Help or advice needed.

Penny8

Sep 14, 2016
My husband is 59 and he is in middle to late stages of Alzheimer's/vascular dementia. Over the past few weeks he is constantly walking up and down the corridor of the care home. He will not sit down to eat, the staff have tried everything to get him to eat but he is having none of it. He is now 51kg, & having build up drinks. I'm just worried that by not eating he is just going to lose more weight and decline even further. Does anyone have any suggestions please.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Penny, welcome to TP
I always think of them as the "wanders club" constantly walking the corridors virtually the entire day and night for some of them.
My wife's a junior member of the club at the moment, she's wandering about half the time when I visit. She's still at the stage she will sit down with me for a while at present. Some of the hard core members of the club are a nightmare to feed, sometimes they can be sat down for a short time but may get fed on the move.
Likewise there are a number who refuse food and all the staff can do is persist.
In the 2 places my wife's been in I've never seen a member of staff do something other than the above suggestions.
Although my wife is a wanderer she still eats well, albeit with her hands.
K

Penny8

Sep 14, 2016
Hi Kevin

Thanks for the response, I like the term The Wanderers Club. My hubby won't sit down at all, I don't know how he isn't exhausted. What a terrible disease it is. It's so hard coming to terms with it.

Mossyanne1

Feb 10, 2015
Hi my hubby is definitely a member of the wanderers club. I visited him yesterday and he was having a snooze, as this is unusual I asked the carers if he was ok. Apparently he had been wandering all morning and had worn himself out. They have an awful time trying to feed him as he won't sit down for food and if he eats it will be on the hoof. He has lost so much weight and doesn't know his family at all, sometimes there is a spark but unusually its head down, hands in pockets and off he goes. Bless him, yesterday it was a bad day and both my daughter and I went home with the usual tears. So pleased to read your messages it really comforts me...xxx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point