaptations may help, and telecare, a door sensor, an alarm button
they will also assess her finances - if your mum has assets and savings she will be self funding, but ask the LA to broker her care as it can then be a little cheaper
if she has assets less than around £23,000 the LA will at least part fund her care

unless there has been/is a crisis it's unlikely that they will immediately suggest a move to a care home - maybe start visiting the ones locally to see what is available when the time comes
best wishes

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy