Sitting service

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Following a carer's assessment I was contacted by our local council's sitting service and told I was 'entitled' to a social sit once a fortnight of up to 6 hours plus a sitter for all and any medical appointments for me. I knew nothing about this but decided to give it a try. Mick has had two sits from two different sitters and been very happy with them. They both went out for a walk with him and Stanley dog. They will apparently take him places on buses or walk, give him meals, in fact do anything except give medication without a form being completed and they can't take him in their cars. There are 13 sitters in the team. We have now met 3 of them as one came to explain the service, and they are all lovely. I am overwhelmed by this support and I thought I would share it in case there is anybody else who didn't know about such a thing.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
That's good to hear.
There used to be one in mums area called crossroads but they stopped it:confused:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
We're getting sitters through Age UK, they take John for walks or play games with him. It's a great service.

Sunseeker1977

Jan 3, 2015
North Yorkshire
Hi Trisha4, I see you are in Yorkshire.... I would really like to utilise this sitting service, which area of yorkshire are you in and does any particular agency provides the service, if you are uncomfortable posting could you let me know by PM ... . As life is its almost impossible to go shopping or dentists doctors etc.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Hi Beate do you pay for the service through Age UK?

No, because at the moment my London borough does not charge for home care, which this falls under. But this is a very rare occasion and not representative. Sorry.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Hi Trisha4, I see you are in Yorkshire.... I would really like to utilise this sitting service, which area of yorkshire are you in and does any particular agency provides the service, if you are uncomfortable posting could you let me know by PM ... . As life is its almost impossible to go shopping or dentists doctors etc.

I'm in East Yorkshire. The service is called the sitting service and it is provided free of charge by the council. Happy to answer any questions.

sunflower492

Oct 13, 2016
Ely, Cambridgeshire
Is this the same as the GP Prescription for Carers we have in Cambridgeshire? You go to your GP and they give you a prescription as a Carer which you then take to the Carers Trust and sort out with them the care you need. They have pointed me to AGE UK as I want a sitter for my husband while I go out to Art Class.

pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
I too am entitled to 9 hours sitting service but am beginning to find they seem to be reluctant to attend. Rarely do I see the same person twice and I get the impression that they are bored and do not have much experience with Dementia sufferers and would be rather more happy dealing with a person who did not have mental issues. This caring organisation was recommended to me by our Social Worker so I assumed that they would be used to dealing with this. My partner just needs someone to keep him company while I go out, he is not incontinent, violent or bad tempered he just sits and colours or watches tv. It has got to the point that I do not want to phone the agency up and am seriously thinking of looking elsewhere. Is Age UK a good place to start.

irismary

Feb 7, 2015
West Midlands
I would say Age UK as our sitter is very good and very dementia experienced. She is the second one we have had and both have been excellent. We do have to pay £15 per hour as the council no longer fund it. My OH is also pleasant chatty non aggressive so he isn't hard work for them. Carers at his day club are good too. I think to date I have been lucky with this side of things. If Age UK don't provide the service in your area they may be able to recommend an agency.

pussygalore

Oct 25, 2015
I would say Age UK as our sitter is very good and very dementia experienced. She is the second one we have had and both have been excellent. We do have to pay £15 per hour as the council no longer fund it. My OH is also pleasant chatty non aggressive so he isn't hard work for them. Carers at his day club are good too. I think to date I have been lucky with this side of things. If Age UK don't provide the service in your area they may be able to recommend an agency.

Thank you irismary I will contact Age Concern. I am quite happy to pay for this service if I am assured that the sitters are Dementia trained. My last sitter (yesterday) was confused about this walking about at about 5.00 p.m and when I said this was sundowning and nothing to be worried about she said that she had never head of it. So I rest my case about being dementia trained.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
Is this the same as the GP Prescription for Carers we have in Cambridgeshire? You go to your GP and they give you a prescription as a Carer which you then take to the Carers Trust and sort out with them the care you need. They have pointed me to AGE UK as I want a sitter for my husband while I go out to Art Class.

I don't think this is the same. Mine does not involve the GP, it comes through adult social care, a council service.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
How do I sign up for the sitting service please
Welcome to the forums Chille70. My partner has a lady who comes for a sitting service and that was set up by Adult Social Services after a care needs assessment. You are entitled to one as well as a care needs assessment for yourself where you can also ask for anything you think will help you. You can just ask a care agency separately if you want to do it privately, I know the carers support centre here can set it up for people in S Glos. Ask for the social services assessments anyway.