Care home costs-joint savings

Cheesecake4242

Apr 9, 2013
I know you have always advocated this Pete but I honestly don't think it would have washed with my LA. Nor would any discretionary routine allowance for cost of home maintenance though, as I've said, they would allow half of this from capital for essential work upon receipt of work completed at the end of the financial year.

I was sent a financial notification every April which, alongside other details, stated the amount my husband would have to pay to them over the coming year. I would then write back and notify them of any added expense they hadn't taken into account. This always included half the buildings insurance but not the household and, as far as I can remember, the afore mentioned windows and, on another occasion, a funeral plan.

Once the £23,250 reduces to £14,250, then the LA aren't interested in what that is used for of course - though the OPG might be! - but before that, wouldn't it just be reducing the amount of capital too quickly in their account? Presumably even if you keep a record yourself, you would still have to notify the LA or the accounts wouldn't balance.

Just a bit mystified as my LA head of finance was great at bamboozling me with numbers and yes, Anne, I had £5,000 taken away for utility bills - which would have amounted to a fraction of that- while husband was self funding as they refused to subsidise his fees until his capital reduced to £18,000. He then had the audacity to somehow to try to say that in a way it was our advantage! Hence my comment about bamboozling!

The only money that my mum has spent so far is for funeral plans for both of them. I am sure that will be ok.

Their buildings insurance is included in the service charge for their flat. The next service instalment is due in February and will be £1700 for six months. I suppose I will need to argue the case at that time.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
The only money that my mum has spent so far is for funeral plans for both of them. I am sure that will be ok.

Their buildings insurance is included in the service charge for their flat. The next service instalment is due in February and will be £1700 for six months. I suppose I will need to argue the case at that time.

Not necessarily as your LA might be kinder than mine! They do have discretion and do vary from one authority to another. (Gosh that sounds a lot for 6 months!)
The funeral plans are fine even once the LA are subsidising the home fees.

Cheesecake4242

Apr 9, 2013
Not necessarily as your LA might be kinder than mine! They do have discretion and do vary from one authority to another. (Gosh that sounds a lot for 6 months!)
The funeral plans are fine even once the LA are subsidising the home fees.

£1700 is quite cheap compared to the £2800 that my late MIL was paying every six months for her assisted living flat. She also had to pay £500 per year for ground rent. (We have been trying to sell MIL's assisted living flat since August, every week that passes costs us over £100 in fees!).

Thank you for all the advice that everyone has given me. I am hopeful that the LA will allow us to increase my Father's personal allowance to enable my Mother to be able to pay her expenses. I will report back when we have had the financial assessment.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Just to say that an alternative that was suggested by the LA financial advisor was to forego the half of my husband's occupational pension and apply for pension credit. This worked out slightly less for me when she did the calculations but in fact, as PC is means-tested and I had some savings which of course I was under no obligation to disclose to her, it would have been lot less. It would have meant not having to pay council tax though but I had no wish to go down to benefits route.

Cheesecake4242

Apr 9, 2013
£1700 is quite cheap compared to the £2800 that my late MIL was paying every six months for her assisted living flat. She also had to pay £500 per year for ground rent. (We have been trying to sell MIL's assisted living flat since August, every week that passes costs us over £100 in fees!).

Thank you for all the advice that everyone has given me. I am hopeful that the LA will allow us to increase my Father's personal allowance to enable my Mother to be able to pay her expenses. I will report back when we have had the financial assessment.
My mother has now had her financial assessment. The funeral plans that I bought after my dad went into the care home were allowed. Also his 50% share of the service charge and ground rent were allowed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tarydew