Social Workers vs CPNs

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Thanks Shortgirl for your support. Money is really the least of our worries. We just want help to help our Dad and to be pointed in the right direction. If we have to pay for it so be it.

Dear Hendy, our worries are nothing compared to yours. I am all set for a battle, if that's what it takes, or to work with them. I would prefer the latter, but think we may have the former on our hands. Gloves on.... to start with.... ;)

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
you either get allocated a SW or a CPN.

In my area We only been allocated a duty social worker

More alarmingly I was told that once the SW's recommendations for the day centre have been put in to place, the file will be closed and if we need help in the future a new file will be opened and we will be assigned a new SW/CPN. Where is the continuity of care?

file will be closed and if we need help in the future a new file will be opened and we will be assigned a new SW/CPN.

That a load of **** they can not close the file If your father been allocated a day centre, they can only close it if your father does not except they help or your mother did not want to perceive with sending your father to day centre or any other support they can offer him .

I have never had a CPN. It does read from your post that Your main concern is your father challenging behaviours, CPN can advice you in how to handle them.

We just want help to help our Dad and to be pointed in the right direction.

From my own experience as the disease progresses another change happens, the only really understanding I had learnt with helping me is the AZ day centre staff, TP & reading books on challenging behaviours & how to handle them , then only this year I found Admiral nurses really good .

They even came out to your home chat with your mother,they very hand on in helping carer who care for someone with a
Dementia they better then any CPN or Social worker .

it’s a free service. I wish I had ringed those years ago.

Just think about it and ponder on this CPN are trained for people with mental illness.

How do you perceive dementica as a mental illness or an organic illness?

Amaril nurses are trained for people with a dementica

So why have a CPN . when they is
Dementia trained nurses called Admiral nurses that know how to deal with challenging behaviours with people with Dementia

They only a phone call away

Last edited:

elaineo2

Jul 6, 2007
leigh lancashire
dear sue,a shocking shame of the council.as i said before my friend had trouble with wigan council,we decided on bein crafty.he came to us in warrington for respite,now if he stays self funding for 6 months,(family paying)warrington will accept him as a resident and will fund him!its a shame you have to play the game.good luck.elainex

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Well, as usual, I have no idea what you are all talking about. As mum is self-funding she has no contact with a Social Worker, they do not service self-funding residents, and I have get to determine what a CPN does, or who she is. My mum did have a memory test performed at the Care Home about a month ago, I only learned about that cos mum told me. I have no idea who would have performed that, and no contact with that person. Might that have been a CPN? Should she or someone have told be about this test?

I am in the dark on all of this.

Margaret, fed up.

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Margeret
A CPN is a community psychiatric nurse. Not everybody does get one. They are part of the 'community outreach psychiatric'team (or some other similar name) I suppose it all depends on whats going on in your area. I think your first port of call would be mums GP, they are probably taking care of mum?, or mums consultant? The home will be able to tell you which it is. I think its best to find out how things are structured and then get nagging for more help when you know who to go to. I think self funding patients get left to their own devices pretty much. Dad was self funding for a while, but he was still being looked after by the consultant and attended outpatients of the pyshiatric ward, at least one day a week to take part in ocuupational therapy sessions etc.
take care
hendy

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
A rather delayed update on my Dad, due partly to the fact that things started to move rather quickly (wonders will never cease!) and then I ran away to Greece for a week.

We had a long meeting with the SW, who is a very young, sweet girl with all the best of intentions and about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Fortunately she had a much more senior SW with her. I walked in armed with a file 12" thick with all the relevant legislation, and they counter-attacked with a few flimsy leaflets in their arsenal. I was polite but forceful and the upshot was that my Dad had an induction at the Day Centre 4 days later.

The staff at the Day Centre were fabulous. The carer who we talked to was lovely, engaged my Dad who was at his most charming. The SW arrived (late of course) and asked my Dad if he remembered her. 'NO' he said pointedly and turned away. :rolleyes: My Dad started at the Day Centre 2 days later and we will see how it goes.

On Friday we had a home visit from the Consultant, chocolate fireguard, and a CPN. I wasn't there, as I was in Greece, but my sister was, and the upshot was that the Consultant agreed that in all probability my Dad had suffered another stroke as he has gone downhill quite dramatically in the last few weeks. He is having difficulty in getting dressed and with personal care, cleaning teeth etc.

The CPN was the complete opposite of the SW, more of a nightclub bouncer, but clearly with more life experience. He has some spare capacity and will visit my Mum and Dad over the next few weeks to try and help.

Respite is now looking more likely, with all the problems that brings...

It was very hard for me being out of the country and I felt much better when I was able to speak to my Dad by telephone on the Friday night. I really feel for people who are not able to be geographically close to their loved ones.

So all in all we have shaken things up, but how much they can actually do for my Dad remains to be seen....

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan