hello i am new here

mo lowe

Apr 24, 2008
hello, my mum has picks senmatic dememtia she is 56 and has had it since she was 50, my mum has lost a lot of her words and understanding she only knows a few sentences and tends to replete them and ask the same questions, when you answer her it is like she doesn't understnad as she will ask them again and again. Her behaviour is very child like and her personal cleaning has be come low. we have also found that her eating has changed as now she will only eat things like chicken and potatos and she doesn't really want to try new foods,

i am only 21 the youngest of my family, even know my family is very close and strong i still find things very hard, i have a very understanding boyfriend who has been a great help with my mum, i just wanted to know if there was other people going through this.
thank you.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi mo lowe, welcome to TP.

You're very young to be going through this, and I'm not surprised you're finding it hard. You're lucky though that you have a close family, you'll be able to support each other.

My husband has a version of the same dementia, and there are others on the forum, so you'll find support here.

Please post whenever you have a question, or just need to talk.

Best wishes,

mo lowe

Apr 24, 2008
Hi Skye, thank you for your support it is helpful to know that others are in the same situation. Today we have had a new develepment for the last couple of weeks she has had redness under her eyes, we have been to the doctors on two occasions and they have supplyed her with some cream. This morning we noticed that the right hand side of her face had dropped and swolen a little, and that she is only useing the left had side of her mouth to speak out of. Her speech in it self is fine and she can talk to us, also her right eye dosent seem to be blinking properly. I was wondering if this is because she has a low amune system and has picked up an infection which has swolen her face and is causeing these symptons or we are worried that she may of had a minor stoke during the nite.
Has any one else on the forum come across these symptom before? we are going to go back to the doctors tomorrow, will let you know how we get on.

do you mind me asking about your husband's symptom? and how long he has had picks?

Thank you Mo Lowe

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Mo

John was diagnosed eight years ago, and has been in an EMI unit since October last year.

He doesn't have true Pick's, he has Primary Progressive Aphasia. He lost his language early on, but didn't have any other major symptoms until last year, when he collapsed suddenly as a result of a UTI.

From your description, your mum might have had a slight stroke, that would affect the side of her face. But I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you. John never had anything like that.

I'm glad you're taking her to see her GP tomorrow, it certainly should be investigated.

Please let us know how you get on.

Love,

mo lowe

Apr 24, 2008
thanks i will let you know how we get on, i am sorry to hear about john, i have not hear about that condition before, can i ask what an EMI and an UTI?

mo lowe x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Sorry!:eek:

EMI -- Elderly Mentaly Infirm -- in other words, a dementia unit.

UTI -- Urinary Tract Infection -- water works infection, can create havoc for a dementia patient.

Love,

mo lowe

Apr 24, 2008
oh right i see thank you, that is a handy think to know mum has her doctor appointment today at 11 so will let you know how she's get on, :)

mo lowe

Apr 24, 2008
hello sorry it has taken me a while to update on my mum she has bells pawsey so she is on pills and had cream and thank god not a bad as first throught, i took my mum shopping last weekend to get her clothes as my dad is taking her away for a week on a cruse he picked a boat as she cant go anywhere and cant get on or off the boat. i was surpized at how much weight my mum has put on. i hate the looks you get from people when i am with her, i am not embrassed by her but i feel that people dont show respect, but at least she doesn't notice.

mo lowe x

annesharlie

Apr 10, 2007
Vancouver Island, Canada
Mo Lowe

I am just so impressed by your maturity - at 21 - you saying you don't care about other people staring at your mum - that the problem is with them. Your mum would be so very very proud of you if she understood the situation. How sad it is. My husband has dementia, and is 53, and I have a daughter of 22, she takes him out and about too, so I understand. You have been forced to grow up and appreciate what is really important about life, at your young age. Many people reach old age and still don't have their priorities right.

salacious

May 25, 2008
west midlands
hey

hi there,
my mother has alzheimers disease, she is 44 and it is at the later stages, agression and total memory loss. i also have a very good boyfriend to help me through the hard alone times, but it is lovely to come on here and be surrounded by people who are going through the same thing as yourself and can identify with what you are saying. im not going to lie to you, unfortunately this disease does get worse and you have to find the strength to push through the hard times, but trust me you will get through them, please send me a message if you want to talk.

much love
sara

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa