Flinging poo

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Hi all

We have reached another stage where mum pooped the bed and it was all over, I have a baby monitor but she didnt shout me to use the commode.

Carer was most displeased this morning, but give her her due she cleaned mum up and the bed and room.

Mums hands were covered and the bed rails too so a full set of washing to be done at 95 degrees.

Poop everywhere, anyone else?

Tim

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
just goes to show how undervalued our carers are and wages are not high enough.....

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Where do you get adult nappies, someone said Morrisons but I darent pop out because she needs constant supervision, sitting in chair at the moment but thinks she can walk, gets a couple of steps and falls, forgets to use her frame?

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Hi all

We have reached another stage where mum pooped the bed and it was all over, I have a baby monitor but she didnt shout me to use the commode.

Carer was most displeased this morning, but give her her due she cleaned mum up and the bed and room.

Mums hands were covered and the bed rails too so a full set of washing to be done at 95 degrees.

Poop everywhere, anyone else?

Tim

My husband was like this four years ago whilst in hospital. I was called to the hospital ward, because, he had messed himself, he had no idea what had happened or what it was. He was trying to get it off his hands, and it was being thrown everywhere. My Daughter and I arrived on the ward and cleaned him and the bed etc, up, explaining to him what had happened, this calmed him. Being an ordinary hospital ward they had no experience of someone with Dementia, so they were no help and not happy people. Instead of speaking to him quietly and letting him know what had happened, they were shouting at him.

This stage passed once he came home. When he returned home I started to use the incontinence pads, put one inside T shapes slip pads (like diapers), fixed at the side with tapes. Pull ups he could put his hand down, so no good for him. This solved my problem with him.

I hope you find a solution for you, soon.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Where do you get adult nappies, someone said Morrisons but I darent pop out because she needs constant supervision, sitting in chair at the moment but thinks she can walk, gets a couple of steps and falls, forgets to use her frame?

Contact your Doctor, they will arrange for DN to come to access the best pads for your Mam. These are supplied by the council free.

My Doctor also arranged for a rise and recliner chair for my husband. I can now pop to the shop, without worrying he has slipped off an ordinary chair. I lower it and he sleeps whilst I am gone.

Last edited:

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Doctors is shut for training today so have ordered some from the Age UK shop, for immediate use, next day delivery as it may take a while for district nurse and social services to get together.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Contact your Doctor, they will arrange for DN to come to access the best pads for your Mam. These are supplied by the council free.

My Doctor also arranged for a rise and recliner chair for my husband. I can now pop to the shop, without worrying he has slipped off an ordinary chair. I lower it and he sleeps whilst I am gone.

Shes asleep at the moment, but sometimes wakes up in her chair and tries to get up, she has a high back hospital chair with arms, its touch and go if she can get up and stay up.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Doctors is shut for training today so have ordered some from the Age UK shop, for immediate use, next day delivery as it may take a while for district nurse and social services to get together.

My husband cannot get out of the chair when semi or fully reclined.

They are usually pretty quick sorting things out (mine was) Doctor spoke to me on a Thursday the chair was delivered on Monday.

I have delivery of pads every 3 months.
T shaped Slips for night and pads with elastic knickers for day time. They may say pull ups. I find the pads with knickers are better, you just have to pull down the elastic knickers pull out the pad and replace with the fresh pad ( no lifting feet) . May I recommend asking your Doctor for Conotrane cream, stops water burns, rashes etc.

Louby65

Mar 26, 2014
Scotland
Hi Tim . I use pull up pants with an insert pad also , which my mum says is comfortable. It means I can just change the insert for light Incontinence and saves a clothes change etc . ( I use depend pull ups and attends , insert pads) . At night time I use a nappy style ( Tena all in one , super or ultima and use a pair of waterproof pants over it . It might sound a bit excessive but I've trialled many different pads over two years and these were the best . The ones from GP were not good enough , so I buy these myself . They have many benefits , re protection of skin being a priority and odour control . You can get them on Incontinence web sites and all offer next day delivery so it saves you having to store 3 months supply that sometimes happens with GP prescriptions . I am not criticising those who prefer to use the GP ones as they are best for their needs . Best wishes to you and your mum . Lou

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
The pads I had from Council were Tena, Supaplus (which are what I purchased before GP contacted the DN to come and give me advice on the best ones for Hubby). They were changed to ID last year. They are equivalent in quality and just as good as Tena. If at anytime I need to buy, I get Depends from Boots. The packs do not take up much room, I keep OH stock in a small children's wardrobe, so no problem for storage. One packs is a month's supply. I think it is worth trying them at least once, as it will save you a lot of money. If they do not suit, you can always cancel and buy privately.

Like Louby65, I also insert a pad, into the T shape slip I use at night. Many mornings, I find the T shape slip is still dry and I only have the pad to replace. On the odd occasion of 'poo' I just pull the pad away, and it is easy to clean him up. It also means the washable sheet under him is dry too, so less washing.

Last edited:

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Yes after last nights episode I am thinking one tablet every other day.

I would try half a day, and see how it goes. Look at Mam's diet, include fruit and veg. With a proper diet medication should not be needed. A chat with GP may help, ours supply dietary sheets.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Just to warn you that it can take some time to get the incontinence supplies sorted out via the NHS/SS. My Mum's assessment was carried out promptly but we have been told that it will take around 8 weeks for the first delivery!

rm2110

Oct 20, 2016

I agree with this, if you get the district nurse to come out, she WILL be assessed and if you explain her situation, they will supply incontinence pads. We do this in the care home i work in.

Hope this helps

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester

Hello there. If you go onto Age concern or type in Incontinence products you can buy online. I used Tena pants (pull ups) that I bought myself until things got worse and now the incontinence service provide them. On the packets it shows the absorbsion rate as in droplets so that you can try and choose which would do the job best. My husband only needed to wear them at the beginning as he left it too late or couldn't remember where the loo is. However he had a seizure two and a half weeks ago and is now doublely incontinent. What a challenge that is. Like you I cannot go out without him and taking him with me is difficult as I never know what his mood will be like. Sometimes he is fairly quiet other times he shouts at people. Hope you can buy online. They send the products quickly.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Just to warn you that it can take some time to get the incontinence supplies sorted out via the NHS/SS. My Mum's assessment was carried out promptly but we have been told that it will take around 8 weeks for the first delivery!

Mums GP is part time so she will have to do the referral when she is in.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
Mums GP is part time so she will have to do the referral when she is in.

When you say the GP is part time, is it just the GP, or a group, practice. In which case you can call any one of them, to start the process. Mam shouldn't have to wait because that GP only works part time. Although my OH has a designated Dr, anyone of the other Dr's will deal with him, if she is not available.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
When you say the GP is part time, is it just the GP, or a group, practice. In which case you can call any one of them, to start the process. Mam shouldn't have to wait because that GP only works part time. Although my OH has a designated Dr, anyone of the other Dr's will deal with him, if she is not available.

Receptionist insists on speaking to mums named doctor before making a referral to district nurse.