Care homes ban relatives who complain

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Report in conjunction with Victoria Derbyshire programme.

We know from posts on here that there can be 2 sides to this story and that, in some cases, there are visiting relatives who don't have the best welfare of the resident uppermost and their visit is more about their own agenda.

But good for both the pro's and con's that it is being discussed I guess.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37825745

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Interesting. However, I think if I had got to the stage of making a formal complaint, I would have already been looking for another care home. Trust is such an important factor.

Nessa456

Nov 19, 2004
West Midlands
I recently had problems at my Father's care home (again). The home were not sending me monthly updates of my father's Patient Savings Account Record or letting me know about activities that were due to occur, as had previously been arranged.

I got angry with the activities organiser (Wellbeing Manager) due to her not even having the decency to reply to my email or phone me concerning this issue and she even initially refused when I asked her to tell me the total amount left in my father's account over the phone! I was subsequently warned that they were going to speak to my father's social worker regarding my behaviour towards staff.

My father is self-funding so didn't even have a social worker but I could see we might be at risk of eviction so I made a complaint to the safeguarding team at the local council myself as what the home had been doing was tantamount to financial abuse and disability discrimination (as I have Asperger's Syndrome and having the patient account and event listing documents scanned and emailed to me regularly was a reasonable adjustment to cater for my disability as far as I was concerned).

A meeting was arranged with the home via social services and attended by a social worker and the home manager (but not the Wellbeing Manager herself) and they said they would ensure the documentation was sent to me regularly in future

All this could have been avoided if the Wellbeing Manager had just done what they'd agreed to do last year and scanned & emailed the documents out to me

You have to keep one step ahead of these people because they are usually pally with social services as well so nothing is likely to be investigated in any depth - the social work team manager I initially spoke to said she knew the owner of my father's care home and then she said they wouldn't be doing an investigation, just arranging a meeting to sort things out - what a surprise!

Zana

May 12, 2016
I hope my SIL was watching .. She has called in the QCC several times about mums home.

She counts staffing numbers, checks toilets and bathrooms and she has even taken photos of broken toilet seats and shower curtains just to prove lack of maintance..

Im surprised the home have allowed her to go on this long.