Mental health assessment

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Could anyone tell me when one of these would be triggered, although dad is in hospital, SS are involved re capacity assessment etc .
I'm concerned re dads returned aggression , currently every night on the ward wanting to go wherever he is wanting to go, banging on doors which I'm sure will be alarming other patients (not dementia) .
I actually think he needs his meds checked again and him stabilising but everything seems to out of everyone's hands into SS and them with their usual if he wants to go home he can approach.

SisterAct

Jul 5, 2011
Liverpool, Merseyside
Re His assessment....I would ask to see his doctor at the hospital as they should be able to advise you.
His aggression could be due to the fact that he is in hospital and not in familiar surroundings. His dementia makes his hospital stay a scary one (for him). Who knows what is going through his mind when he is acting like this.

When Dad was in hospital we had all kinds of scenarios, some funny that others joined in with but others violent because he had 'seen' small children being beheaded and he couldn't help them. Once he was in charge of an 'escape committee' and plotted his escape with another patient.

This illness throws up so many different reasons for their behaviour that it is hard to distinguish what is the cause. Hospitals (and other authorities) lack understanding and unfortunately patients with dementia become a nuisance.

I understand how you feel about SS though as even though Dad had a diagnosis of dementia they still listened to him when it came to being discharged. He would say anything to get out.:rolleyes:

Thinking of you xx

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Hi sisteract
Tbh dad acts as he was at home with mum , he doesn't know where home is, thought I was mum last night ...or possibly even his mum.
He still talks of voices , there were people in the toilet bowl one day.
Is is on anti depressants, anti psychotics.

I've never actually seen a doctor in the hospital , I think there's only 15 beds.
I'm not sure who will be at the 'Best Interests' meeting next week.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Hi Kerry how long has he been in the Hospital now?

My dad took 3 weeks before he calmed down on the anti psychotics.....

Grab control on this, ask to speak to his doctor who is treating him, I wrote a letter in the end and kicked off quite a bit, and ended up having a meeting with the Dr as I wanted to know what he was on, what was happening etc

Ask to see his GP asap for a chat, the GP will advise what's happening with treatment for your dad, get yourself fully informed, as I went 4 weeks before I had a conversation with anyone!! I got frustrated in the end.......

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
PS they did not even consider moving my dad until they stabilised him, many treatments tried the first 3 weeks before he calmed down......

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
He has done a month in acute hospital, month where he is now.
The delay is SS and care home vacancies, they want him home , we say care home hence assessments and SS involvement.
Dad's meds have not changed, he has been on all meds quite a long time. He had a meds review in the acute hospital by his mental health team , here it's more of a loading bay waiting for next step where he is going. I'm hoping the best interests meeting next week will highlight at least something , in the meantime I will try and find out what doctor there thinks/is saying/doing. Mums going today , il get her to ask re doctor seeing dad.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
This is where my dads case got complicated, when they put him in a home, it had to be either nursing firstly which I fought against, then agreed my preferred home, which is a residential EMI home, so for this reason I had social workers, mental health team, and god knows what else!! I had so many people involved in the end, but they did agree in the end with me and apart from him getting pneumonia! he is doing well, still on the meds though covertly of course.

I hope it goes well for you and your mum next week, this part is very stressful for you both, and finding a care home to take your dad....... for me it was hard work!!

Best of luck to you x keep plugging away and stay strong!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet