New member looking for advice

Dil16

Oct 28, 2016
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice please.

My eldery Aunt had an initial assessment at a memory clinic last week.
She scored 85/100 on the test, scoring full marks in some areas but the short term memory section was where she lost all her points.

Are we looking at early stages of dementia ?
She doesn't seem to think she has a problem , and is full of excuses for not doing things or being ready, often her husband's fault!!!
We are not due back to the clinic until late December for results of scan, is there anything else we can be doing in the mean time to help her memory issues?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Dil

Welcome to talking point. I hope you will find it helpful.

I'm not familiar with the test used for your aunt but 85/100 doesn't seem a bad score for an elderly person. I doubt any of us are as sharp as we once were.

It will be interesting to hear the results of the scan. I h you will post an update.

Meanwhile I would try not to put too much pressure on your aunt to be able to perform as she has in the past. The pressure alone, whether it be from family, friends or even herself , can cause more tension and make the situation worse.

Dil16

Oct 28, 2016
Welcome to talking point. I hope you will find it helpful.

I'm not familiar with the test used for your aunt but 85/100 doesn't seem a bad score for an elderly person. I doubt any of us are as sharp as we once were.

It will be interesting to hear the results of the scan. I h you will post an update.

Meanwhile I would try not to put too much pressure on your aunt to be able to perform as she has in the past. The pressure alone, whether it be from family, friends or even herself , can cause more tension and make the situation worse.

Thanks Sylvia
I will post updates when known..and pass your advice on to family/friends when dealing with her lapses

Mannie

Mar 13, 2014
Bracknell area
I would suggest that your uncle or their children, calls the memory clinic and asks what the results are so far. Dont wait in agonised silence, the NHS are there to help the family of patients with memory loss.

The fact that your aunt is unaware does seem to indicate that it is likely to be dementia. That is very typical.

You uncle should be urgently looking into getting Power of Attorney, he will be in complete misery and extra cost, if he doesn't act quickly.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Breazkrissy