Travelling alone with dementia

cesharpe

Sep 20, 2016
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice regarding my aunt who was diagnosed with frontotemporal dementia just over a year ago. My aunt lives alone in St. Andrews and my mother and myself live in Edinburgh. She can manage by herself at the moment. She can shop for herself, dress, wash etc. The main symptom of her dementia is communication loss. She cannot understand complex concepts, my mother is managing her finances (my mother, myself and a friend of my aunt have been granted power of attorney) and to be honest, most of the time we can't understand what she is trying to say.
My brother lives in London with his wife and daughter and wants her to travel by train to visit which would give her so much joy. However, I'm worried about her travelling alone. She would be taken to the station by her friend and picked up at the other end. My concern is all the what ifs. If the train is delayed or she has to change trains or even the fact that she is more vulnerable and may be targeted by people wanting to take advantage or her handbag getting stolen. I have no doubt that she would have great difficulty coping with any of these scenarios.
I don't want to stop her from doing something that gives her pleasure but am concerned for her safety.
Neither my mum nor myself can travel with her and it would be doubtful that my brother's family could also do this. To be honest- I'm annoyed that he didn't consult anyone before going ahead with this planned trip!

Does anyone have any advice?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My advice would be to contact him and give him the plain facts. Warn him that she is a vulnerable adult and that realistically she is not up to the trip.

Mumsmum

Oct 29, 2012
Scotland
Assisted travel on trains

Hi, train operators now offer assisted travel, booked when you book the ticket. My mum has vascular dementia and we've used it when she visits from Edinburgh to Wigan for the past 4 years. I drop mum off at the station and they see her into the train, check on her throughout the journey, and tell her when to get off and assist her. Mum is mobile but had very short term memory. So I also give her a note in a folder saying "someone will help you get off at Wigan". I also tell them she has memory problems do not to assume she understands. It has been great, and mum is used to it now. Last time there were delays at Carlisle but they saw her safely into and off a bus and back on the train. It's free and so simple to arrange. Mum can't use a mobile so we just put emergency numbers in her bag and with her tickets. It's allowed her to remain and feel independent.

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
Hi

I have used the assisted travel service to get from home in Dunstable to Heathrow to meet my wife from a flight and again on the bus to get from Watford to home when my wife had an operation in Watford recently. It's brilliant. I have vascular dementia and it really works for me

John

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
If she has limited communication then it would be great to see if she can cope with some communication cards so that she is not compromised during her journey for example if she cannot find the toilet or is worried about finding it. www.widget-health.com have some free downloads for people who hare in hospital and I'm sure you will find others in a search - basic stuff like - please direct me to the toilet/I would like some food now/I would like a cup of tea/ please help me to phone xxxx I want them to know I am OK/ How long will the journey take from here? and anything else you can think of but not too much - enough to go on a couple of laminated sheets. The assisted travel sounds great

danonwheels

Apr 13, 2016
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
I regularly travel by myself on trains nowadays. I book assistance just after I book my tickets and keep prints of everything.

It isn't always easy but the majority of people I've come across (both railway staff and public) have been helpful so far.

cesharpe

Sep 20, 2016
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your recommendations. A while ago my mum called Virgin trains assisted travel who was told in no uncertain circumstances do they cater for people like my aunt. I'll give them a ring again and see what I can find out.
I'll have a look for those cards too- they could be extremely useful.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I want her to be able to visit family but I also want her to be safe.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Would she fly down? Quicker, less chance of getting off at wrong stop- just collect her from the airport?

A coach might take longer but again, might be better, Is the a straight through coach?