Is it late stages and what can be done?

sarah.g

Sep 5, 2016
Hi my nan is the 1 with dementia I am very worried about her she is confused most of the time she can't remember were the toilet is or there bedroom she lives with my grandad and my dad goes to help sometimes my nan will dissappear from the house wonder round the street neighbours have took her back home she has slapped my grandad due to not remembering who he is also not remembering who my dad is as well at times. I'm just wondering if this is the worst it will get and what help can they get it live 2 hours away and don't drive so it's down to my dad and grandad she has been offered a day care centre to give my grandad a break but she refuses to go she thinks she is fine and nothing wrong with her. I'm just very worried for her safety but is there anything that can be done if she refuses help? Thanks in advance

Tattoo Lane

Jun 28, 2016
Devon UK
Oh sarah, you must be so worried! It may be an idea if your dad could talk with your nans GP and describe what's happening. That way the doctor can get other professionals involved, and no one needs to know that your dad contacted the surgery. If she is wandering round at night it could be dangerous not only for her, but for other people, so some help needs to be put in place. . I'm sure there are other people in here who could help more than I can, I just wanted you to know that people do read the posts, and will try to help as much as possible. Sending hugs xxxxx

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Hi Sarah.g my Mum no longer knows where the loo is or where she sleeps and half the time no longer recognises me although she thinks I'm one of her sisters,friend or sometimes even my Dad.
My Mum would never admit anything was wrong she would just say she was old and therefore it was natural to forget things. I told our GP who referred Mum to the memory clinic who then organised with me to come to the house to assess Mum I just told Mum it was just a check up from the doctors and at least then you would get things in place to make things safer for your Nan and you will be able to get questions answered.Everybody is different re stages of AZ but it sounds like your Nan could be similar to my Mum and I was told Mum was late stage.Mum still doesn't know she has AZ and telling her really would be a waste of time only causing stress when after a little while she will have forgotten what I had said anyway.
I do hope you can get some professional imput soon.xxxx

sarah.g

Sep 5, 2016
Thank you

Oh sarah, you must be so worried! It may be an idea if your dad could talk with your nans GP and describe what's happening. That way the doctor can get other professionals involved, and no one needs to know that your dad contacted the surgery. If she is wandering round at night it could be dangerous not only for her, but for other people, so some help needs to be put in place. . I'm sure there are other people in here who could help more than I can, I just wanted you to know that people do read the posts, and will try to help as much as possible. Sending hugs xxxxx

Thank you its nice to know I can talk to people that are going through same sort of thing. My nan is now currently in hospital she is very unsteady on her feet and had fallen over smashed all her face. she has to see phsyo tomorrow and occupational health people get grandad some help

sarah.g

Sep 5, 2016
Hi thanks

Hi Sarah.g my Mum no longer knows where the loo is or where she sleeps and half the time no longer recognises me although she thinks I'm one of her sisters,friend or sometimes even my Dad.
My Mum would never admit anything was wrong she would just say she was old and therefore it was natural to forget things. I told our GP who referred Mum to the memory clinic who then organised with me to come to the house to assess Mum I just told Mum it was just a check up from the doctors and at least then you would get things in place to make things safer for your Nan and you will be able to get questions answered.Everybody is different re stages of AZ but it sounds like your Nan could be similar to my Mum and I was told Mum was late stage.Mum still doesn't know she has AZ and telling her really would be a waste of time only causing stress when after a little while she will have forgotten what I had said anyway.
I do hope you can get some professional imput soon.xxxx
Hi ya thanks for that my nan had a fall and is hospital at moment she has to see phsyo tomorrow and occupational health people get grandad some help weather that's all that's all that is needed I don't know xx

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Hi my nan is the 1 with dementia I am very worried about her she is confused most of the time she can't remember were the toilet is or there bedroom she lives with my grandad and my dad goes to help sometimes my nan will dissappear from the house wonder round the street neighbours have took her back home she has slapped my grandad due to not remembering who he is also not remembering who my dad is as well at times. I'm just wondering if this is the worst it will get and what help can they get it live 2 hours away and don't drive so it's down to my dad and grandad she has been offered a day care centre to give my grandad a break but she refuses to go she thinks she is fine and nothing wrong with her. I'm just very worried for her safety but is there anything that can be done if she refuses help? Thanks in advance
My mother was at that stage about 4 and a half years ago. After several falls within a week with emergency services being called out and then falling into unconsciousness she was admitted to hospital. That experience disorientated her so much that although I pleaded to have her return Home, which SS agreed with. However when it became apparent she no longer recognised her own house or where the bathroom was or anything familiar was when I realised she would have to be looked after by others.

Unfortunately this is not the worst it can get and your grandad will start to need increasing help as she deteriorates, probably over several months or even years. So now might be the time to start thinking hw you can support your grandad as well as your gran.

Lets_Stop_Time

Aug 23, 2015
I don't want to sugar coat and I don't want to scare you but sadly this is only the beginning of a heartbreaking journey. But know that there are people here to talk to