Poa

POPPIT

Nov 5, 2008
East Yorkshire
Hi everyone
Don't know why I am mentioning this but it has always bothered me. I have never had POA for my mum, she has been in CH for past 3 years and had dementia for 8 years, I am her appointee with Dwp, mums money is paid into my account which is then paid straight to care home by standing order, she has no savings apart from a little bit to pay towards her funeral, I will pay the rest.
I have been told Mum is now end of life and I am now really worried I will come across problems when she passes. All the relevant parties know I have not got POA and not had a problem but all of a sudden I am worried about it.
I remember my solicitor telling me it was not worth getting it as mum had no assets I even rang public guardian office and they said the same but I still worry I could get into bother for not having it but all she's got is her dwp pension. Why am I worried after all these years.

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
I am not sure what problems you think you may have when she passes away related to being a poa? Do you mean making end of life decisions for her before she passes? If you mean after she dies, a poa ceases at that point and presumably if you are next of kin you have authority to deal with matters. If she has made a will and names someone else as her executor they have the legal authority to deal with your mums affairs.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Don't worry, the DWP appointee is doing, and will continue to do, all that you need.

When she passes any power of attorney would be cancelled, the executor or representative will be the person in charge of her finances. Depending on any will this may be you but with limited finances it will be simple with no need for probate, the various charities (Are UK, CAB,..) should be able to help you with no need to involve a solicitor.

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
I never had POA for my Dad and encountered no problems apart from trying to cancel his multiple insurance policies for items he no longer owned but that was due to the dreadful behaviour of the company involved.

Dad died in September and as he had just under 30k in each bank account, probate wasn't even necessary.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
PoA ends the moment someone passes away so not having one now isn't a problem.
After death having had a PoA doesn't count for anything as far as I'm aware.
K