Nhs Continuing Healthcare

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Hi all,

Mum is in hospital following a fall. She lives with me and has done for a number of years. She is in the final stages. We have come to the most heartbreaking decision I have ever had to make that we can no longer look after her at home. It is getting impossible to help her as she won't allow help. She is not eating and drinking and takes me all my power and might to get her to eat. Non of the nurses are able to get her to eat drink or take meds, she cannot communicate. She hasn't broken anything so the X-ray shows but she has not walked since, it seems more the dementia and the fact she is in hospital environment to be honest. The nurses keep mentioning a MDT meeting at the hospital to assess what type of care mum will need. I have googled this and it mentions the NHS Continuing healthcare. I have been trying to get my head round it but am at a loss as to weather or not mum is eligible and if it's worthy of fighting for. Can anyone give us any advice on what to ask for and check we are being properly assessed when in the meeting. Mum is below the £23k threshold anyway but is it easier and quicker to get Nhs chc? I would safely say this is the worst time of my life! Ever! Without trying to understand this jargon!! Xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There's quite a long thread about CHC on the link below, there's a lot of information and some useful links on it plus some other people's stories.
If her assets are under £23k then the LA will pay part but she will lose her benefits and pensions, under £14k the LA fund it all is the short version.
AZ or dementia aren't qualifications for CHC there has to be a primary medical need, AZ is a social issue.
K

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?86059-CHC-(Continuing-Healthcare)-support-thread

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Nhs continuing care

Yeah thanks I have read and read and read and still non the wiser, I understand that it should be assessed when leaving hospital and I've seen the checklist and I would say she does qualify but I'm sure they will say she won't! I guess I will just have to find out at the meeting whenever that will be! I'm more confused after reading up on it! I just want her out of hospital and in a decent home where she can live out the rest of this **** disease! But guess that's all going to take time!

alyfen

Sep 25, 2016
Yeah thanks I have read and read and read and still non the wiser, I understand that it should be assessed when leaving hospital and I've seen the checklist and I would say she does qualify but I'm sure they will say she won't! I guess I will just have to find out at the meeting whenever that will be! I'm more confused after reading up on it! I just want her out of hospital and in a decent home where she can live out the rest of this **** disease! But guess that's all going to take time!

Empathy! I knw what you mean about this being the worst time. Do google Coughlan case and the threads on here about CHC. Your post reads like me a few weeks ago - I was so stressed and distressed (still am) - my Mum had a stroke and then was admitted to hospital. It seems to me that they key thing for CHC was Mum's cognition (poor), skin (sores) and her ability to move (just enough to fall over). The greater the falls risk the more likely CHC it seems to me. Hospital did 2 MDTs on Mum before they decided she as eligible for NHS CHC. This is a truly horrible time but you are not alone :)

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Thank you x

It really is! Thank you, it's so cruel and so is the way the system works! Mums Alzheimers is getting so bad! She just won't eat or drink! It's heartbreaking enough deciding to eventually put her in a home after I said I wouldn't, bad enough watching my mum so distressed! Watching her starve herself or dehydrate herself to death!! I hate Alzheimers! I just want her settled in a nursing home where it's quiet at least, so maybe she can settle, she hates all the commotion! xx

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Hey there, just wanted to chip in with words of support/sympathy

We are in the same boat with our mum, late stage Alz, staying at the moment in a mental health unit following section 2

Awaiting the results of CHC panel meeting (second one, she was assessed last year, and was awarded Full nursing care but not CHC funding then)

It's a waiting game, and yes, it is seriously upsetting and stressful seeing our mums like this.

I hope that we both get the best results for our mums, fingers x'd for you - and any questions - feel free - I think I just about understand the basics, thanks to the wonderful TPers on this forum!

Toddleo

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Awe yes, a frustrating waiting game! Thank you! Hugs to you too and somehow we will stay strong even though I feel like folding. Best wishes to you too and hope you and your mum find some peace xx

Not so Rosy

Nov 30, 2013
Both my Mum and Dad were awarded CHC on the grounds of Dementia only. Neither were on any medications for other illnesses.

I think it very much depends on who is the lead professional pushing for the award and whether there is any inappropriate behaviour involved. Most of the other distressing symptoms involved with Dementia don't seem to carry too much weight, which of course I think is dreadfully wrong.

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
Mdt

Hi Sarahp the term MDT is used a lot in healthcare standing for multi disciplinary team meeting. It involves all departments who are involved in someone's care getting together to decide how to proceed with a treatment plan, care etc. It is not necessarily referring to CHC funding although a MDT is also part of that process. Once the way forward has been agreed the funding side will be looked into but if your mum is below the threshold funding will be paid by SS or Nhs either way.

sarahp

Feb 23, 2013
Hi Sarahp the term MDT is used a lot in healthcare standing for multi disciplinary team meeting. It involves all departments who are involved in someone's care getting together to decide how to proceed with a treatment plan, care etc. It is not necessarily referring to CHC funding although a MDT is also part of that process. Once the way forward has been agreed the funding side will be looked into but if your mum is below the threshold funding will be paid by SS or Nhs either way.

Thanks, meeting now arranged for next week so guess we will see! Apparently it's not a quick process which means can't get her out of there any time soon ☹️️Xxx

Leswi

Jul 13, 2014
Bedfordshire
There is a fast track pathway for CHC which gives an answer within 48 hours when necessary. My mum was very similar to yours, she fell and never got out of bed again. She went for XRays etc then I took her home. I contacted District Nurses the next day for an assessment and we got a hospital bed, hoist etc delivered next day. I got CHC funding to have carers help me keep mum at home. She took milk based supplement drinks but only odd mouthful of food after that. My thoughts are with you.