A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you Lizzie. I had a feeling Auld Lang Syne was you :) it's good of you to post.

I thought dementia was the worst but this suffering of Helens is just too cruel.

I hope you are well.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Ah Sylvia...

Dementia was tough on our husbands and on us in the earlier stages. Time has smoothed the sharp edges and and polished the memory a bit, thankfully, as I know I struggled to cope with the whole dementia thing for a long time after Eric was taken into care.

I agree Helen's suffering seems cruel. Sadly I think she is such a strong personality that she is the one calling the shots until she is mentally and physically no longer able to do so. As someone mentioned earlier, Helen is indeed 'raging against the dying of the light'.

I was very hesitant about posting after such a log absence from TP, but in some strange way it felt like the right thing to do :)

My thoughts and prayers remain with you and Helen and her family. I sincerely hope that Helen will now gain some peace.
With love

Lizzie

Last edited:

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Hi Lizzie,
Its good to see you back but sorry it's in such sad circumstances. When dementia affected us very much indeed we shared much and it is so very sad that we now have to share this very difficult time with Helen, and Sylvia.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
Hi Lizzie,
Its good to see you back but sorry it's in such sad circumstances. When dementia affected us very much indeed we shared much and it is so very sad that we now have to share this very difficult time with Helen, and Sylvia.

Thankyou Jan,

I too am saddened by the circumstances that bring me back to TP.

I couldn't not be here, if that makes sense. We shared so much years ago.

piedwarbler

Aug 3, 2010
South Ribble
I am glad to hear that the drivers seem to have done the trick. The only solutions must be for the docs to either find out if it is a side effect of a drug that's making Helen so sickly, or make her sleep through it? It seems cruel to let her be awake and suffering. I'm glad they have managed to quell it.
Helen is going through a tough time but how awesome that you are there with her. I'm quite sure that brings her the most enormous comfort.
Wishing for peace. Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Helen had a good sleep once the second driver was in place. Martin had a good break and saw one of his friends for a while. He then had a sleep at home before coming to the hospice.

It has been very warm and although the corner of her space has lots of Windows we can open, she still wanted more fresh air.

Mandy asked if she could be taken into the garden . Her bed was wheeled out but got as far as the shaded conservatory when we realised outside would be too bright and too hot. We stayed in the conservatory all afternoon, Helen sometimes sleeping sometimes joining in. Mandy did some reiki for Helen while she was sleeping. One of her friends visited.

Helen still had a few bouts of nausea . I don't know if they will ever truly go.

Mandy has gone home now, back to work. She may need more time off after I leave on Friday.

Helen was agitated early evening so accepted a lorazepam to calm her. She is sleeping now.

Before she slept she told us what would help. Something nice to smell....something nicer to taste......easily done.

We are both going home soon. Helen is reacting well to the nurses so we can take the chance.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Oh Sylvia. So sorry to see things aren't entirely perfect; Helen doesn't deserve that. I hope you both can get some rest.....You must feel so tired...xx

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
This must be so very hard for you all, Sylvia, to say the least. I hope that you all have a peaceful night and that tomorrow is more comfortable for Helen. Thinking of you all xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks everyone. Good morning.

Martin is still sleeping and I had a good night. I`m just going to look up the number of the hospice to see how Helen was overnight.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Just to say the hospice is permanently engaged . I`m sure we would have been contacted if the news was bad so I`ll wait till I get there.

Status
Not open for further replies.