Memantine.Thoughts?

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
My mother has been doing quite good, the odd moment of total confusion but doing well considering.

She was offered Memantine but said no. She was really sick on reminyl xl and had to come off it. he gp said they might, if your lucky, work 6-12 months so is it worth it?

The doctor at the memory clinic said the same basically and that its important to take her well being and happiness in to consideration. he thought she looked great and looked very happy. Many have said this. While on reminyl she miserable, constipation, diarrohea, really went in to herself and didn't want to be around anyone.

He didn't give a stage but memantine is for the moderate stage and the signs recently seem to sggest that's where she is right now.

He will see her again in April but if we want the drug we can just ring for it. my mother doesn't seem to want it though.

Im probably happier for her to continue as is as she seems happy but any thoughts on the drug?did you find it useful?

Guzelle

Aug 27, 2016
Sheffield
My husband has been taking it for about a month now and has improved a lot. He is now going out on his own and is more reasonable. Not sure how long it will last he has mixed dementia diagnosed in August but had it for about 4 years.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
The drugs don't work for everybody but I feel they are worth a try. If memantine doesn't work for your mother, it can be discontinued. Otherwise, you'll never know if she could benefit from it.

My mother benefited from it for quite some time.

FLT

Apr 19, 2015
It's really helped my mother (DLB). When the GP took her off it around five weeks ago she went, in the course of a fortnight, from being able to do everything for herself to me having to toilet, wash and dress her. She is now back on it and improving but I wish she had never stopped taking it.

curtainsgalore

Nov 2, 2014
My Mum Was put on Mementane and went completely do-lally. It was introduced gradually, 5mg, 10mg and then 20g. When the dose went up to 20mg Mum reacted to it really badly, wandered in the night in freezing condition and police helicopter had to find her. Of course it may have just been a coincidence but I don't think so.
She was put back on 10mg and has stayed on it for nearly 2 years now and been in a EMI very secure care home for 19 months, unable to do anything for herself. I thought Mementane was for advanced dementia rather than moderate, but maybe I'm wrong. She was ever given any other medication.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

totallyconfused

Apr 18, 2016
My Mum Was put on Mementane and went completely do-lally. It was introduced gradually, 5mg, 10mg and then 20g. When the dose went up to 20mg Mum reacted to it really badly, wandered in the night in freezing condition and police helicopter had to find her. Of course it may have just been a coincidence but I don't think so.
She was put back on 10mg and has stayed on it for nearly 2 years now and been in a EMI very secure care home for 19 months, unable to do anything for herself. I thought Mementane was for advanced dementia rather than moderate, but maybe I'm wrong. She was ever given any other medication.

I thought so too but I googled it and it said it can sometimes be used to treat moderate?my mother definitely isn't advanced because shes physically fine. The doctors don't seem to want to give a stage and just sort of nod when I give examples or say oh that's interesting

InnerGeek

Feb 9, 2016
Memantine is sometimes given at earlier stages if the other group of drugs (the one that contains Ariceptetc I think) are contraindicated for the pwd. My dad's consultant has him pegged at the mild stage based on CT scan and test results, but concedes that the symptoms exhibited are nearer the moderate end. Because he's got a history of gastric ulcers and bleeds he can't take the group of drugs ideal for his stage so has been put on memantine in the hope that it can do something for him.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
My mother has been doing quite good, the odd moment of total confusion but doing well considering.

She was offered Memantine but said no. She was really sick on reminyl xl and had to come off it. he gp said they might, if your lucky, work 6-12 months so is it worth it?

The doctor at the memory clinic said the same basically and that its important to take her well being and happiness in to consideration. he thought she looked great and looked very happy. Many have said this. While on reminyl she miserable, constipation, diarrohea, really went in to herself and didn't want to be around anyone.

He didn't give a stage but memantine is for the moderate stage and the signs recently seem to sggest that's where she is right now.

He will see her again in April but if we want the drug we can just ring for it. my mother doesn't seem to want it though.

Im probably happier for her to continue as is as she seems happy but any thoughts on the drug?did you find it useful?
My mum was started on memantine, but by the time she was on full dose she was having bad side effects. Very unsteady and more confused than normal. Doctor has took her off it and she has settled. Not good for everyone. Mum is 87 and has Alzheimer's and vascular dementia. Really hard for her.

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire

My mum too had terrible side effects with mementane, glad she is off it now.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum reacted badly to this medication also. 1st week on 5mg was ok, but not great and by the time we reached 15mg-week 3, she was manic and restless, really thought she would fall and hurt herself. So stopped. It was worth trying, but I always had a problem with long term taking this one.