Indicative solicitor costs - a poa query

Wooster

Oct 5, 2016
Can anyone give me indicative costs if my husband engages a solicitor to help with a 'joint and several' PoA case? to do the paperwork etc...........

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hundreds of pounds. Some charge a few thousand. Totally unnecessary as POAs can be filled in for free, either online or in hard copy. Plenty of charities help fill it in for free as well.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I think most people do it themselves on the link below, it's pretty straight forward.
You do most of it on-line but you have to print of some of the pages, sign them and post them off. A Beate says your local AZ society, AGEUK or citizens advise may help.
Solicitors cost vary pretty wildly so it's a hard question to answer, some are a right rip off compared to others.
K

https://www.gov.uk/power-of-attorney/overview

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
We were charged £600 seven years ago for POA for both of us plus new wills. However other parts of the U.K.can be more expensive. If you do it online make sure you register it straight away. Get the one for finance and also health and welfare.

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
Currently starting that process here but it is different in Scotland. I am guessing it will cost around £1000-1500 for the solicitor.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
That cost is absolutely ludicrous, considering all the solicitor really does is input the info you give him!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I did my mum's by filing in the downloadable forms and getting them signed by appropriate people and sent off.

Not so easy in Scotland, where Marionq and Cherryade are. The Scottish lawyers have been crafty, there are no downloadable forms, and from what I found on a google it is stonrly pointed to go to a Solicitor although Katrine did direct me as to how to do it oneself. The whole document has to be drawn up. Having said that the solicitor my MIL uses produced what I considered a defective version the first time round, and we had a battle to get her to add replacement attorneys, but that is another story.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
Can anyone give me indicative costs if my husband engages a solicitor to help with a 'joint and several' PoA case? to do the paperwork etc...........

It cost me close to 2000 euro in Ireland. I have sole POA. I need to contact solicitor again and sort out a will which will ensure continuous care if I died before OH.

Putting that off at the moment to sort out my head space.

Aisling xx

BIWO

Sep 1, 2016
Bedfordshire
Just over a year ago it cost, just shy of £1000 to set up a POA via a solicitor. (We had to use a solicitor as we needed an independent person to validate that my Mum was not being persuaded against her will).

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
My niece is just going into family law ...il,be having a word re making things easier for POA in these places.

alyfen

Sep 25, 2016
I just used a solicitor to register an EPA.Different from the new LPA. It was £264.75 for the solicitor to contact 7 relatives and to write to OPG and £110 to actually register it with OPG. If I had realised how simple it was I would have done it myself. It took 12 weeks from Contact to collecting the POA (today). OPG were quick. Solicitor was painfully slow! If you can, do it yourself. :(

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
He didn't even fill it in, he just registered it by sending a few letters? You could have done that yourself! Why, why, why? Solicitors really have a lot to answer for.

Soobee

Aug 22, 2009
South
my parents were charged over £800 for 2 x Finance LPAs (joint and several for 3 attorneys) and 2 x mirror wills (they weren't straightforward wills). It turned out the solicitor did the wrong thing and we had to hire another firm to sort out their mistake which could have cost us many many thousands, and did cost us a lot which they refused to reimburse fully.

Despite my experiences, I'm thinking of getting a solicitor to draw up wills for us but will do our LPAs ourselves, now I know exactly what is required and we don't need to add anything in the joint and several bit. If you are unsure and need it to be totally unchallengable I would seek advice.

Frederic H

Apr 1, 2015
Devon

I have just got the forms and filled them in for my own POA and it will cost me just the fee which is £100 I think
I let my solicitor do the one for my wife and it cost hundreds .
The pack you get from the office of the public guardian is so thorough and helpful.
save the money!

Cherryade

Jul 27, 2015
That cost is absolutely ludicrous, considering all the solicitor really does is input the info you give him!

In Scotland we do not have forms available to fill in for POA. That only is for England. Here the information and wording of the POAs are 'free formatted' by the solicitor. That is why it is so much more expensive in Scotland.