Update on Lionel

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Connie,

I do hope Lionel can feel some of your love, even if he doesn`t realize it was a special day in the Calendar.

I have recently had a taste of a breakdown in communication and found it terrifying.

Lovexx

Last edited:

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What a lovely way to put your feeling into a letter to Lionel, wishing you all the best together today ( and every day ) if you go to see Lionel today. sending you both my love ((hugs )) xx

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Dear Connie,

A very moving letter..thankyou for letting us read it too.

I am certain Lionel feels your love..it shines out of you!

Love Gigi xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Connie

Thank you for sharing your letter to Lionel with us, it is so moving.

As you know, I'm in the same position with John, never knowing how much he understands of what I say to him. It's so hard not to be able to get through how much I love im -- although like you I tell him over and over again.

I'll copy your idea and write a letter -- it will help me, if not him.

Love and hugs,

Attachments

• Hugs 7.gif
    Hugs 7.gif
    19.2 KB · Views: 450

Mameeskye

Aug 9, 2007
NZ
Connie

Your letter to Lionel was very very moving. Your love for him shines through like a beacon. I well remmeber being so desperate to share things with Mum but getting a totally odd reaction from her such as "how awful" when I told her good news so that I was never sure if she understood.

I like to think that deep down there is a part of them that knows that we care and love them and share with them.

Love

Mameeskye

nicetotalk

Sep 22, 2006
stretford
Dear connie

I just wanted to send a post to say how wonderfull and inspiring you have been iam sure to us all throughout lionels illness. I remember the first post i ever sent and you were the first one to reply, i had already lost my mum befor i came on this site but the way you reply back to people on here and the way you bring comfort to all is so nice,even though you are going through tough times yourself. You take good care

kathy x

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Dear Kathy, and all of my friends who have posted here.

Thank you so much for the messages. Not a good visit today at all, so fingers crossed that today was just a glitch.

Who knows what tomorrow brings?, but thank you all.

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
My dear Lionel,

What a lovely weekend you have had. Blissful visit to you on Saturday, you were quite animated. I washed your hair and did your feet, and we listened to some really good tracks from some of your favorite albums.

You don’t remember, well never mind.

Sunday was a lovely day weatherwise. Old friends, Eileen and Mary visited with me, and the four of us sat around reminiscing about the day we all met back in 1995. The photograph album came out, along with the drinks over lunch. O.K. you only drank your Cranberry Juice, but you seemed to pick up on the atmosphere in your room.

The double doors were open, and we pushed your chair right to the doorway, and the sun shone for us all. My dear DIL popped her head in to say hello, she was visiting her mum in the other wing. So many people put their heads in your room……did they know we were trying to have a party.!

My darling man, you may never, ever know quite how much you are loved. And yet, we did all show you our love and esteem, in those giddy days up till the millennium. Do you remember the wonderful time we all celebrated Mary’s ‘all clear’ from her cancer, and we got very merry in’’ Champagne Charlies’ in London. Seem to recall you insisted in picking up the tab for the wine.!!! And the time when………….gosh I could go on and on.

Hope and pray that you are as calm inside as your demeanor presented yesterday. For the girls it was so good, as the last time they saw you, you were so agitated and twitchy. They do worry about you so.

My love Lionel, as always. See you tomorrow. xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a lovely letter Connie, I almost feel like an intruder, but know you want to share.
It`s so good to hear how Lionel`s agitation has reduced. I hope it stays that way.
Love xx

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Connie, yout post made me cry

I, we, can only send our love.
But, I feel the same about Ron.
Barb & Ron X

ROSEANN

Oct 1, 2006
staffordshire
Connie
I love your posts.
I am glad you had a good weekend.
I like the way you recall your past times.
As you know [and thank you for your good wishes] it was my 60th birthday this weekend and I had a great time only spoiled by my husband having a TIA half way through the day, which was not to bad but played havoc with his memory.
He can remember nothing of the weekend and is quite upset about it, but I have told him as long as I have the memories that is all that matters we`ll look at all the photo`s together.
So I hope your next visit to Lionel is as good.
Love to you both Roseann

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Dear Connie, another beautiful letter to Lionel.

I'm glad you had such a lovely weekend, I hope you have many more of them.

Love,

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Connie:
I feel very privileged to share your letter reminiscing over the weekend. I am pleased you had friends to share Sunday with you and Lionel.

Lovely though it is it makes my heart ache for you.

Love Jan

liny

Apr 17, 2008
Ormskirk Lancashire
Thinking Of You Connie

:)Hi Connie

I am a new memeber and my husband has just been diagnosed with Alzheimers he is only 58 my children and i are devastated,I know one day i will be in your position you are a very loving and brave lady and have given me strenght to carry on.

We feel we have already lost a loving and fantastic father but when i read your story mine is mild at the moment i just want to wish you all the luck in the world and i am thinking of you.

God Bless both of you
liny xx [QUOT

E=connie;69534]Thanks for all your messages of support.

Angela, you have mentioned the one aspect that concerns me most - the fear of Lionel being moved. I have the care home on my side, even though some of the newer staff will not see to Lionel (he is so hard to handle and abusive).

The consultant called to see him today, as the CPN is concerned about him staying where he is. So upsetting. I know there are other good places around, but Lionel so settled where he is really, and majority of staff so understanding, as they had just a little time to get to know Lionel the man, not the monster he appears to be now.

I could not find better carers to help Lionel and they are so supportive to me.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me, and him.[/QUOTE]

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Not swallowing very well.

Lionel was a bit poorly today.

He was sleeping when I arrived, and did not want to be roused.

Just before luch I woke him, and was surprised that he refused a drink. He would just not open his mouth.

Lunch arrived and it took me forever to feed him. He is having difficulty again with swallowing, although his meal was finely pureed. He wants to cough, and clear his throat, but cannot.
(He has not got a cough or anything though and his chest is clear).

Thin liquid is even worse. Lionel has long stopped drinking anything but cranberry juice, but this he normally drinks with relish. Not today, he coughed and spluttered and let it dribble down his chin.

I know he was fine on Monday, as I was with him all day and he ate and drank well. Apparently this started last evening.

He looks tired. I was with him from 10-30 until 4.oo and he must have been asleep for at least 4 hours.

He did not kick up much fuss when we hoisted him on the bed after lunch, and I noticed that he was wet just before I came away, and he let one carer and myself change him, and his bed, without a word.

I know it is only a blip, but I do hate to know that he is unwell.

However took some lovely pictures today............so I am pasting this one in his diary.

zzzzzzzz.JPG

Life isn't all bad. I stole lots and lots of kisses, and he is so calm and comfortable, bless him.