Improvement in Mam's dementia since moving to a new nursing home.

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
We moved Mam to a new nursing home 2 weeks ago as we were unhappy with the care she was receiving. We were warned that she may deteriorate as she is end stage and it may be too much for her. I'm delighted to say that the opposite has happened. Mam is now speaking again, 3 or 4 words and making perfect sense. She has been unable to do this for many many months. She used to be slumped in a chair, head down whereas now, she is sitting with her head up and making eye contact. The change is dramatic to us. I didn't think that once she lost her speech that it would be possible for it to come back. I just wonder if she was just so depressed in the last home that she had no interest in life.
Her new home is so much better, the staff are kind and attentive and very supportive of the full family not just her. i'm keen to find out if this is unusual, if anyone else have had similar experiences.

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
I know just how you feel, my mum has recently moved from one wing to another in her lovely care home, and the overall change in her has amazed everyone, she's calmer, more sociable and eating more. It's such a great feeling for you too, isn't it?

Patricia Alice

Mar 2, 2015
Hi Callieflower,

The nursing home my mom resides in shows her so much love and affection, and to us also.

It is wonderful news regarding the upturn in your mum. Long may it continue. xx

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
We moved Mam to a new nursing home 2 weeks ago as we were unhappy with the care she was receiving. We were warned that she may deteriorate as she is end stage and it may be too much for her. I'm delighted to say that the opposite has happened. Mam is now speaking again, 3 or 4 words and making perfect sense. She has been unable to do this for many many months. She used to be slumped in a chair, head down whereas now, she is sitting with her head up and making eye contact. The change is dramatic to us. I didn't think that once she lost her speech that it would be possible for it to come back. I just wonder if she was just so depressed in the last home that she had no interest in life.
Her new home is so much better, the staff are kind and attentive and very supportive of the full family not just her. i'm keen to find out if this is unusual, if anyone else have had similar experiences.

Great news, Caulieflower.

Aisling xx

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Fantastic, some homes are just plain depressing and unstimulating - so glad you found an alternative

Shabba

Apr 9, 2016

So nice to hear that Callieflower. I think we lucked out with the NH we chose for mum too, even though in her own little bubble, she seems so content and sometimes animated - when the singer sings Agadoo she is waving her arms in the air! Is is so heartwarming to hear of others' positive experiences with good NH's, we are both lucky they care for our mums (and us) so well. Can sleep a little better at nights now! I hope it continues for your lovely mum x

Callieflower

Jan 9, 2013
Tyne and Wear
I know just how you feel, my mum has recently moved from one wing to another in her lovely care home, and the overall change in her has amazed everyone, she's calmer, more sociable and eating more. It's such a great feeling for you too, isn't it?

It really is such a great feeling. You feel like you can finally breathe again. I'm so glad that you're Mum is doing so well. :)