Support to live at home

Mem123

Sep 21, 2016
Hi, can anyone tell me how long is the average wait for on occupational therapist referral.
I look after a relative with mobility issues my main are of concern is in the bathroom. At the minute he is having to struggle into a bath to take a shower. The referral has been made a but we haven't heard anything in about 5 months. Very worried he will have a fall.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It shouldn't be more than a few weeks. Have you chased? Sometimes referrals get lost in the system.

Mem123

Sep 21, 2016
Hi yes I chased at least twice now. I've been told there is a waiting list. I am in Scotland. I really can't understand this it seems ridiculous.

MERENAME

Jun 4, 2013
scotland
We are also in Scotland. I'd try ringing again. You could also ask social work to hurry them up as it is to do with his personal care.

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi, can anyone tell me how long is the average wait for on occupational therapist referral.
I look after a relative with mobility issues my main are of concern is in the bathroom. At the minute he is having to struggle into a bath to take a shower. The referral has been made a but we haven't heard anything in about 5 months. Very worried he will have a fall.

Hi

I too had to chase a referral for my dad. Use of words such as falling risk dangerous high risk of falls always helps.
I emailed the S's every wobble or fall..and rang the ots and relayed the same.
We know there are lists but your priority is your relative and you're trying to keep them out of hospital..
(Just a few ideas..to direct at them).
Within a 21/2 Months after pushing and pushing ringing emailing..my parents had new wet room and my mum a new stair lift...
Have a care assessment yourself and stipulate that the stress this causes is making you unwell..

Best wishes

Mem123

Sep 21, 2016
Thanks so much for all your replies. In face to face discussions with the sw they told me it won't be done anytime soon. I duds cussed my concerns about risk etc and their response was that he could always shower at the day centre. I was gob smacked.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
We are also in Scotland. I'd try ringing again. You could also ask social work to hurry them up as it is to do with his personal care.

Don't ring them e-mail then, get in in writing, dated so there's a paper trail showing they're not doing their job in an acceptable way. (how often have I said that now?).
I've read on here about how the system in Scotland is different and it seem your system is better than in England with a dedicated social worker (of some sort).
Meantime you could try the link below as it's specifically Scottish.
K
http://www.alzscot.org/

Mem123

Sep 21, 2016
Thanks so much for all your replies. In face to face discussions with the sw they told me it won't be done anytime soon. I duds cussed my concerns about risk etc and their response was that he could always shower at the day centre. I was gob smacked.

WORRIER123

Oct 1, 2015
Seems strange my dads was the same week. It probably depends on the area again a lottery postcode
Good luck

Mem123

Sep 21, 2016
Update we found out that a Ot will be allocated next week. We are on holiday so I am waiting to hear how that will affect things but finally progress after 4 months.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan