Falls

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Hi All

Over the past few days mum has had a couple of falls, she was taken to hospital for an xray on her hip which is still hurting her and today she fell out of bed trying to get up to answer the front door. Seems she forgets she cant walk very well.

Tonight her hip and neck are in pain and she has a bruise on her back according to the carer and 60mg of codeine doesnt seem to be helping so 111 doctor prescribed 5ml of liquid morphine.

They asked me in hospital if she had a hospital bed at home which would be handy to stop her falling out of bed but Im not sure how to get one, does social services take care of this or is it the nhs.

We also have a physio coming on wednesday to assess her. I dont think I can do any more.

Any suggestions welcome.

Tim

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"They asked me in hospital if she had a hospital bed at home which would be handy to stop her falling out of bed but Im not sure how to get one, does social services take care of this or is it the nhs."

It will be the Local Authority.

Be careful, a bed with guard rails, (who is going to raise these when the person is in bed?!!!) can be dangerous when the person climbs over them and has a worse fall.

Best solution is a lowered bed, with no rails, placed against a wall with an alarmed bump mattress on the non wall side.

Perhaps the hospital need a refresher course!!

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Hi there
Ring your gp . You want a district nurse hospital bed assessment urgently..those are the key words.its an nhs issue. Also consider a mat by her bed to alert you if she gets out of bed. It also helps if she can be tucked in fairly tightly with a sheet to discourage getting out of bed.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
My dad is at risk of falls. He left hospital and I was told he was needing one on one care as he falls. Since he's been home he's had about 8 falls in a year luckily cuts and bruises but no more. He already has back pain from osteoarthritis
OT said take up the rugs get sensor pads hook him up to careline with a pendant (he has) and more handles and things to hold on too
I asked about a bed more for his back pain but they keep saying he's not eligible and to buy him a topper
Good luck

doodle1

May 11, 2012
Interesting comment nitram. It's funny how every health professional differs.a year ago we were advised against a hospital bed for exactly your reasons. A year later a hospital bed is the magic answer. I do think it depends how mobile the person is. A year ago mum might have climbed over the bed rails ,now sadly or happily she can't.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Looks like doodle1's suggestion is the best to get a hospital bed. Mum said to me tonight is there nothing you can put to stop me falling out.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Ask about hip protectors too. They reduce the consequences of the fall (broken hips can be fatal and usually do lasting damage to mobility apparently), though obviously they don't stop falls happening. I'm not sure who pays for them ... would the money come from the budget of the Community Occupational Health Services?

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
That's foxed her she was funny she said what have u done to me I cant get out of bed. STopped her little night time jaunts.

Now if only I could do something about Dalton the dog stealing my place in my bed when I go downstairs!

Last edited:

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Ooh I wonder if I can do the same for my dad. He has osteoarthritis and back pain 24/7 and gets up some nights 5 times
New bed = I get to sleep