Mum agitated and won't take meds

ginger1973

Jul 12, 2015
Kent
We have just had appointment 3 days ago at memory clinic and have been told that mum is now in advanced stages of Alzheimer's. She was only diagnosed in May 2015, and it has progressed so quickly. She is on anti-depressants and been told they will stop her Donepezil in a months time. We use to give her tablets to her at night, but have now been told to give them to her in the morning with her breakfast. In the last couple of days she has refused to take her tablets, and this morning she put them down the kitchen sink! She has been getting increasingly agitated over the last few weeks, wanting to go home to her mum and dad and little children (her mum and dad passed away over 40 years ago, and all her 'little' children are now in their 40's and 50's), banging at the door to go out (dad locks it to stop her going to her old house) and being aggressive verbally to dad. Our dad is her main carer and is finding it increasingly difficult to cope. She goes to Day Centre twice a week and has carers for 2 hours twice a week. Please can anyone advise how to deal with her moods and agitation, how to get her to take her meds and whether it might be time to look at care homes? Sorry for the long thread! Any help will be much appreciated. X

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
We have just had appointment 3 days ago at memory clinic and have been told that mum is now in advanced stages of Alzheimer's. She was only diagnosed in May 2015, and it has progressed so quickly. She is on anti-depressants and been told they will stop her Donepezil in a months time. We use to give her tablets to her at night, but have now been told to give them to her in the morning with her breakfast. In the last couple of days she has refused to take her tablets, and this morning she put them down the kitchen sink! She has been getting increasingly agitated over the last few weeks, wanting to go home to her mum and dad and little children (her mum and dad passed away over 40 years ago, and all her 'little' children are now in their 40's and 50's), banging at the door to go out (dad locks it to stop her going to her old house) and being aggressive verbally to dad. Our dad is her main carer and is finding it increasingly difficult to cope. She goes to Day Centre twice a week and has carers for 2 hours twice a week. Please can anyone advise how to deal with her moods and agitation, how to get her to take her meds and whether it might be time to look at care homes? Sorry for the long thread! Any help will be much appreciated. X

I used to crush meds and put them into something OH enjoyed eg yoghurt etc. some meds can be got in liquid form but that too can be difficult. he is now in a Nursing Home, happy and settled. I watch in amazement as he takes his tablets with a drink of water.

Please tell her doctor about all your concerns. Is there an admiral nurse in your area? You need all the help you can get. Other TPers may be able to give you better advice.

Sending you lots of support,

Aisling xx

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Have you checked her for a UTI? That can cause increased confusion and agitation.

Put meds in yoghurt or mousse to hide the taste and the fact she's taking them. Yoghurt with small fruit pieces in it is good for that kind of subterfuge.

Why is her Donepezil being discontinued? It isn't usually unless she experiences strong side-effects or it reacts badly with a different medication.

The time for a care home is usually when you think you can't cope anymore and it's in her best interests to be looked after by professionals. It's never a reflection on your standard of care.

ginger1973

Jul 12, 2015
Kent
Thank you for your help. Dad has an Admiral Nurse come round once a month to discuss his health and how he is coping. She is not due round again till October. I have suggested he ring her for further advice. They are stopping mums Donepezil as they feel there is no benefit to her taking it any more. She had been taking 10mg for about 14 months and they have cut it down to 5mg for a month before taking her off it completely. Depending on how her moods and behaviour are in month, depends on whether they give her calming meds. Today she has not had breakfast or dinner which is really worrying.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
I was told that the accepted action theses days is to leave people on Donepezil even when there might not be any noticeable benefit anymore, as stopping it might cause a sudden downturn. Maybe you could ask the consultant about that. My OH has been on it for years, scores a zero in all tests but no one is attempting to take him off it.

Ellaroo

Nov 16, 2015
Liverpool
Do you think the antidepressants are doing anything ? My mum has advanced dementia and only takes memantine . Psychiartist said if mum took anything to calm her down as can be verbally and physically aggressive, her mobility and cognitive function would suffer. Told me she would high risk of falling. I manage by dodging and diving .
Just a thought she may improve if taken off antidepressnts .

Youll know when its time for a care home. Everybody is different .
Thinking of you x

ferniegirl

May 10, 2015
Surrey, UK
Hi ginger. I know it is a horrible decision but if your mum is now in the advanced stages and your dad is struggling, I do think it is time for a care home. You have to think of your dad. My mum was banging on windows and shouting at and bullying my dad and he was suffering. It's only going to get worse I am afraid. All the best.