Pads n pull ups in hospital

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Has anyone supplied their own pull ups etc for CH or hospital stay.
I know they are only allowed so many pull ups per week but keep dad dry at night certainly. They usually use huge pad nappy type, but on dad choosing to do things his own way today :rolleyes: I needed new pad and was given a tiny thing by nurse:confused:

Wondering whether to offer supplying , or would that just end that way ?
Just want dad not wet , we do his washing .
Not been in this situation before .

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I think it's a given that pads are provided in a hospital just like they would be in a care home, but obviously they should use the correct pad size. It's part of things he needs, like medication and food and hospital PJs, and I wouldn't have thought there's an allocation. I certainly never supplied any and he certainly never lacked any. If you did provide your own you would have to label them and tell every nurse where they are kept, otherwise they might forget to use them or they might disappear. Hospitals are not used to using other than their own provisions, they even order the patient's medication afresh and ignore their dossette boxes! It totally messed up my pharmacy'so reorder system when he got out of hospital.

BeardyD

Jan 19, 2016
Not to do with incontinence but when my dad was in hospital I had to take in Stoma bags for his colostomy. It was a large "university" hospital with all the facilities but they didn't even have a small supply for emergencies. Once when he was taken in urgently I had to go back to his house to get some.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
When my husband was in hospital they used just one size of pad, often without even a pair of net pants to keep it in place, (quick and easy for them to change him, but such an infection risk, as he would try to move the wet pad with his hands.) I asked for him to always have the pants on over the pad for this reason and for the sake of his dignity.

One day they ran out of pads, and had to go looking for some on another ward, which took a while, so I took some in from home in case it happened again. The ones from home (continence service) seemed luxurious in comparison to the cheap flimsy ones the ward were supplied with.

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
It seems to depend who sees to dad as to what's used, I think 3 pull ups are allowed, I will carry on as is for now. They use either the net (which dad doesn't like) with pad or his undies .
I had a conversation with CH and she explained their allocation but asked if need be can we supply some extra pull ups if we prefer at night.
We bought for dad of Internet .