A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen was dozing when we arrived and quiet. I'm not saying peaceful because she isn't really. The nausea seemed much better but still there.

Linda came to visit . Another stress for Helen but it has to be. Linda seemed quite shocked visiting Helen here and Helen pulled out all the stops to give Linda what she needed.

Linda's carer asked if a nurse could talk to Linda about Helen and I went to find out. There is family support here but not on tap and Linda decides to go when she needs to go. The family support worker would have been available if Linda had been able to stay longer so the nurse I'd spoken to stepped in. He said just what we have been saying so I hope it helped Linda in some way realise the inevitable.

A volunteer hairdresser offered to do Helens hair. Helen accepted gratefully. By the time Helen had been helped into the wheelchair and driven to the salon , the nausea returned with a vengeance and she had to be taken back to bed. The hairdresser did say she would try to do something to freshen Helens hair later and we'll see if she's up to it.

Meanwhile I had my hair done by the volunteer which was lovely because I've been too rushed or too tired. The hairdresser gives her services free and donations go directly to the hospice. I paid what I would have paid for a shampoo and blow dry so everyone was pleased.

Helens syringe drivers are now being checked by two nurses. Helen had s few spoons of lunch and pudding and hasn't felt nauseous since. She is watching the news.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
O dear. It all sounds rather stressful.
Poor Helen after all the effort and then not having her hair done. I'm so glad you did though Sylvia, as it does help to make one feel that little bit better.
I do hope that Helen's nausea improves. It must be horrible for her.
Difficult for Linda and for you all too of course. Just such a very sad time
Sending love. xxx

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I'm sorry to hear that Helen still has the nausea. Not the same thing at all, but after an operation I was retching and in the end they gave me an injection. It was only a small scratch. Would Helen be able to tolerate this or has it already been tried?

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Just popped in to see how you and Helen are Sylvia. You know I still remember your posts about India . So sad Helen is still nauseous . Hoping the doctors will be able to get on top of it . Lots of love to you all xxxx Heike xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Helen does sound more settled - calmer - but the ghastly retching will be so distressing and exhausting. Is it known what is causing it? The medication or her condition?

I also had dreadful retching after surgery. I felt good and had a bowl of soup at tea time but after only a few spoonfuls threw it up - and the only thing eaten for 24 hours so nothing else to come up. This went on until 3-4am. I had been given Metoclopramide tablets to no avail. Then a doctor was called, she gave me an injection of Metoclopramide which almost instantly stopped the retching.

But a totally different situation from Helen's.

Hopefully she can have her hair done soon, it does give a boost - hope it did for you Sylvia.

So very difficult for Linda to understand, and that must be upsetting for Helen.

Wishing for a fairly 'quiet' day and some respite for Helen concerning the retching.

Sending love and more
Loo xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen has been seen by a doctor daily and today when she told the doctor she just wanted to sleep she was heard and listened to.

She will be given injections to make her sleep and she can ask for one whenever she feels the need. It was emphasised it will not shorten her life but give her space from the nausea and anxiety. She asked if it will stop the nightmares. It's the first I've heard of nightmares. What has she been going through!
She was asked when did she think she would want one. She said " Now" . She was given one through another cannula.it was painful.

She is sleeping now and we have left her in peace.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I hope this gives Helen some much needed rest and peace. x

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh heavens. Let us hope for peace for Helen. Sylvia, you are doing a fantastic job and we are all behind you.
Plus, thank you for the updates. I know I'm not the only one who appreciates them.

for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.