Deep Sleep

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
I went to see Mom this morning. She was in such a deep sleep I could not wake her up. She slept the whole time I was there. i Just sat with her and held her hand. So sad and so very cruel.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I went to see Mom this morning. She was in such a deep sleep I could not wake her up. She slept the whole time I was there. i Just sat with her and held her hand. So sad and so very cruel.

Sending you a huge virtual hug.

Aisling xx

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
I sympathise Wendy, it's just awful. The only saving grace was that your mother was peaceful and thankfully sounds like she wasn't in any pain. But I know this won't make you feel better, but I do feel your pain. You're not alone x

Otto 22

Sep 24, 2016

It is so cruel. I sympathise. My Dad is at late stages of Alzheimer's and was sometimes like this when on Risperidone. I talked to the consultant (while he was in hospital) and we discussed that it might be too high a dose. Eventually they decreased the dose and took him off it, altogether. Now my Dad is more alert and is opening his eyes again. His challenging behaviours have not recurred and he is now in a new carehome. Perhaps discuss medication? Kxx

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
It is so cruel. I sympathise. My Dad is at late stages of Alzheimer's and was sometimes like this when on Risperidone. I talked to the consultant (while he was in hospital) and we discussed that it might be too high a dose. Eventually they decreased the dose and took him off it, altogether. Now my Dad is more alert and is opening his eyes again. His challenging behaviours have not recurred and he is now in a new carehome. Perhaps discuss medication? Kxx

Hi Mom is not on any medication now. They took her off it about 12 months ago. The report is she has been sleeping most of the weekend. Just wish it would all end for her. Thinking of you.

Wendy C

Jan 29, 2012
West Midlands
Thank you all, as I said a cruel and sad situation. And I know I'm not alone. Everyone keep chins up and try to be happy. Sending love to all.

Jenn

Feb 24, 2009
Leeds
My Mum is the same, every time I visit she is asleep. I've taken to ringing ahead so they can arrange to sit her up or put her in her wheelchair in the hope of waking her a little. I don't think she is on too high a dose of any medication - maybe I should check more. However even when she is awake she stares and doesn't speak or react, I've had no response from her in such a long time. Sometimes when she wakes up she cries as if overcome with emotion, it's very distressing but an indication there is something still there but she hasn't done that in awhile.
I know it's horrible. You've just got to keep going. I'm lucky the care home is so kind.