This is about my dementia...

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
I have experienced a deep downturn in the status of my emphysema. For years now I have been trying to do my best to keep it from down-turning but this last horrible heat spell we experienced here in Michigan took a great toll on me and I won't bounce back this time...and because my doctor now backs away (far, far away) from suggesting treatments for it or any of the other physical difficulties I have, I made the decision for Hospice. This after talking with my son and daughter and several close friends.

I write this because I am still coming out of a terrible experience with my vascular dementia. I believe a combination of things: the heat, the great difficulty breathing and a major upheaval in my personal life created a cognitive melt down. The cognitive deficits were so great that I wasn't certain if I would ever 'come out' of it. I was terrified that I wouldn't. The personal upheaval involved changing completely my next of kin, my POAs for finances and health, and trying to put into place people who could assist me with the things the other person had been doing. Then came Hospice. That decision has brought about a whirlwind of activity. I am not used to activity whirling. These good people are not interested in the dementia...only the emphysema. So, they come at me like speeding bullets; I have had to constantly ask them to slow down; give me time to respond; allow me to write things down; let me know when they're coming--not just show up as their schedule dictates. They make me nervous and that has brought back many of the symptoms that were beginning to leave me. There's so much more I could add to this, but of course I won't do that.

There is a person close to me who has graciously agreed to take over my POA affairs and she is so good about being with me when people come here, but she does live 30 minutes away and she does have her own life. I have tried to co-ordinate the visits with her schedule but it's not always possible. Today I had a Hospice nurse in for evaluation and it didn't take long for me to forget everything he was telling me. I had to have him repeat it all so that I could write it down. And when I tried to express to him my various difficulties regarding cognition, he simply changed the subject to emphysema. Right now, my lung problems and the dementia are running neck in neck for domination of my life. I really don't like that.

Thoughts of my end of life race through my mind. This 'process' of being processed irritates me. I have visions of being 'taken over'. (Yes, that crappy paranoia:mad:) Too many people at once. Too much information to wade through. I'm not ready. I don't want to be ready. I would at least like to be able to approach this with a clear and functioning mind...but I am unable. It just seems like so much right now. And I'm tired. Just weary.

My better angels tell me that this is all just smoke and mirrors. The confusion, the racing thoughts, the visual disruptions and all the rest of my dementia symptoms will settle down and the last thing I need to do is dive into fear.

The good news is that I purposed to write this down and share it with TP. I don't think I have made much sense, but I'm not going to dwell on that. I'm just going to post it. And I just wanted to vent this out and by God's grace that will be all there is to it. Thanks to all of you for being here for me.

Peace and that in abundance to us all...LoisJean

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi there.

I'm sorry to read about the turmoil you are experiencing. It must be so hard but you sound very brave. I hope the hospice staff quickly begin to realise the impact your dementia has on what they do and how they communicate with you.

Wishing you strength. x

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
LoisJean, I am sorry you are going through this, with the difficulties you describe.
Hopefully things will settle into more of a calm routine soon -- you have achieved such a lot in putting things in place, it must have been exhausting.
I hope that writing it all out has helped, and knowing that there are so many of us on here wishing you strength. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
You have made more sense than you could imagine LoisJean.

I`m so sorry you have found yourself in this predicament but full of admiration for the way you have manage to organise health and legal welfare to the best of your ability.

I`m sorry the hospice isn`t acknowledging the impact your dementia is making on your life but sadly the hospice movement is predominantly for end of life care and the cause just now is your emphysema rather than your dementia.

I would have expected more compassion from them though.

I do hope you will be able to continue to post.

With very best wishes ...............

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Your post made absolute sense, LoisJean. I'm just sorry we can do no more than be at the other end of the computer - but we will be here, as long as you can, or want to, keep posting. xx

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
Agreeing with LadyA.
I wish the people who will be/are treating us could experience the condition themselves for a while and then recover, so that they could work with us more effectively and with more empathy.other

I remember a trainer who made medical students spend a day wearing gloves, then another day wearing obscuring glasses and so on. Seemed like and excellent idea.

caqqufa

Jun 4, 2016
LoisJean you had me in tears - for so many reasons. It really is heartbreaking to see how very few people, even in care, have no idea how to deal with persons with dementia. How insensitive. But how brave you are. I so admire you for it. Thank you for sharing.

Aisling

Dec 5, 2015
Ireland
I have experienced a deep downturn in the status of my emphysema. For years now I have been trying to do my best to keep it from down-turning but this last horrible heat spell we experienced here in Michigan took a great toll on me and I won't bounce back this time...and because my doctor now backs away (far, far away) from suggesting treatments for it or any of the other physical difficulties I have, I made the decision for Hospice. This after talking with my son and daughter and several close friends.

I write this because I am still coming out of a terrible experience with my vascular dementia. I believe a combination of things: the heat, the great difficulty breathing and a major upheaval in my personal life created a cognitive melt down. The cognitive deficits were so great that I wasn't certain if I would ever 'come out' of it. I was terrified that I wouldn't. The personal upheaval involved changing completely my next of kin, my POAs for finances and health, and trying to put into place people who could assist me with the things the other person had been doing. Then came Hospice. That decision has brought about a whirlwind of activity. I am not used to activity whirling. These good people are not interested in the dementia...only the emphysema. So, they come at me like speeding bullets; I have had to constantly ask them to slow down; give me time to respond; allow me to write things down; let me know when they're coming--not just show up as their schedule dictates. They make me nervous and that has brought back many of the symptoms that were beginning to leave me. There's so much more I could add to this, but of course I won't do that.

There is a person close to me who has graciously agreed to take over my POA affairs and she is so good about being with me when people come here, but she does live 30 minutes away and she does have her own life. I have tried to co-ordinate the visits with her schedule but it's not always possible. Today I had a Hospice nurse in for evaluation and it didn't take long for me to forget everything he was telling me. I had to have him repeat it all so that I could write it down. And when I tried to express to him my various difficulties regarding cognition, he simply changed the subject to emphysema. Right now, my lung problems and the dementia are running neck in neck for domination of my life. I really don't like that.

Thoughts of my end of life race through my mind. This 'process' of being processed irritates me. I have visions of being 'taken over'. (Yes, that crappy paranoia:mad:) Too many people at once. Too much information to wade through. I'm not ready. I don't want to be ready. I would at least like to be able to approach this with a clear and functioning mind...but I am unable. It just seems like so much right now. And I'm tired. Just weary.

My better angels tell me that this is all just smoke and mirrors. The confusion, the racing thoughts, the visual disruptions and all the rest of my dementia symptoms will settle down and the last thing I need to do is dive into fear.

The good news is that I purposed to write this down and share it with TP. I don't think I have made much sense, but I'm not going to dwell on that. I'm just going to post it. And I just wanted to vent this out and by God's grace that will be all there is to it. Thanks to all of you for being here for me.

Dear LoisJean,

Your courage and bravery leave me speechless. Sending you blessings and virtual hugs,

Aisling xx

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015

You are an inspiration to others be sure that your words carry much strength to others and make us all stronger together

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
Thanks to all of you

Thank you so very much for your kind words and encouragement! You have truly helped me to carry on and given me reason to look forward rather than backward. How grateful I am, how deeply thankful I am for your presence in my life. I am trying to get my affairs in order now--to be about the business of business and hopefully get it all over with quickly. All the i's have been dotted, the t's crossed and the notary stamps stamped regarding the POAs for my finances and health as well a 'do not resuscitate' form-- it's just a matter of distribution to the proper people now. It is very taxing to try to digest all this. Deeply I am aware that once not so long ago this stuff would have been easy to do, but for me now it's like walking through cement just to complete a simple form and I have had to be judicious about not getting too overloaded. Thank God for the help I am receiving.

The one thing I didn't agree upon was the Hospice experience. They simply were too pushy, too invasive...I felt as if I was a sheep being herded to the dip:eek: Perhaps they offended a certain sense of principles I developed over so many years of clinical care nursing. I don't know...maybe I'm just not ready to go 'gently into that good night'. Also, the dementia plays a huge role in my perceptions of what people are attempting to introduce me to. Its quite odd. More times than not these days I feel like Alice in Wonderland. One one side of me the Hatter is saying I've lost my 'much-ness' and on the other it's the Red Queen screaming, "Off with 'er 'ead!"

I think I had written a note to self to start another blog...I can't find it..but it doesn't matter because I just recalled it, didn't I?..but, I'll write it down again anyway. :confused:

Bless all of you here on TP. Peace to us all and that in abundance... LoisJean

The Chewtor

Feb 6, 2016
Gillingham, Kent
Hi LoisJean, so sorry to have missed your post at the right time, i have been much too sidetracked lately, sometimes good but often bad. anyway, i have done a PM and just wanted to let you know in case it does not register all the way in US of A. the carrier pigeon will be very tired by the time it gets to you.

I know it has been a long time, but have you finished with my missing 4 hours from months ago. i am really running short on time and could use the extra ha ha.

Love Wayne

p.s. and while you are getting finances etc in order, make sure you add me at least 10 minutes for the interest accrued lol!

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
..... Deeply I am aware that once not so long ago this stuff would have been easy to do, but for me now it's like walking through cement just to complete a simple form and I have had to be judicious about not getting too overloaded. Thank God for the help I am receiving.
.... More times than not these days I feel like Alice in Wonderland. One one side of me the Hatter is saying I've lost my 'much-ness' and on the other it's the Red Queen screaming, "Off with 'er 'ead!"
I think I had written a note to self to start another blog...I can't find it..but it doesn't matter because I just recalled it, didn't I?..but, I'll write it down again anyway. :confused:
Peace to us all and that in abundance... LoisJean

Such true stuff, LJ. As well as that kind of experience, it's still very hot here and that's doing my head in even more.