'Best interests' experiences - any advice welcome.

Re Ma-in-law

Apr 7, 2016
Apologies in advance for this long post - it's a complicated situation.

I have posted questions a couple of times before, but we are now at a really tricky point with my lovely Ma-in-law. She still lives in her own home, with help from myself and my husband, and two regular carers who come in for an hour a day. She won't let them do anything more than make her a cup of coffee or occasionally take her to the supermarket. Her immediate memory is gone, she is terribly thin and frail, and a heavy smoker. Between us all we just about keep her medication on track. At the beginning of August she grazed the back of her leg and two nasty ulcers developed. These are being dressed twice a week, but she keeps redressing them with inappropriate things - last time one of them had a piece of screwed up micro pore tape held in place with a sticky paper label. Her leg (also swollen due to lymphatic damage following a break a few years ago) is very painful, and not healing, in spite of 2 courses of anti biotics. She can't remember that it hurt yesterday, but every day 'it has never hurt like this before' to the point where she bites her fist to stop herself crying out. She's also confused about where it hurts. She can barely walk and has difficulty getting her shoe on, but can't rest the leg, and tries to potter about in her garden.
The problem is that we feel she needs more care than any of us can give her, and we tried to get her a respite place last week to allow her some supported nursing care to get her back on her feet. When a place became available locally - self funded -the manager came to assess her needs, with great sensitivity. Once she grasped what was being suggested, Ma in law refused to answer any of her questions, and she had to give up. Ma in Law was adamant that she would never agree to go for respite: as far as she is concerned, she is absolutely fine.
Later in the evening, I had to go back to her as she was having a massive anxiety attack, but couldn't remember what about - this has happened a couple of times before. She cannot understand the implications of taking her dressings off, or the dangers of serious infection in the wounds.
I went to see her GP this afternoon. He says we should approach Social Services and speak to an Independent Mental Capacity Advisor, to start a process of getting her into care. Has anyone any experience of having to get someone into care in their best interests, against their will?

susy

Jul 29, 2013
North East
I think that this assessment will be the start. Does she have capacity or not will be a massive thing. If she does then she can chose where she lives and how no matter how bad it is. If however she doesn't then if someone has power of attorney for her then they make the decisions in her best interests.
I'm guessing the bottom line will be when you have a social worker and mental health and or nurse/carer possibly, family members and maybe GP who will meet and decide what would be the best thing for your mum in law. This could be anything from staying at home with more help to being sectioned and taken to hospital for a period of observation and change of medication.
I hope that you find some comfort in knowing that something hopefully positive will happen in the near future.

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Apologies in advance for this long post - it's a complicated situation.

I have posted questions a couple of times before, but we are now at a really tricky point with my lovely Ma-in-law. She still lives in her own home, with help from myself and my husband, and two regular carers who come in for an hour a day. She won't let them do anything more than make her a cup of coffee or occasionally take her to the supermarket. Her immediate memory is gone, she is terribly thin and frail, and a heavy smoker. Between us all we just about keep her medication on track. At the beginning of August she grazed the back of her leg and two nasty ulcers developed. These are being dressed twice a week, but she keeps redressing them with inappropriate things - last time one of them had a piece of screwed up micro pore tape held in place with a sticky paper label. Her leg (also swollen due to lymphatic damage following a break a few years ago) is very painful, and not healing, in spite of 2 courses of anti biotics. She can't remember that it hurt yesterday, but every day 'it has never hurt like this before' to the point where she bites her fist to stop herself crying out. She's also confused about where it hurts. She can barely walk and has difficulty getting her shoe on, but can't rest the leg, and tries to potter about in her garden.
The problem is that we feel she needs more care than any of us can give her, and we tried to get her a respite place last week to allow her some supported nursing care to get her back on her feet. When a place became available locally - self funded -the manager came to assess her needs, with great sensitivity. Once she grasped what was being suggested, Ma in law refused to answer any of her questions, and she had to give up. Ma in Law was adamant that she would never agree to go for respite: as far as she is concerned, she is absolutely fine.
Later in the evening, I had to go back to her as she was having a massive anxiety attack, but couldn't remember what about - this has happened a couple of times before. She cannot understand the implications of taking her dressings off, or the dangers of serious infection in the wounds.
I went to see her GP this afternoon. He says we should approach Social Services and speak to an Independent Mental Capacity Advisor, to start a process of getting her into care. Has anyone any experience of having to get someone into care in their best interests, against their will?

Sorry to hear about your MIL, it certainly sounds very difficult. I am afraid I am not sure what to advise but things can not go on like this. My limited experience relates to when I had POA over my elderly aunt. I lived over 100 miles away and was caring for my Mum and disabled daughter who both lived with me so could only get to my aunt about once a month. Following a stroke despite a good physical recovery her memory was shot and she was not capable of making decisions, despite her insistence that she could. The social worker and Dr told her that she could either go home with a live in helper or go into a nursing home. She reluctantly accepted the live in helper option with the proviso it was only 'till she was better'. Of course the carer was there till she died about 6 months later. This option may not be open to you but it certainly sounds that she and you can't go on as things are. Good Luck

Re Ma-in-law

Apr 7, 2016
Sorry to hear about your MIL, it certainly sounds very difficult. I am afraid I am not sure what to advise but things can not go on like this. My limited experience relates to when I had POA over my elderly aunt. I lived over 100 miles away and was caring for my Mum and disabled daughter who both lived with me so could only get to my aunt about once a month. Following a stroke despite a good physical recovery her memory was shot and she was not capable of making decisions, despite her insistence that she could. The social worker and Dr told her that she could either go home with a live in helper or go into a nursing home. She reluctantly accepted the live in helper option with the proviso it was only 'till she was better'. Of course the carer was there till she died about 6 months later. This option may not be open to you but it certainly sounds that she and you can't go on as things are. Good Luck

Thanks, Father Ted; we are waiting for contact from Social Services after I spoke to them today. Assessments of her current state of health and mind are the next step. I'm not sure how my MIL would react to a live - in helper. We should give that some thought.

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
My MIL was totally opposed to the idea of into a care home, although she wasn't coping at home even with four hours of care a day and someone staying overnight. If she was left alone between the daytime visits she would often be found outside confused and upset and sometimes wandering along the road by neighbours.

Her social worker was involved for about a year, and when it got to the point where the money ran out for self-funding the overnight care, she was happy to assess her as needing to go into care and not having any insight into her own care needs. The actual day when they took her to the home and she realised she was staying was very difficult, but a month later she had forgotten that she had ever lived anywhere else and she was happy in her own way, and a lot less anxious than she had been before.

With your mum, can you possibly sell the care home to her as somewhere the doctor says she needs to go while her leg heals?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jon56