Saying Goodbye - Update

Son-In-Law.

Oct 13, 2016
Thank you all very much for your wise and kind words regarding my previous thread.

The sad news is that my Father-In-Law passed away late last Thursday evening. He was in no pain and slipped away quietly. Unfortunately (from my Wife and MIL's point of view) he died alone, but we were able to attend the hospital within a couple of hours to pay our respects.

After my previous thread, and armed with ALL of your comments and opinions I actually forced a discussion between myself, my Wife and my two daughters on the Friday before he died.

It got extremely emotional, with many tears, accusations of emotional blackmail, screaming and actual hysteria with broken crockery and some forcible restraint.

Ultimately, though it was extremely cathartic. The very next day my FIL had rallied a little and I accompanied my MIL and took my two girls to see him for (as turned out) the last time.

It is strange the way things turn out, but that Saturday turned out to be his "best" day for a few weeks. I left the girls in the hospital coffee shop to check out how he was. If he was violent or aggressive then we had agreed that the girls could then make a call as to whether they wanted to go in or not.

As it turned out, he was awake, making an effort to make himself communicate and seemed (We will never know one way or the other) to recognize everyone. The now accepted view from my family is that he was holding on to make sure that he saw his beloved granddaughters, and I am happy with this interpretation as it gives so much comfort.

I will share one really funny story that will live in my memory for ever. I apologise in advance for the language, but this is exactly how it happened. The words were difficult to understand but I was standing directly in front of him and, understood almost every word.

FIL: (directed at me) Have you got your shotgun?

Me: Shotgun? - I've got some air rifles, but no shotgun. What do you want a shotgun for?

At this point I was fearing the worst....

FIL: I want to shoot the ..... who stuck his finger up my ****...

I burst out laughing and then relayed the conversation to my (bewildered) MIL and daughters and they laughed heartily as well. This comment was completely in keeping with my late FIL's character.

On the Sunday, my Wife actually got him to eat bananas and custard, one of his favourites, and this was the first food that she'd seen him eat for weeks. Even so, hopes were not raised as we all knew that this was nearing the end.

The next few days were fraught and emotional as his body gradually shut down and by Tuesday there was no recognition or response. Thursday afternoon his breath was notably ragged and we were all expecting the worst.

Since a very late night on Thursday, a lot of tears, a lot of guilt, it definitely feels that we are in a different phase, with much to do. There is a palpable sense of relief (with associated guilt), but my MIL is talking about the future.

For any others in my position, please, please talk to your other half, tell your kids and deal with it as a family. Non-communication was threatening to tear my family apart, but now we feel stronger than ever.

With my thanks and appreciation

Son-In-Law

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Son-in-Law
your post is amazing
my condolences on the death of your father in law
a sad event made more bearable for your family through all that you describe - I'm so glad you all worked through things and came together
very best wishes to all your family

100 miles

Apr 16, 2015
Son in law,

I am pleased you were able to bring the family together to say goodbye to your FIL. Your FIL sounds as if he was as comfortable as possible at the end.

My condolences to you and your family.

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
Hi son in law,

I lost my mother on Saturday quite suddenly, was with her on the Friday night, had a chest infection that week but not unduly unwell, ate a little and died that night.

My son is beside himself as he had to work late on the Monday and did not get to say goodbye.

Your story lifted my spirits and made me smile, so thank you.

My condolences to your family.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
So sorry for your family's loss.. and thank you for your advice and sharing your experience. Stress and illness can be so destructive in a family. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
So sorry for your loss. As a family stick together and stay strong through these hard times ahead

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My condolences on your loss, but I'm so glad the family was able to come together. Well done.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law, but glad you managed to clear the air and resolve your differences with the rest of the family. Thank you for keeping us posted.

MollyD

Mar 27, 2016
Ireland
I'm so sorry for your loss, Son-In-Law.

Thanks for your wonderful post about your precious last visit with your FIL.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
Son-in-law, your family has benefited from you persuading them to go and see their grandfather. I know it is traumatic before the end but you managed to break the deadlock and get them there, something they will thank you for when they are older. My condolences to all of your family. You have lost someone who had a big personality so it will leave a hole in your life for a while.