So bizarre !

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Hello All, I've popped in to give you my update.
Knee is going well, I'm having to learn to take lots of rests.
Learning all the time what my limits are, and stopping before I am in pain.

Physio assessment was OK. Working out what help I need (if at all) in the kitchen and bathroom.
I'd done a lot of 'prep' myself. Chair in bathroom, kitchen so I can rest....

She made sure I was able to get in and out of bed, the bath etc....
Told me not to worry about things like making the bed every day, washing the floor.
She is coming back next week and asked if a student can come too.
I think I've been allocated 8 one hour visits.

In a couple of weeks all being well, weather dry... 'we' are going for a walk around the garden (big).
We have several paths, levels, steps, surfaces , so it will be very good practice for my new knee.
Flat is on a corner plot, wrap around garden, ideal for physio to see just how well I'm doing.
I'm still not sleeping well, so might ask GP Doc (or try herbal tabs) next week.

Family Update ......
SiL is/was still 'off' with me, as I didn't tell her about me having my knee op.
Family in laws are in a bit of a 'fix' as they are having to step in and look after their own mum.

Told (LWL) to SiL said I was called in for surgery with one days notice as someone else cancelled.
For the new people on TP, I was concerned my in laws would 'invent a MiL/Mum emergency'
.... and somehow stop me having my operation.
They don't like / cope with MiL and her Alz.... and for the most part avoid her.
Me being unavailable for the next few months has realllly set the cat amongst the pigeons.

Anyway....
SiL came over to visit when my sister was still here, SiL shocked to see her, as she didn't realise I had company.

I should of told her I had a visitor, as she has 'wasted a trip'.
Eh?, soooo you have only come to see me if I was on my own?
SiL did not really show a great deal of empathy, or concern...

She did ask how long I thought I'd be 'out of sorts', and I replied a few months.
I swear, she screeched :eek: .... What !!!, but what about Mum?
She then left the room, went outside to make a phone call, and I watched her from the kitchen window.
He phone 'free arm' was getting animated, waving it about, and I could see her watching me, watching her...
I can only guess this call was to one of her bothers (live in same town as MiL) , to give them the 'bad news'.

I had a call yesterday evening from my niece to see if I needed anything doing, or shopping?
She said her mum had been over to see Granny/ Mum earlier, and was now sat at home in tears upset ...

Her mum was OK for a while (this is MiL new normal), but then became agitated. I think she was switching between thinking her daughter was 'me', then her, then me.

MiL asked her daughter how 'her' knee was :confused:, then asked when I was coming over to see her.
When MiL thought her daughter was 'me' , was when she was at her most angry.

Now SiL is angry with me because her Mum thought she was 'me', and kept repeating the knee questions....
SiL cant cope with repetition in a calm manner. She cant hold her tongue.

OMG ! SiL asked her daughter when she thought I was going to be 'up for a visit' to Mums?
She thought it would 'do me good' to get out of the place, go for a drive, and visit Mum !!

Only had 2 calls from my other in laws.
Neither asked if I needed anything, more interested in when I was going to be back on duty.
I told them ask me again after Christmas. (I was joking).
I'm sure the air was blue after I put the phone down.

Sorry about my long post.... xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I bet you were chuckling!!
Tell them it'll be at least 6 months. You needn't add before you get signed off. Are you still going to move? You could have moved and settled before then!
Surprised the physio only just came. What would you have done if you hadn't been able to get into bed?!

Take it easy and good luck!

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
Sorry - I usually only lurk as Grandad passed away Nov 14 I don't usually feel like I should post unless I can be of use (which isn't very often!) but Grace I agree with Spamar - tell them at least several months and yes move and be settled by then (and don't give them a forwarding address!!).

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Thank you Angelface - half nervous, half excited at the moment! Just want to get there tomorrow and get stuck in - I think once I've met everyone and start to know all the ins and outs, I'll feel a lot better :)

GO GRACE! Oh - I would love to have been a fly on the wall and seen some of the in-laws reactions, especially Sil's! You stay strong, Hun, and Spamar and Fredsnail are right - tell them it will be several months, and if you can, get that move sorted and done before they can try and rope you back into caring for their Mother!

Hi Fredsnail - Spamar is right, post away, lots of little sidechats on here :D

A brief drop in this morning. DBS arrived yesterday, thankfully, so am all set now. Spent a lot of the day starting to properly sort out upstairs, as I really am going to need my 'office' (the box room, lol) back now. We had to turn it into a bedroom when Mil moved in, which poor oldest daughter got relegated to - always felt guilty about that! Now oldest has her old room back (when she comes home for a visit) and I can have my office - though at the moment, to be honest, its part office and part storage for Mils things!

In between we visited Mil. With youngest with us, we couldn't go on the ward, but were offered the use of the 'activity room', rather than the 'family room' - a big difference - bigger, brighter, not at all cell like. We were warned that Mil has had a couple of 'bad days' this week - I know she was very agitated on Tuesday, but apparently on Thursday and also yesterday morning, she was agitated enough for the prn meds to be used too - once again, same pattern as we have had before with Mil, the need for prn is steadily increasing and it will no doubt hit the stage where the medication ceases to be effective before too long :(

She was pretty calm when we saw her, but seemed a little more out of it than usual. Her hair was absolutely plastered to her head, not sure if it was grease or sweat that was responsible, but for once she was very aware that her hair was a mess, and fussed about it. Yesterdays 'theme' was all about college - she had 'visited a college this morning', 'this place' was a college, she was 'enrolling in a college'. . . we just went along with it as there was no upset or fretting attached to the fixation. Barely there 20 minutes and she started with 'Don't you have to go yet?', and moved quickly on to a firm 'You lot had better go now' - we managed to stay for just over half an hour, but that was it - us being there was clearly worrying her. I don't know if its she is struggling simply with having visitors, if even that small thing is too much 'excitement' for her - or if its a sort of fixation or loop that she has got into, where she really believes that we have to leave because she is worrying that we will be 'late' for a bus or somewhere else that she thinks we have to be?

I asked about washing as we were leaving, and despite being assured on Tuesday that there was none, yesterday I was prsented with two large, very full bags. They each had another bag inside them, which were tied up tight with a strip of plastic, so I expected the worse :rolleyes: I asked did she have enough clothes to last to at least Wednesday or Thursday, explaining I was going away and OH was working nights?. The nurse ( a new chap, not seen him before) said he would go and check, came back to tell me she would be fine as she had one clean pair of trousers left! I said that in that case, I assumed that meant that the bags were crammed with trousers, because she should have had at least 12 or so pairs there ?. He said there 'might' be more clothes that had been put out of her reach!

Got home, both bags filled mainly with absolutely soaked nightwear and both of Mils dressing gowns, along with one top, 2 pairs of trousers and 2 bra's. Oh yes - and once again, stuff that isn't Mils - a pair of pj bottoms this time. I wish I knew why, over the last 3 - 4 weeks, I've started to get so much wet nightwear? This is as bad now as it was before Mil finally accepted pull ups at night, and I had soaked nightclothes (and bedding) every single morning. I've politely and tactfully offered to bring in pull ups, and even taken some in after they have insisted that they have a supply there. We had occasional 'flooding' at home - but if thats the reason, it must be happening every single night at the moment in hospital :( I'm torn now, because I know she has no dressing gowns and possibly only 2 or 3 nighties at the hospital, and am wondering if I really should pop down today with the stuff I now have clean for her.

Catching up with the rest of the families washing, now I have Mils done, about to go for a shower and get dressed, hoping to head off to the zoo at about 11a.m.. I'm all packed for tomorrow, ready for an early start (train is at just after 6.30a.m.) - still havent dealt with the mallen streak, and not sure if I will actually get chance now, lol. No idea if I will get chance to check in now until I'm back, so love to all, hope you all have a peaceful few days, and that Grace's new knee continues to improve and that Dotty is feeling much better. Amy - good luck with your Mum's move if it happens while I'm away. Take care all xxxxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Morning, Ann, hope you have a good day today and all kinds of good luck for tomorrow! Will be thinking of you!
A mallen streak can look very distinguished, don't fret too much!

I overslept this morning, 07:45 before eyes opened! I'm usually up about 06:30. Don't know why,I was early to bed!
Blue skies, think it's going to be a fine day!
Have a good day, everyone!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
AnnMac - pull on those big brave knickers tomorrow, forget everyone else at home, and have a good informative time :)

Personally, I like the Mallen streak look.... Tho it has been known to look a bit Lilly Savage look in my case :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Spamar....
When I left the hospital the physios knew my sister was at home, so would not be alone if I needed help.

I had my op on Monday 22nd, and was discharged on the Friday....
I think the plan was to have someone visit me at home after the Bank Holiday Weekend.
The Community Physios are reallllly stretched. They have someone off long term sick, and others were on holiday. It is/ was just a matter of waiting.

I'm doing well, and I feel much better today, having slept for the first time.
Its a lovely day here, I would love to go for a proper walk.
I've been outside (before it gets too hot) and tried a little walking in the garden.
I'm not used to walking slow, I need to get used to that.

Yes, I am still planning on moving. Family in laws will be in for another shock !!

I'll leave it there ... don't want to get timed out again... xxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Good luck in your new job Ann, and hope that others keep on top of housework whilst your away, I know here before kids OH cooked and didn't even wash up when I was away for 3 days with work, a week and he did. Now washing up would be done and dau would likely keep the washing machine running.

Outside chance we will go to the zoo this afternoon.

Grace - glad to hear from you, sorry to hear of SILs and BIL shenanigans, at least SIL went to visit. I love you saying to contact you after Christmas. As soon as you do visit MIL they will get wind of it. And your sister being there did emphasise the fact that you were incapable of doing anything. Hope knee is progressing well, do as many of the physio exercises you've been given as you can cope with the pain is what I've heard from friends who've been keen to get back to cycling etc.

Son did well in his cross country, they had 6 classes out of 10 in his year doing PE at the same time and he came 2nd, but was using his inhaler during the run so I need to get him back to asthma nurse.

Myself OH and son did our first cyclocross race of the season, boy does 40 minutes of intense effort leave you in agony afterwards. I did better than I hoped in the race, but I am heavier than last year and so desperately need to lose some weight, I look awful in the photos, diet started last night.

Ann - I don't know how you fit all the extra washing in, I struggle to keep up with 4 of us, although cycling kit, and we all got smoked out with wood on BBq afterwards adds to the load.

Edit to add: I always copy my post before submitting it if I think I am going to get timed out - I know others type it up in word and then copy across.

Glad you've been outside Grace, - I can imagine walking slowly doesn't come easy, the family kept getting cross with me for walking too fast on holiday, but I am always rushing for trains etc so do it all the time.

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
I was never a fast walker, but I could keep going all day if necessary. I wish I could now!!
You'll get up to speed, Grace. Don't over do it, but keep trying! The early days are the crucial ones, as tissues take a while to heal.

Well, there was only the two of us, but I know all about mud! Spent many years on salt marshes! And shingle, but they're not muddy. My problem is I can't put wet towels and sheets on the washing line, too heavy for my arthritic shoulders. So very glad I've got a conservatory ( too big to go in airing cupboard ).
I always work on iPad, on app, but have never got timed out. And I spend ages doing some posts. Probably will tomorrow!

Very warm here, will stay indoors!
Keep well, everybody.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Spamar... Just wondering why you would want to put the conservatory in the airing cupboard

:eek: skim reading again :D

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point