self funding or not?

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Beate, how long do they let that situation roll on for? Doesn't his age at the time of the care need (58) get used as the decision maker? How do they ensure he doesn't just remain there in order to avoid care fees? The L.A. must have thought of everything and closed every loophole.
As long as he lives there after his 60th birthday then the house is disregarded as long as he remains to live there. For those two years before the capital is included. I am sure I have pointed this out to you before.:rolleyes:

There is no loophole. It was a conscious decision to keep the age at 60 and not n line with retirement age.

care2share

Jun 14, 2015
London
As long as he lives there after his 60th birthday then the house is disregarded as long as he remains to live there. For those two years before the capital is included. I am sure I have pointed this out to you before.:rolleyes:

There is no loophole. It was a conscious decision to keep the age at 60 and not n line with retirement age.

You may have done Pete. Things may not be looking so bad after all then. As long as the brother is happy to remain. If not, he's a little trapped. He may also be at a loss if he jumped off the property ladder four years ago.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"He may also be at a loss if he jumped off the property ladder four years ago."

He did not 'jump of the property ladder' in the normally accepted sense, so no potential capital loss, but he may have forfeited a right to social housing.

Start of thread.
My Sibling gave up his council home to move in and care for mum on the death of our dad four years ago,

little shettie

Nov 10, 2009
Ok, I've just posted about this on the other forum as its been such a grey area for us since we moved in with mum and I have now just had clarification on the subject of discretionary disregard. Mum recently had a financial assessment to see how much she would have to pay for respite as she broke her hip and was in care for four months. Shes back home now with us and while the finance officer was here, we were just chatting and she asked me if I'd ever consider permanent care. I told her that before mums hip fracture I would never have considered it, I've cared for mum for 7 years, lived with her for 2 1/2 with my husband. But she was so well cared for in the home and actually very happy that the only thing stopping me was the fact we'd lose our home if she was placed permanently. She looked at me quizzically and said why will you? Then she explained that we would get a discretionary disregard, not only because we live and care for mum and have done so for some time, but I also claim carers allowance which also carries some weight. We do not fit the criteria for a DD as we're both in our 50's, not disabled etc but she told me it does not matter, we would get a DD! And she should know as she deals with this regularly. I admit I was taken aback by this news as I always thought there was no hope. She made notes on the system regarding this and told me if I wanted to get the ball rolling, contact my SW and go from there.

Pickles53

Feb 25, 2014
Radcliffe on Trent
That's excellent news, but being a cynic I would ask her for written confirmation of what she said or a copy of what has been noted on the file. You could email her to confirm your understanding of the key points. Then if she changes job or the LA changes policy, you have something in black and white.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Discretionary disregard

Hi little shelter. Have replied on your other thread.
Toddleo

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Ok, I've just posted about this on the other forum as its been such a grey area for us since we moved in with mum and I have now just had clarification on the subject of discretionary disregard...........
she told me it does not matter, we would get a DD! And she should know as she deals with this regularly.
This is exactly what the Finance Officer said to me over 2 years ago and my battle still continues.

I gave up my home and life abroad and lived with Mom for 11 years looking after her with the last 4 years fairly full on. The chief legal officer at the LA claimed it was a lifestyle choice I had made and should have bought my own house nearby. According to FOI requests my LA have never granted a DD.

I do hope you are more successful.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandrah1952