What a nice person!

twinklestar

Sep 14, 2014
In this day and age I am always surprised by the love I receive.

On Saturday I went for my annual eye test and was seen by a lovely lady. There are bits of the test I don't like and I was not looking forward to it as I had a bit of a head cold and was not feeling myself. This lovely lady got me through it. As we chatted she asked if I had been on holiday yet and I said no. I explained about being a carer and loosing my mum. This lady explained that she had lost both parents within six weeks. We chatted, compared notes and thoughts. It was wonderful. Even if she had not told me all about her experiences I would have said what a lovely lady. It just goes to show you out of what I thought was going to be a long and difficult examination was made simple and transforming by the lovely lady I saw.

twinklestar

Sep 14, 2014
Time to pass it on

There comes a point where you start to feel you are moving forward. I have the odd wobble but generally I am moving forward.

You don't get to this point without some knowledge and above all empathy so now when I am talking to work colleagues or friends who now find themselves in the position I was, it is now time to pass on that knowledge and provide them with the support they gave me. I feels good to help someone and I know my mum would do exactly the same thing!

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
It's good to read that you are moving forward Twinklestar.

And I agree that there are people who can make a difference by their kindness and empathy, and just giving their time to chat in a busy world.

sunray

Sep 21, 2008
East Coast of Australia
We all learned a lot as carers for parents or spouses with Alzheimers or some other form of dementia and I agree after we lose them we can still use our experiences to help others. Good for you Twinklestar, you have the right attitude.

twinklestar

Sep 14, 2014
There comes a point where you start to feel you are moving forward. I have the odd wobble but generally I am moving forward.

You don't get to this point without some knowledge and above all empathy so now when I am talking to work colleagues or friends who now find themselves in the position I was, it is now time to pass on that knowledge and provide them with the support they gave me. I feels good to help someone and I know my mum would do exactly the same thing!

I think that it is part of moving on to pass on the help, support, empathy and yes the love I received whilst we were looked after our lovely mum. I have two colleagues who are at the start of their journey with poorly parents and I so feel the need to be there with them. Sometimes you don't actually have to do anything, you just have to be there for them. They need to know that you understand. You cannot take away their worry and eventually their pain but you can offer your support and someone to talk to and even just to listen to them. I think it is important to be part of this caring and support chain. Long may it continue.:)

Babymare01

Apr 22, 2015
I have a couple of friends starting the journey and I have made it clear I have a shoulder to cry on whenever needed. I try not to intrude but sit on outskirts and both know they can come and rant/cry/laugh or ask a question. I make a point of sending a message from time to time saying "hows you xx"

I have also told them about this wonderful forum full of wonderful people who are there not just with advice but also support and understanding. This forum has been my lifeline - sometimes just reading posts sometimes posting a post or a reply. You are all wonderful people xxx