Different Support Needs for Younger People with dementia

Pb46

Mar 9, 2016
Ulverston, Cumbria
Hi my Husband is 50 with Alzheimer's, we are very lucky to have an early onset co-ordinator from Alzheimer's society for our region. With her help we have set up a local group with some other families in the same situation. We are in infancy but are trying to meet once a month at a local pub x

Acorn

Nov 28, 2012
Hello. As someone working in the community I wondered if carers or younger people with dementia could could make specific suggestions about activities/groups they would find more engaging or useful than groups for older people with dementia? Thanks

I recently attended a pre-Christmas fair at which there were two stalls with juke boxes. It did occur to me that a juke box could possibly be a focus for groups of older early-onset people.

Andju

Jul 4, 2015
Groups for younger people

Are there any groups in the day time set up for younger people with dementia in Somerset .

wheresthepony

Sep 13, 2015
time of meetings

Hello My husband was diagnosed last year aged 52 - he is still early stages and definitely doesnt want to mix with any other dementia sufferers who are further down the line. He is an ex police officer so used to being very active and in control. He helps out with a local youth group and manages gardening with a friend but cannot arrange anything himself. I like the idea of arranging some volunteering for him to do - as he just wants to still feel productive and useful. I am wary of having to explain and undermine him behind his back but also supporting him so that people understand. It is such a fine line

My other bugbear is the timing of evening events - we have two primary school age children and all the talks or meet-ups are 6pm. Totally the wrong time if you have kids. There seems to be hardly anything out there to support families where the dementia sufferer has young children. I suppose because it is unusual - but there are still quite a few of us

ledlowe

Sep 7, 2016
For me personally, a reading group (I still enjoy reading even though I sometimes struggle), a cafe is a good idea, something informal and welcoming rather than a dingy room full of old people watching war movies and listening to old gramophone records etc. Something more geared towards younger people basically. Maybe an ice cream parlour with a small petting farm outside, things like that.

Hi
I am wondering about setting up a writing group or if this would be too much of a challenge how best do you think a reading group would work? Being read to or reading and discussing? Or some other arrangement?
Thanks

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
Can I suggest you check out our your local Walking For Health groups? If you google their website you can put your postcode and find out what's on near you. Some groups have special 'dementia friendly' walks, but I am a volunteer leader with an ordinary group and we have two regular walkers with dementia.

https://www.walkingforhealth.org.uk/

Susisuster

Mar 6, 2017
We have found it very difficult to find activities that are relevant for younger people my husband was diagnosed at 54 he is 57 now, sorry to say the group's run by the Alzheimer's society are the worst they just do the same things in the group's for younger people that they do for older people, they don't seem to understand the different needs, we have ended up doing things ourselves to keep active going swimming having walks etc we have found a local charity that runs a brilliant group for younger people with activities such as bowling and curling which everyone enjoys.