So, here we are.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
It all takes time like babies. You can't give up on him (I know you won't because he's already got a paw under the table!). Time and patience and you'll be well rewarded. xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

All four paws firmly under the table! No, I know it's only lack of sleep. And worrying that I won't know what to do. But now it's four times in all this evening that he went to the door to go out to the loo, so he's catching on very fast!

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
I know We have the same . Olive pulls branched off trees , chews, spits out. She doesn't swallow thankfully.
Olive was a branch grabber, used to take our legs off on walks ..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 494

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
LadyA....I know exactly how you feel, when I got my current dog, who was and is still a teeny tiny dog...I was so prepared and had everything planned, a crate etc.

He cried the house down for 3 nights... awful to listen to, so upsetting, I remember saying to my husband an daughter a few days in....shall we return him to the breeders before we get to be too attached to him?

Daughter disgusted at thought!!! Next night no sound....silence, I was thrilled and thought fantastic, we've cracked it, until I got up, and found dog Harvey had been tucked up in bed with my daughter all night snoozing his little head off!!!! She could not take anymore and had slept on sofa first to be closer to him...then off they went to bed.

And there he stayed for 8 years until she left home...now he sleeps in his own bed in our room, until hubby gets up and then he is in with me quick sticks.

Anyway enough waffle... I am just saying I too had the same thought, but puppies are such hard work, the responsibility hits you....but percevere and you will have a wonderful, faithfull, loyal companion for many years ahead.

He is just lovely...very thoughtful eyes he has...it's so nice to read your updates.....Life with Bowie x

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Latest update!:D
I watched a dvd last night, and he contentedly snoozed on a blanket on the floor beside me. Then I played with him before bed, as he was in a "wired to the moon" mood, bouncing, chewing, etc. So, I got 3 of his toys and threw them across the floor one at a time. He's very much a "den" type of dog, just gathers everything up and takes it to his bed! So I would throw a toy across the floor, he would bounce after it, bring it back, I would throw another one, he would bounce after that, bring it back etc. etc. for about an hour! Then he had a game of "kill the blanket", gathering it into a ball, shaking it around etc. Around 11, I was exhausted, so gave him a last toilet break, and put him in his crate and went off to bed. He cried for about ten minutes - and then there wasn't a peep out of him until I went and got him up at 6 this morning!! Very good boy, Bowie!!

I am a teensy bit concerned though. He seems fine in himself (although he's been chewing at the grass outside), but he didn't eat all of his last meal yesterday evening, and only ate about half his breakfast. I have him on four meals a day - but not too sure how much to give him at each meal. The fosterer was feeding them ad lib, and just using one huge bowl between them. The first few feeds you could see from the way he was feeding that it was a case of "eat as much as you can as quickly as you can before it's all gone". So, maybe it's just that he's caught on that ALL the food in the bowl is now his so he doesn't have to stuff? He has also stopped sort of "jostling" from side to side as he eats. He's now flaked out on his kitchen blanket!

Any tips for lead training? Yesterday morning it went ok. Yesterday evening's session, he almost hung himself! :D He thought it was just a huge game of tug-of-war, even though I refused to play.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Lead training. I'm not an expert

With our neurotic dog he would fight the lead and go into panic mode on the streets so I started putting the lead on him in the garden and walking round the garden with him

A gentle pull back towards me and said "Walk nicely" when he pulled against the lead. When he walked nicely, masses of verbal praise and on the sit stay part of lead walking he would get a treat if he did well.

His treat was always a small piece of cheese - just a teeny tiny taster as I learned early on my dog would sell his soul for cheese and would be come putty in my hands when i had some on me :)

Lots of SIT! or DOWN! In a firm voice when he would freak out with lots of praise when sat or lay down.

Bowie sounds like a bright button so it won't take long to train him

Also Bowie sounds like a bright button so it won't be long before he tries pushing the boundaries and start training you :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Ecognome

Aug 28, 2016
France
Hi Lady A and Bowie
My only tip with lead training!
Bowie when you put the lead in Lady A hand she will become very excited at the thought of leaving the home and entering the big wide world!
When she opens the door you bolt out of it half tearing arm out of shoulder socket!
This will teach her who is in charge!
Having now gained controll you will poke your nose into everything you can find constantly crossing over the feet!
If this does not acheive detachment run round in circles tying the legs up! Roll over on you back look as pathetic as you can this should achieve it!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Love reading all your posts tho can't contribute much as I am not a dog owner altho all my children/grandchildren have them and they are all great characters in their own individual ways. Enjoy your time together, LadyA. He will grow up very soon.
PS cats fart too

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
The vet can advise on food portion weighs factoring in dogs own weight etc.
The food you buy also gives guidelines per dogs weight. We fed olive 3 times a day as pup and is now fed twice, morning and night, smaller portion morning and larger evening. It's all weighed and treats are given and factored in.

Ecogmome:D

We didn't have olive sorted with lead training , when away we use halti style leader to correct pulling with harness initially for her excitement . She is off lead on our forest walks.
There's lots of info online re treats in pocket, if pulling stop and walk other direction.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hi Lady A and Bowie
Bowie when you put the lead in Lady A hand she will become very excited at the thought of leaving the home and entering the big wide world!
When she opens the door you bolt out of it half tearing arm out of shoulder socket!
Having now gained controll you will poke your nose into everything you can find constantly crossing over the feet!
If this does not acheive detachment run round in circles tying the legs up! Roll over on you back look as pathetic as you can this should achieve it!

:D:D:D My Buddy went to that school of training. :D:D:D

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Lead training - lots of patience. Make him sit beside you and then choose a command (with a horse it would be 'walk on'). If he starts pulling and twisting stop, bring him round behind you and back to sit beside you and start the process again. Once you've got him to walk without worrying about being attached to the lead, which shouldn't take long, start using 'heel' to make him walk beside you. Easy to say and I have to admit only achieved with my last two dogs!!

Unless he is showing signs of being unwell I wouldn't worry about the eating. I think you're right that he's realising there is no competition so he's only taking on board what he needs, you may be able to drop one of the meals soon. Have fun!! xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hi Lady A and Bowie

Love it

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Batsue

Nov 4, 2014
Scotland
Hi Lady A and Bowie

I think Taz has been reading your tips, last week he jumped into our local burn on his extending lead and then decided to cross to the other side, he caught me off balance and jerked the lead so hard that I went in face first :eek::D. To add insult to injury the rocks were so slippery that I had to crawl out on my hands and knees.:rolleyes:

Ecognome

Aug 28, 2016
France
Living in France our dog Cookie had to be bilingual! Took no notice in both languages!

When OH became disabled after stroke and llost her eyesight, he senced she was in trouble and he changed over night! Became protective of her in all ways, before he would be absolute idiot! Our first walk with wheelchair along the canal, what a changed dog, no lead walking along side the chair, somehow everything we had tried to teach him (and thought we had failed) came out! When we stopped he sat, walk on he did!
Sadly our Cookie died protecting OH from on coming car, OH had lost her bearings and was at risk on the road! Cook barked and pushed her off the road and went under the wheels of the car, he died in seconds!

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Living in France our dog Cookie had to be bilingual! Took no notice in both languages!

When OH became disabled after stroke and llost her eyesight, he senced she was in trouble and he changed over night! Became protective of her in all ways, before he would be absolute idiot! Our first walk with wheelchair along the canal, what a changed dog, no lead walking along side the chair, somehow everything we had tried to teach him (and thought we had failed) came out! When we stopped he sat, walk on he did!
Sadly our Cookie died protecting OH from on coming car, OH had lost her bearings and was at risk on the road! Cook barked and pushed her off the road and went under the wheels of the car, he died in seconds!

Oh my goodness, that's terrible. So sorry. What a star Cookie was. :(:(

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Love reading all your posts tho can't contribute much as I am not a dog owner altho all my children/grandchildren have them and they are all great characters in their own individual ways. Enjoy your time together, LadyA. He will grow up very soon.
PS cats fart too

Oh, don't I know that! And a cat that has had his colon removed, you have NEVER smelled anything like!! :eek::eek: That even beats doggy farts!

I think maybe from now on, Bowie should have some play time before breakfast. His digestion had maybe not woken up. Because although I was going to be determined not to feed him again until his next meal, we had had a good bouncing playtime outside, and he was obviously very hungry when he came in, so I gave him the rest of his breakfast, which he wolfed down.

I'm going to need to put paving slabs down by the gate of his pen, where the earth is soft by the posts. He's a champion digger!! :eek: We had a tiny bit of lead training in the garden, but he's very inclined to jump, do "twirlies" and bite the lead. He will come when he's called - if he wants to. We haven't worked on "sit" or "heel" yet. Puppy training school beckons, because I can see he's very quick, with the collie's intelligence and the lurcher's cunning! From the shape of his head, there may be some terrier in there too, although that maybe the collie shape combined with the smooth fur? He just seems very broad across his "cheekbones" to me. After chasing up and down after his ball outside, he's now worn out and asleep. While out exploring the farther reaches of the back garden, Cana, the Springer next door, barked her loud deep "Woof", and poor Bowie looked at me, and made for our back door in great haste! :D He's used to all kinds of dogs - but this I suppose was a stranger barking a warning at him!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I think Taz has been reading your tips, last week he jumped into our local burn on his extending lead and then decided to cross to the other side, he caught me off balance and jerked the lead so hard that I went in face first :eek::D. To add insult to injury the rocks were so slippery that I had to crawl out on my hands and knees.:rolleyes:

That's the kind of scenario I'm keen to avoid! :D

Ecognome

Aug 28, 2016
France

Well done Taz glad to see you have your owner completing a successful course of lead training!