Decaffeinated tea and coffee?

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
we were advised by the continence nurse at the continence clinic (mum is incontinent), that's caffeine is an irritant to the bladder and we need to change her to de-caff (she drinks a lot of tea and only one cup of milky coffee per day).

she is 82. I took this on board and swapped all of mums tea and coffee over (tea is in a big jar so no obvious sign). I had told my sister what the continence nurse had said and she said it wouldn't make any difference sticking with the caffeine products.

this was a couple of months ago. Sis was not aware I had done it and she likes her tea, so she has been drinking it at mums since then.
I told her yesterday and she was not happy and said, at 82 year old mum should have the pleasure of drinking caffeinated tea (mum has not noticed the change).

I told her to take her own teabags if she wants to when she goes (I drink green tea so this doesn't affect me). She was really not happy that I had made this change!

what does anyone else think - I believe it could be beneficial to mum?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Stick with the de-caff, urge incontinence can be aggravated by caffeine.

Your mum is content with the de-caff and from what you said sis hasn't noticed any difference in her own pleasure of drinking tea.

Ali67

Feb 4, 2016
If your mum isn't bothered then stick with it. My husband's aunt didn't notice and we did keep an eye out for headaches/caffeine withdrawal when she first changed over but she was fine.
It also means we can top up from our own supply (we only have decaff at home) when the teabags/coffee go missing!

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I have my own bladder problems Bev. As a result they told me to switch to decaff and also cut down or dilute apple juice and avoid citrus drinks like orange or lemon. It does make a difference and you do get used to decaff being a little weaker after a while. If your mum hasn't noticed any difference and it helps, then stick with it.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I was advised to cut down on OH coffee ( very strong, very sweet) after 18:00. Worked a treat! I rarely drink caffeine after that time now, also cuts down on me getting up in the night.

cobden28

Jan 31, 2012
Stick with the de-caff, urge incontinence can be aggravated by caffeine.

Your mum is content with the de-caff and from what you said sis hasn't noticed any difference in her own pleasure of drinking tea.

I fully agree with this - if you can tolerate the taste of decaff tea & coffee then stick with it because it can and does irritate the bladder. I speak from personal experience here.

You do the shopping for your Mum so if Mum hasn't noticed the different taste of decaff then stick with that because it is supposed to be better for you. If your sister doesn't like decaf then let het take her own teabags when she goes to visit Mum!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
As long as your sister does not swop back while you are not looking!!! All she has to do is a little research about caffeine and dementia!

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi beverrino
if your mum had noticed the change and was no longer drinking, then I'd say swap back
but your mum hasn't noticed so is not missing out on taste or caffeine and may be benefitting
so personally I'd tell my sister 'Yep, you've got a point - I'll see to it' from which she could draw what conclusions she wanted - and I'd do nothing, except make sure I took the box/jar home with me and leave the teabags and coffee in some other container
(hands up - I've actually done this; can't be doing with this kind of ill informed nonsense - sorry; my sensibility slipped a little there :rolleyes:)

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
Stick with the decaf. Bev I'm sure its a lot better for your mum especially as she has not noticed. I should watch that your sister doesn't change it back especially while you are away. You can do without this hassle. xx

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
Updating this thread

I thought I should update this thread I started in July. I would like to add to this that after having very frequent UTI's in the past, following the switch to de-caf in May (5 months ago), my mum has not had a single UTI (hope I am not tempting fate here)

so an overall difference has actually been made in changing to de-caf (for anyone who is interested)

:):):):):):)

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Just tell sister you've swapped back but don't change a thing. If she hasn't noticed a difference so far, who is she to stick her unqualified oar in?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
well, beverrino, that's quite a result :)
long may your mum be UTI free and continue to enjoy her tea drinking