Riser Recliner Chairs

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
My husband is sleeping in his chair quite a lot now. The CPN suggested a riser recliner to make him more comfortable. I took him into a furnature store yesterday and he ended up shouting and I had to make a quick exit. The CPN thinks that I need to encourage him to take a snooze a couple of times a day to help with the agitation. The next step is going to be incontinence, he has had a few accidents the past month. Do I go for a leather or fabric chair? Should I buy an expensive chair rather than a cheaper model given that continence is going to be an issue? Any help would be welcome.Carol x

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Leather every time. Wipeable.

If you can run to it, get an electric one, rather than a manual- even if you have to operate it. In the long run you'll prob have to anyway.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Have you had an OT assessment? They can advise re chair and maybe even provide one.

For incontinence, get referred to the Continence Service, they can offer advice and inco pads.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
I get pads through the continence service Beate. The OT said not to get one as a hoist can't be used with the riser recliners but I can see the benefits of him sleeping more comfortably with the chair and I can worry about the hoists later.

It's a dual motor one that I want so I can lean the back part separately from the leg part as he can get up quite easily some days. I'll only use raise his legs if someone is sitting in the room with him.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi Nanlorac
dad has a recliner chair, though I don't think he sleeps in it - it has wooden ends to the arm rests so that he can feel the ends as he tends to rub his hands round them (soothing) and they help him when sitting and standing- it is fabric covered (I thought leather might be slippy) but I do put down a plastic sheet to cover the seat, go down the front and up the arms a little, then I put over an incontinence sheet (dad does have the occasional accident/leak)
eg http://www.ageukincontinence.co.uk/incontinence-shop/incontinence-bed-and-chair-protection/chair-pads/anti-slip-chair-pad-45x65cm-2500ml.html
can't find the chair he has but it's like this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Chester-Recliner-Armchair-castors/dp/B00M68D0EM/ref=sr_1_9?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1475580162&sr=1-9&keywords=dual+motor+recliner+chair
with the 3 part back of other chairs, which dad found more comfortable when he tried it
like this http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=dual+motor+recliner+chair&view=detailv2&&id=122DB052246BCD5EFF432C33880F03713B2BC8BE&selectedIndex=11&ccid=QviBX4BU&simid=608015075047901284&thid=OIP.M42f8815f80549ab7223d61d12e9d6ddco0&ajaxhist=0
I think I got one a bit too big for him so do check the size you want
new ones are very expensive and since it will get some wear/ accidents maybe a second hand one would be more economical
not sure why a recliner is not to be used with a hoist as when upright it's pretty much like any armchair, maybe the OT could explain to settle your mind

dad tries to get up from his when I put his feet up, so I agree, I don't leave him alone when he's reclining

Last edited:

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Thanks for the information on the chairs. I have just sent for pads like the Age uk ones for the car seat just incase of accidents when we are out. The OT said the hoist won't slip under one of the riser recliner chairs.

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
We use a hoist, but it is not a problem with my husband's chair (not a riser-recliner but a tilt-in-space wheeled chair) because the two legs of the hoist open out so avoiding the chair altogether.
I have heard that a stand-aid can be difficult to use with certain chairs, maybe this is what the OT meant, rather than a hoist?

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
I got a recliner chair via OT. The man who delivered it said it was a cheap model! I'm thinking that might be worth getting re soiling, and to see how it goes. Then if you decide to buy one they'll take it back for you.

I have a table from OT like the hospital ones but even with the castors removed it wont slide under the chair - the mechanism. Also the back reclines - slightly - rather than a choice of recline or straight.

There was a thread not so long ago and someone had bought a recliner which hoists could go under. She said it was expensive.

Good luck

Loo

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
Thanks Loo
The OT doesn't want my husband to have a recliner so that's why I'm buying one. He is snoozing in the conservatory and it is helping with the agitation at the moment but the weather is changing and I'm looking for something more comfortable for him to use in the house.

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
We were supplied an electric recliner after our GP's referral to DN, through the council. This is actually the 3rd one. Any slight problems and they replace it straight away. For that reason, I would not consider buying one.

The chair is material, my husband is double incontinent, so I cover it with a Kylie bed sheet during the day lengthways, and secure it at the top of the chair, with Masking tape. At night I place another one across the chair. I have never had a wet chair, so far.

He has now been sleeping on the chair for the past 3 years, he said it was more comfortable than the bed. He always appears to be comfortable and sleeps well. To change him etc. I put the harness around him, attach to the hoist, and raise him up.

Have a word with your GP, they will advise you. Mine was very good, and understanding to our needs. Hope you get things sorted quickly. M xxx :)

Last edited:

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
We bought electric recliners not leather for fil and my dad , dad never used it , mum does. We bought off eBay , relative bought one and he had another two .

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
I've recently purchased a riser recliner for my husband as he was starting to show occasional signs of struggling to get out of his usual armchair. I just wanted to make sure that something was in place to help me get him out of his chair if necessary.

He doesn't tend to nap during the daytime yet, unless he is ill, but again I thought it worth going for the recliner option so that it isn't a problem in future should he start to struggle getting up to bed.

They aren't cheap ( :eek: )but we put his PIP money aside to save up for it - I'm also justifying the cost by telling myself it might be something I can use for myself in future, as they are easy enough to get re-covered.

I steered away from leather for several reasons - the ones I saw were nearly all in black or brown which are colours my husband struggles to 'see', so not ideal trying to get him to sit on something he thinks might be a black hole! I think they probably do beige/cream ones too but I remember a cream leather sofa my brother used to have and it looked quite grubby and worn fairly early on. His wife also used to complain that she found it hot and sticky, particularly in warm weather.

Also I don't know what effect urine would have on leather or the effect of cleaning products to try and remove the smell of urine from leather (my husband isn't incontinent but I know it is a possibility in future).

As such I went for a fabric covered one with anti-stain treatment. Should my husband become incontinent I will use Kylie sheets or similar protection. I feel confident that there are enough suitable cleaning products available to remove urine and smells from fabric should there be any accidents.

:)

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi LynneMcV
dad has a fabric chair, which had the coating applied - he also has many 'accidents' now and I brought in the regime of a waterproof then a chair cover/kylie sheet pretty soon after the first few (one was a torrent and soaked well in, down the front of the hair too) ... I really would recommend that you put a cover on the seat before any accidents start, honestly - I got some in maroon so that the chair stands out for dad (agree a dark chair isn't a good idea) and I call them cushions so that he doesn't mind when I have to readjust them

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
Hi LynneMcV
dad has a fabric chair, which had the coating applied - he also has many 'accidents' now and I brought in the regime of a waterproof then a chair cover/kylie sheet pretty soon after the first few (one was a torrent and soaked well in, down the front of the hair too) ... I really would recommend that you put a cover on the seat before any accidents start, honestly - I got some in maroon so that the chair stands out for dad (agree a dark chair isn't a good idea) and I call them cushions so that he doesn't mind when I have to readjust them

Thanks Shedrech, yes, that's sound advice. It would be wiser to have something in place rather than wait until something happens. I had a look online this afternoon I found some suitable, colourful seat protectors which I think my husband would accept as cushions. I bought one to pop on the car seat too - again he'll just think it is a cushion. Hopefully he will be comfortable with them but if not, I'll reintroduce them again further down the line :)

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
I bought a fabric chair with a dual motor. It arrived this morning and hubby had a good sleep in it this afternoon The seat pads arrived after lunch and are a great size for the chair. Thanks for all the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarbH