Everything goes in the mouth!!

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
Really strange behaviour in my eyes but maybe common in late stage AD? Mum drinks through a straw now but when the straw isn't in her mouth she then tries to suck on either a soft toy or her hand - or my hand, if available. Reminds me so much of babies - I suppose she has regressed to that. Anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour in the late stages?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Blueboy, my late Husband used to put everything in his mouth and suck it. My fingers, soft toys-absolutely everything. He started doing that at least a couple of years before he passed away. It's so sad to see how some PWD regress.

I hope the sucking isn't too distressing for you.

XX

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Blueboy, my late Husband used to put everything in his mouth and suck it. My fingers, soft toys-absolutely everything. He started doing that at least a couple of years before he passed away. It's so sad to see how some PWD regress.

I hope the sucking isn't too distressing for you.

XX

Exactly the same as my husband Blueboy. You have to be careful I know that Bill would have put anything in his mouth and might have swallowed something he shouldn't have.

blueboy

Feb 21, 2015
I was already aware that she would put anything in her mouth and has done for nearly a year - this is just sucking. No, it doesn't distress me any more than this whole horrible illness distresses me! Just strange to see my Mum regressing to being a baby again, in every way. I hadn't noticed any of the other care home residents doing this sucking thing - maybe Mum is further on in the illness than they are - though I know that everyone is very different.

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
My mum's recently started doing this when she's thirsty. I thought it would upset me more but in a strange way I felt maternal when I saw it. It was as if I had a window into her babyhood in 1924. She was there. She's still with us in the 21st century. Her first great-grandchild was born last week. He sucks his hands when he's thirsty. The wheel turns.

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
In very late stages, when I was holding her hand, my mother would lift my hand and put my fingers in her mouth. At that stage she didn't know me at all or respond to me in any other way.. I saw it as regression to babyhood, but whether that's the case I don't know.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Classy@1951