So, here we are.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Yessss! Gold training treat for Bowie! (well, maybe bronze - he loses points for peeing on the kitchen floor before going out!). I took him out around the whole garden, back and front, gave him a run, and then a bit of lead training. And he behaved so well, I decided to take him for a short walk down the road to see how he'd go. We only went as far as my neighbour's gate. Two cars passed us, which scared him, as it's a narrow country road, no hard shoulder or anything, but he did really well. On the way home, he pulled a bit, obviously eager to get back home safe. But he was really good!

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Don't know whether you've thought off this lady a, do you have a harness for lord bowie?
I had to use a harness for Jess who wasn't a puppy because she would take off and nearly garrotte herself at the end of the lead. But she was a monster.
The reason I am so aware of this now is that in her old age Jess has tracheal damage which we can't pinpoint without tests which I won't put her through. It may be a paralysed larynx which can be triggered by age or if could be damage caused before I had her.

It's just made me so conscious and of course lord bowie is obviously not a monster and is behaving beautifully but bear it in mind if he develops pulling power while training you oh no other way round.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
He's growing so quickly, right now I'd say he's at an in between stage. Puppy harnesses look too small in size around the chest area, but the next size up looks too big. I think he will be fine on the lead though - he's been out on the lead twice today, just short walks of 100 yards or so on the road as he's still very frightened of passing traffic. But he was really good. Walked along very nicely!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Woo-hoo!! Dau texted shortly before 4 and asked if I wanted to go on the cliff walk, as they were going. I thought about it, and decided rather than leave Bowie here, it would be the ideal opportunity to (a) practice lead walking and (b) give him a short enough car journey that he wouldn't be sick. I decided I'd only bring him on part of the walk, as the full walk is a good 40 minutes each way - too far for a puppy on his first outing. So off we went. And you'd think Bowie was doing the walk every day! Behaved impeccably on the lead, greeted everyone we met like his long lost best friend, managed steep steps, up and down in spite of never encountering steps before and even worked out the best way to get over stiles!! Now sound asleep on his rug. He'd been running around the garden like a loon for ages before we went, chasing and playing with a plastic flowerpot that the wind was blowing around. One tired little doggy!!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
That's brilliant, well done you and Bowie, you're obviously on the right track with him really quick progress. xx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm a bit concerned about the feeding though. I was told that for his type, at this stage he should be on around 195g per day, divided into three meals. But I could tell that he was still a bit hungry after each meal. Quite hungry, in fact. So, I increased his rations a little, to 210g- he has after all grown in the last week. That was doing him, but tonight after all the exercise he had today, he started getting quite frustrated with his toys, and was obviously getting into a right temper. After a bit, I realised - he was starving! So I ended up giving him his dinner a whole hour earlier than scheduled, and he settled right down. He went into his crate, and is sound asleep. Maybe I better go to bed early myself!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Well done Bowie :D

If olive has been very active, longer walks or when away she runs around in the beach and loads of walking , I give her treats to compensate (Kong with food in) , keeps her busy . The level of food is a guideline . If a dog is more active may need more food. I'd try and keep regular meal times if you can , perhaps if that time suits better then move to then. Olive eats 6.30pm for evening which is after her evening walk, she is sometimes fed early if we need to go out or has been late due to finishing work late. She is 6though and come 5.30 she comes to find us working to let us know walk time is due as it means teatime follows.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I think once he's down to two meals a day, it will be easier to keep it more regular. But so far, so good, he's doing well and I don't seem to be ruining his life!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
You're def not ruining his life lady A , you could always give him slightly more for later meal reducing one of his others say lunchtime a little.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
He's a growing lad, he needs to eat, especially if he's so active! I'm sure you'll be fine giving him more for now.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm a bit concerned about the feeding though. I was told that for his type, at this stage he should be on around 195g per day, divided into three meals. But I could tell that he was still a bit hungry after each meal. Quite hungry, in fact. So, I increased his rations a little, to 210g- he has after all grown in the last week. That was doing him, but tonight after all the exercise he had today, he started getting quite frustrated with his toys, and was obviously getting into a right temper. After a bit, I realised - he was starving! So I ended up giving him his dinner a whole hour earlier than scheduled, and he settled right down. He went into his crate, and is sound asleep. Maybe I better go to bed early myself!

LadyA, I would look on this as being very encouraging:) You are beginning to 'read' Bowie at a very early stage. It's a bit like having a baby; to start with all cries sound the same (well they did for me) and after a while you recognise the cries/behaviour and are able to work out what is needed. Well done both of you.

XXX

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland

When Taz was a puppy I used to give him a carrot to chew on between meals as it filled him up without adding calories, I also add cooked vegetables to his dry food to bulk it up which he enjoys.

Don't worry about Bowie being very rough with his toys, Taz never had anything for long as he always ripped them to pieces, I still regularly have to sew them back together even though I buy the type that are supposed to last.

Don't worry, you seem to be coping brilliantly.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
We had a short, 20 minute walk at 7 a.m. this morning, just as it was getting light. Just down to the main road and back. Bowie was very reluctant. He doesn't like walking on the road, apparently. So we took twice as long going down to the main road as we did coming back! As soon as we turned around, he couldn't go fast enough, and pulled at the lead the whole way home! Knew exactly where to turn in for the gate too! Later, I might take him either to the park in the village or to the beach for a longer walk.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
We had a short, 20 minute walk at 7 a.m. this morning, just as it was getting light. Just down to the main road and back. Bowie was very reluctant. He doesn't like walking on the road, apparently. So we took twice as long going down to the main road as we did coming back! As soon as we turned around, he couldn't go fast enough, and pulled at the lead the whole way home! Knew exactly where to turn in for the gate too! Later, I might take him either to the park in the village or to the beach for a longer walk.

Or, I might just, as it turned out, let him have great fun and frolics in the garden with his (current) most favourite thing in the whole world - a small, lightweight plastic flowerpot! They blow about beautifully in the wind, they fit on his nose so he can race around like a greyhound with it, he can chase it and bounce it! :D And now he's stretched out on his rug, snoozing.

Moonflower

Mar 28, 2012
He's very young Lady A, and the pads on his paws may not have hardened up yet - in which case walking on a road might not be very comfortable for him.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
He's very young Lady A, and the pads on his paws may not have hardened up yet - in which case walking on a road might not be very comfortable for him.

I think it was more that he's nervous. The spurt of speed he puts on when I turn around and head back towards home is laughable!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Just going to come out and be honest here:
I'm not sure what brought it on, but I've been in floods of tears this evening. And full of doubt about whether I've done the right thing in getting Bowie. And wondering if maybe I should hand him back to the SPCA. :(

All the thinking, all the advice, all the reading & research I had done before getting him - nothing could really have prepared me for how very full on, all the time, in your face a puppy is! They really are relentless! Can be fun, yes - but so much work! And yes, people say "Oh, they are hard work." - but until you experience it, you really have no idea! And he was just being such a little monster today, it all just came to a head with me, I suppose. When we are out walking around in the garden - which up to now, he has been great with, trotting around with me, now and then going off a bit to sniff the trees and bushes, and then running to catch up - but today, he has developed the trick of just running in front of me, jumping and biting at my legs. Not fun! I kept tripping over him, and stepping on his paws. Not to mention, that it's a habit I need to train him out of asap, but have no idea how to. He wasn't doing it in a nasty way - he was just being playful, but it's still not something he should be doing.

He also pee'd in the house three times today - almost right after going outside and peeing outside. He came back in, and within five minutes, had pee'd on the floor - well, once it was on the floor, the little monkey sneaked under the kitchen table to do it, and the other two times, he actually just stood up on his bed in the kitchen and did it on his bed! :mad: So, I suppose I was upset that he's so slow on the house training. He does know. I know he knows. He has never once dirtied in the house. And he will, most often, go to the door to wee outside, and then come looking for his treat. He's never told off when he goes in the house. So I don't know.

And there's the food thing. Am I over-feeding? He was ravenous tonight by 7pm!! So, now he's had all he's due to get until morning. I can see it being a very early start in the morning! The feed he's on is 15euro for a 2kg bag. At the rate he's getting through it, it's going to be 15euro a week before long - at the current rate, a 2 kg bag will last about ten days. So, I'll have to wean him onto something cheaper. Particularly at the rate he's growing - he looks, in spite of what the vet said, like he's going to be big.

Unless I do return him to the SPCA. :( I feel such a failure and such a fool. I was there this evening, trying to cope with him being just such a little monster! I finally had to put him in "time out" in his crate. And as I sat and cried, I got to thinking - my house used to feel so very empty & quiet. But it was also kind of peaceful, and I could sit and read a book in peace, or watch a dvd. And it was clean & tidy. Didn't smell of dog.

So, there you have it. Much, much weeping tonight. I know he's just a puppy, and he'll outgrow much of his behaviour. And right now, the little monster has a full tummy (quite a large tummy it looks too, from this angle!) and is sleeping peacefully.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Food wise, we've always fed ours own brand from the supermarket, I've not had a puppy but ultimately I don't buy super expensive food for me or my kids so treat the dog the same.

I nearly said it before - but you are trying so hard, but I don't think everyone spends this amount of effort with pups and they all turn out fine.

Let him have more time in his crate if you are too tired to do stuff with him.

The dog we have was a rescue, and we really don't think she had ever been walked properly at all, the man smoked and sat outside and threw a ball for her when he smoked, but she didn't know how to behave with people, or other dogs. It all takes time. And she is a lovely well behaved dog that we have had for 12.5 years. (and she was very much loved by the family she came from even if not walked - she was rehomed direct from the family and didn't go to kennels).

With toilet training it will take time, just like with children, and just as you think you are there it will all go wrong. But you get there.

With other behaviour it will take time, he is only young and there will be ups and downs, but he will learn, and it is only for a few weeks.

Make sure you are getting enough sleep, as you sound exhausted and need to get a couple of good nights sleep.

Hugs - and hope that helps.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
The time out and early feed worked wonders on him! He's been angelic all evening. And bless him, he seemed to realise I was upset when I was crying and came and put his head on my lap. (yeah. Puppy is big enough to put his head on my lap!)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Dear LadyA, take a deep breath. I'm very sorry that you are so upset-you sound very tired and distraught. Down to the practicalities; only you can decide whether to return Bowie to the SPCA or see out the infuriating puppy stage. Perhaps you could go to a couple of puppy training courses and take advice there? I do know that whilst Bowie jumping up and biting your legs may be puppy behaviour it needs to be controlled. A friend of mine used to yelp like a dog when her puppy did that (a loud voice needed) and sometimes she growled-just like a senior dog would do to a puppy. I have no direct experience of that but hopefully others will be able to advise.

I do know that Billy wee'd on his bed a couple of times; I picked him up and took him outside with a loud 'no' if I caught him in the act. It stopped after a few weeks but it wasn't a good time!

Did the vet feel Bowie's tummy?? The hunger and the big tummy could be worms-but could equally just be puppy fat. I'm afraid that it's a bit of a guessing game.

Thinking of you-and hoping that Bowie soon realises that you are the leader of the pack.

XXX