A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I have been expecting to hear this for the last couple of days, since Helen stopped feeling sick and since her pain is under control.

I know it's what she wants, but....as Loo said....and a lot of buts....I wish I knew if it was the best thing all round. It's not for me to say, but it is putting a lot more back onto Martin and Mandy at a time when Martin is being torn two ways. I do hope that her Palliative Care Team can be sorted more quickly and thoroughly this time.

You are going home and that is the right thing for you....you can say goodbye, knowing that you have played your part in this tragedy, more fully than anyone could have wished. We'll be with you all the way home....I hope Paul can be there to meet you.

Love Maureen.x.x.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Sylvia. I'm so sorry to read of this news of Martin's bereavement. How tragic.

It must be hard for you contemplating going home now but I'm
Sure you know the time is right for you.

Sending love to you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Paul will be there Maureen. :)

I don't feel nervous about leaving Helen. There will be no emotional goodbyes . I don't feel I'm saying goodbye.

I might be fooling myself or it might be my belief in acceptance, nevertheless it's how it is.

bemused1

Mar 4, 2012
Paul will be there Maureen. :)

I don't feel nervous about leaving Helen. There will be no emotional goodbyes . I don't feel I'm saying goodbye.

I might be fooling myself or it might be my belief in acceptance, nevertheless it's how it is.

Sylvia thats such an encouraging post. Sometimes there are worse things than death. Im sorry if that offends anyone but its,a view based on experience.

I think instinct tells you when you have done all you can and to step back and leave it to others.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Sylvia thats such an encouraging post. Sometimes there are worse things than death. Im sorry if that offends anyone but its,a view based on experience.

I think instinct tells you when you have done all you can and to step back and leave it to others.

That's how I feel bemused xx

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Firstly hope you have a good journey home tomorrow. You will know if and when you need to return.

Poor Martin, I feel so sorry for him. Added to his emotional turmoil he now has to say whether or not he can care for Helen at home. I am sure he will want to - I remember only too well not wanting D to go into care and stay! But he will have to question whether or not she will remain in this alert and stable condition or is she likely to have another period similar to this last one. .

Having typed this as my thoughts flowed I realise what a terrible position he is in just now. I am sure Helen will want to help him through it so I can only hope and pray she stays well enough to do so. Also I hope the hospice will keep both of them on their books so that if Helendoes go home she can return again if and when needed.

Last edited:

Nanak

Mar 25, 2010
Brisbane Australia
Have a safe journey home Sylvia. It seems like the stage has been set for you to leave. I hope Helen continues feeling well enough to be home and that Martin and Mandy are able to cope. Poor Martin mustn't know if he is on his head or his heels.
Look after yourself. I am glad Paul will be there. I have been so grateful for your updates on Helen. Give Helen a gentle hug from me.

Kim xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen was still sitting in the recliner when we arrived but was out to the world. We stayed till now and she woke as we were leaving. We had a hug and she thanked me. Neither of us were emotional, isn't it strange.

Martin is already planning how he will get the support care he needs and how he will organise the dining room. Mandy is coming tomorrow night and Martin will visit his bereaved family on Saturday.

I've just become homesick. :)

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Sylvia nobody could wish for a better friend than you. I know Helen knows that.

Words seem useless just now. I wish you safe travel home.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Nobody can really know how they will react in any situation and this is certainly a strange time for you. I do think we have a basic protective instinct which takes over to allow us to cope at certain times which affect us emotionally. Many of us here have found this haven't we. How else have we managed to go on.

I wish you a safe journey home tomorrow, Sylvia. You have been a wonderful support for Helen and for her her family and you do need to have some time for yourself now.
Thank you for keeping us so close to Helen at this time.
I hope Martin will be ok. Life can be so very cruel. xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We`ve just watched a TV programme about giving up prescription drugs, both Martin and I on computer and iPad.

It occurred to me how normally we are behaving after such an eventful day and how much the human mind can adapt to.

I must thank everyone who has contributed to this thread during the last three weeks for your support. It helped so much to off load here every day and your feedback made it possible. xx

Last edited:

Pollyanna

Jul 8, 2008
Hello

Wishing you safe travels Sylvia.

Thank you for updating us. Although upsetting at times, your posts have been thought provoking and also inspiring, but most importantly kept us up to date with someone who is cared for a lot here. Many of us have watched, and been included, in your friendship over the years as you have faced what life has dealt you and we've seen the strength that has given you both.

I hope today brings some positivity for Helen and Martin and today brings Helen a closer step to the peace she wants. I do hope that she is able to go home.

X

Status
Not open for further replies.