Suddenly not able to stand, would a standaid help?

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
My OH has been quite stable for a lot of this year, he is somewhere in the middle stages of AZ, doubly incontinent and on puréed food as he has poor swallowing. He has a chest infection again and is on antibiotics which are having some impact but now he cannot support his own weight. Last week he could use his walking aid to walk out of our flat and the few yards to our car, and back. Now he can only stand for a few seconds making all personal care, changing clothes, transferring between bed and chairs or commode all but impossible. Our GP is non committal about whether he will be able to weight bear again, saying wait and see once the infection clears, and that he has nothing wrong neurologically, he is just ' off his feet' to quote him. Not much practical help!
I really want to go on looking after my OH at home. And he still has periods of real clarity when he understands and can briefly discuss things. Tonight he is very upset as we have had an evening carer for the last 2 nights, I cannot manage the lifting and supporting he currently needs by myself. He is upset because he can see me struggling to cope, but also he hates having this extra care and handling. But actually I could do with the help at every change especially as the antibiotics are making his bowels loose.
I am wondering whether to get an electric stand aid to help with lifting him. Has anyone else experience of using one of these?

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
I am sorry that you are having these difficulties, Thebes. It is possible that when he has fully recovered from the infection (which could be causing the weakness) your husband may be weight-bearing again.
But if he doesn't regain the strength, I would suggest you have an assessment by an Occupational Therapist, to determine how best to care for him at home. Stand aids require a certain level of input from the person, and an OT could assess for the suitability.
My husband is non weight-bearing and needs to be hoisted from bed to chair or wheelchair, also onto a commode. This requires two people to do it safely, so I have a single carer to help me, three times a day. He cannot give any assistance, so a Stand aid is unsuitable for him.
There are also ceiling hoists available if your home is suitable for one.
I do hope that your husband regains his ability to weight-bear, but there are options available to help you to continue caring at home.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Hi Thebes. I don't know if this will help, but there are other hoists which may be more suitable. A standaid hoist requires a fair amount of co operation, which is not always possible. I think b4 you buy anything (!) I would get an o/t or physio in to advise what's best. Dad has 'gone off his feet' since June.. No reason, just progression of his illness. He also has swallowing difficulties, which have worsened. Maybe you need another full assessment of needs, to give you every chance of managing at home? Love from G❤️️X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
My mum has been using an electric stand aid with a belt since july. Ive found it life changing. My mum lost her mobility after 13 wks in hospital.
She tried the mannual stand aid but was easily distracted and therfore unsafe.
With the electic version she is strapped in. It is v easy to use even if mum is protesting .
I could send you a photo if it would help.
It makes going to the toilet and being cleaned afterwards so much easier . I think its next stage before using a hoist .
Honestly ive gained up to 3 hours per day negotiation, mood change and physical ability time with my wonderful stand aid . Id love to meet the oerson who invented it and thank them from the bottom of my heart.
If you manage to get an ot assessment , hope it works for your husband like it does for my mum.

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Forgot to mention i can use it easily by myself to transfer mum. Ot said to use with my daughetr at first but then ok with one .

thebes

Feb 10, 2014
London
Thanks for your helpful replies. I waited 6 weeks for an OT assessment earlier in the year, but agree it would be very helpful to get another. Although he is a little more able to give it a try today after a visit from our lovely physio, it seems that this is the next challenge arriving so I must plan ahead. Ellaroo, a photo and some more details would be very helpful, PM me if you like

Florence.

Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for your helpful replies. I waited 6 weeks for an OT assessment earlier in the year, but agree it would be very helpful to get another. Although he is a little more able to give it a try today after a visit from our lovely physio, it seems that this is the next challenge arriving so I must plan ahead. Ellaroo, a photo and some more details would be very helpful, PM me if you like

Hi Thebes. It's unsettling when these things happen as we don't know whether the change is permanent or due to infection. My husbands mobility has deteriorated and it was becoming dangerous for me to change him. I had both social services and OT in yesterday and the carers now transfer from his wheelchair to bathroom using a wheeled commode and I'm having an extra call at midday so the carers change him now. I think it depends how your husbands cooperation and mobility is whether any form of lifting device works but the OT will advise. We are also having the bed replaced as my husband can't now get himself up to a raised position, even with grab rails. He has been level for about two years but his vascular dementia has moved on, it appears permanently, to the next level, so I've had to get the professionals in to advise and adjust again. Good luck and I hope your husbands chest infection clears up soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
orange77