Losing a home when someone goes into care

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I have a friend who is 58 and lives with Mum who has just gone into a nursing home. He is worried because SS will want to use the house to pay the fees and he will lose his home. I know there was something on here before about this kind of situation but I can't find it , can anyone help please?

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
was it my post?

I have a friend who is 58 and lives with Mum who has just gone into a nursing home. He is worried because SS will want to use the house to pay the fees and he will lose his home. I know there was something on here before about this kind of situation but I can't find it , can anyone help please?

I have recently posted about the same situation, will try and post a link to it..

http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?95476-self-funding-or-not

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Do you man he lived with your Mum in her house as well as having his own, and ha now gone into a nursing home?

if that is the case, then he will ( assuming that the house has value) have to pay his own nursing home fees. How soon it will need to be sold to meet those fees depends upon his other assets.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I have a friend who is 58 and lives with Mum

I'm (as usually you might say) a bit unclear, I take it the friend in question lives with their mum and it's not your mum they live? Partners are a mandatory disregard irrespective of age.
K

little shettie

Nov 10, 2009
Interested to read this post. Hubby and I live with mum, the house is in her name and we have been living here nearly 3 years and have made it our home. I too was under the impression that if mum ever went into care, then the house would taken into consideration as the law changed a while ago regarding discretionary disregard. Everyone I spoke to, even social workers couldn't clarify what might happen. Then Mum had a financial assessment last week as she'd been in respite since breaking her hip, and while the lady was here going through the paperwork, she asked me if I'd consider permanent care for mum. I told her I wasn't sure as we'd sacrificed so much to be with mum and also we'd lose our home if she went in. The lady looked at me and said, no you wont. She told me that there would be a discretionary disregard as we not only live with mum but I've cared for her for over 7 years and also claim carers allowance. We don't fit the criteria of being over 60, disabled etc but she said that did not matter. And she's the finance officer who deals with this and was adamant that was the case. I felt so relieved at this news as it has been a big worry to us. I love my mum and want the best for her but she has deteriorated so much now and I am struggling to cope.

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
Discretionary disregard

Good morning little sheltie. I think (and let's be clear, I don't know for sure) that there is a chance that you would be considered for a discretionary disregard of the property. Please see my previous post on the link above. There is some handy stuff on there which may apply to you too.

The point is that by law I think you and my brother may be given a disregard, but it s certainly not a given thing and I don't think that you should assume it will go that way.

It's a complicated area and we both need advice.

Good luck . Toddleo

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
I'm (as usually you might say) a bit unclear, I take it the friend in question lives with their mum and it's not your mum they live? Partners are a mandatory disregard irrespective of age.
K

Kevin - yes the chap aged 58 lives with Mum and has remained in the family home all his life - he is her son

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Is he vulnerable in some way - would he qualify as "A relative under 60 who receives certain disability allowances"? Does he have a job or income of his own?

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Well, assuming that he can't persuade the LA that the house should be disregarded or that they should offer deferred payment, the house doesn't have to be sold if the care home fees can be paid without it. If his mum's pension is taken into account, how much extra will need to be paid in care home fees? How would that compare to the rent that he would have to pay if he moved out - could he pay it out of his income?