Self funding care advice

Kaatt

Sep 5, 2016
Hi I have just become a member of TP. I have read lots of threads and found the information and support very helpful so far, so was wondering if any advice could be given.
My dad has mixed Alzheimers/dementia and has been in hospital for the past 5months. He is now completely bed bound and needs everything doing for him. He has a high risk of aspiration and has had more antibiotics in the past 5 months, than he has in the rest of his 86 years. we are now at the stage of deciding if he goes into a nursing home or is cared for at home. He went into hospital mobile, so there will have to be a lot of adaptions at home. He will get some funding (not much) but will have to self fund the rest. can anyone offer any advice on this? My Mum seems to think that once he uses his savings to the threshold, he may then get funding, which acts as a loan, and then when he dies she will have to sell the house to pay for his care. Is she right?
This is all new to us, so not sure where to start.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Kaatt, welcome to TP
As you're a first time poster I'll paint the very big picture with a broad brush, there's loads of details all in one go.
Firstly the house, if he owns it with your mum as either joint tenants or tenants in common they it is totally disregarded as an asset and no charges (called a deferred payment) can be made against it, effectively it doesn't exist as long as your mum (or certain other qualifying people) live in it.
To work out what help he'd get take all the money solely in his name and half of any accounts he holds jointly with your mum (or anyone else) that is his money.
If that's under £13k then the LA will fund the care, he'll loose all his state pension (except for £23 pw), half of any occupational pensions and most benefits.
Between £13k and £23k the LA will assist with funding over £23k and he's self funding.
As I say that's a big brush but if your dad's assets (not the house but bank accounts, shares, premium bonds or whatever) are half a million quid then you're on your own, but if they're £25k then a couple of weeks in care will start to put him in the area where the LA should be involved.
Even if he's self funding the NHS should be contributing to the nursing element of his care as far as understand it, my wife's care home get's £125pw from the NHS to fund the nursing element of her care.
Social Services will, if you let them ignore the situation. If you google "vulnerable adult assessment" and the name of the LA involved you should be able to request an assessment on line, once requested they have to do it by law. Avoid using the phone when dealing with the LA or SS as it doesn't leave a paper trail and they seem to respond better as they'll tell you things on the phone they're not prepared to put in writing for some reason:) His wealth is irrelevant to him getting an assessment.
That, as I say is the very big picture so you can see roughly where you stand.
I would ask, even with the adaptions is the situation going to be manageable?
Taking care of someone 24/7 is a lot harder than you think, it was tough enough with my wife and she was mobile and 3 stone lighter than me which helps when you do need to do something physical like changing a pad.
K

Kaatt

Sep 5, 2016
Thank you for your reply. My Dad had an assessment done about 8 weeks ago, when discharge from hospital was first mentioned. we have heard nothing until this past week. the information you have given is most helpful, thank you.
The situation, if cared for at home would be quite difficult but possibly manageable. My mum is 76 and still a registered nurse but it would take its toll, even with my help and carers. It is so hard because 5 months ago, we would never have imagined being in this position. He was drinking with his friends at the local golf club!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
It is so hard because 5 months ago, we would never have imagined being in this position. He was drinking with his friends at the local golf club!

Five months, my wife went from the frozen food section in the supermarket to a but detained under section 3 of the mental health act in less than 12 hours and a secure assessment unit a few days later. It's on the link below, with AZ "expect the unexpected" is the motto.
K
http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?89276-Kevinl-that-was-a-week-to-remember

Kaatt

Sep 5, 2016
It sure is unpredictable. What an awful situation for you and your wife. I hope everything feels a little more settled. My dad's stay in hospital, resulted from a fall down the stairs, leading to fractures, bleed on the brain, delirium etc. his first week in hospital he was moving about, 2 weeks later, due to lack of physio and constantly being told to get back into bed, he became pretty much bed bound. His Alzheimer's / dementia has rapidly progressed from there. It is such a very cruel disease.

Lets_Stop_Time

Aug 23, 2015
Mother in law is in a care home we have a loan with the council, they pay her fees using the value of her house. Once we reach value they take the house or she passes we sell and pay them back.