Donepizel or Mamantine?

Naomi's Mum

Sep 26, 2016
After being on Donepizel for 4 years, then recently having an low b.p. episode (o/n in hospital) but now cleared by Cardiac Dept, they have changed Dad's (aged 92) meds to Mamantine. The effect has been dramatic - sleepy, non mobile, seemily depressed. I can't see the advantage of this and would prefer him to go back on donepizel even if a higher risk factor. Brothers and I have POA. any thoughts?

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
After being on Donepizel for 4 years, then recently having an low b.p. episode (o/n in hospital) but now cleared by Cardiac Dept, they have changed Dad's (aged 92) meds to Mamantine. The effect has been dramatic - sleepy, non mobile, seemily depressed. I can't see the advantage of this and would prefer him to go back on donepizel even if a higher risk factor. Brothers and I have POA. any thoughts?

Can you discuss the change of meds with whoever has been monitoring him on the Donepezil?
I suppose a lot depends on the degree of risk, but sometimes what seems a good idea to one department, eg Cardiac, would not be viewed in the same way by another, eg Memory Clinic, or geriatrician.
My husband takes both Donepezil and Memantine. He is 74 and diagnosed in 2003. Takes a pill to keep BP stable, and this has worked well so far.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Naomi's Mum
welcome to TP - I'm sure you'll find the forum helpful as there's lots of useful info here

any alteration or tweak to meds can throw up some concerning changes; it's often a tricky balance between benefit and unwanted effects - so do speak with your dad's consultant/GP and voice your observations and concerns - maybe the dose isn't quite right, maybe the time it's taken could be altered ... - it's all so individual to the person and always worth discussing with the medics

my dad also changed from Donepezil to Memantine (I think because of a potential clash with a new med needed for another condition) and seemed to take the change pretty well; he was a bit dozy at first so they tweaked the dose

best wishes

Last edited:

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone

My husband was the same on Memantine it's usually more used for aggression . It made my OH permanently tired, drowsy and very slow. We eventually switched it to Rivastigmine and it felt like I got my husband back . However he didn't have your dads problems. I would certainly discuss it with his doctor or consultant . Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

DivingDavey

Feb 18, 2015
Solihull
My mother was the same on Memantine, very very drowsy - we discussed it with the doctors and they cut the dose in half which made a difference.

I do hope you can get it sorted quickly.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba