Mum back in hospital

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Saturday night we were walking with her frame to the toilet and I was assissting as usual and her legs stopped working!

After about 30 mins of standing in the hall and the carer 2 hours off I rang 111 and they assessed mum as needing an ambulance.

They took her to hospital and I followed in the car. 8pm she got there and the Doctor decided to admit her. 3am and they found a female bed to get her into, plenty of male beds just not female.

Mum is due to start a new care package but its becoming difficult to put in place as the hospital cannot give a release date.

Speaking to her nurse today she said mum would need some bed based rehab and she would contact the social worker. She is walking on the ward but with 2 staff assissting and a frame.

I think she needs a wheelchair as it is going to be difficult toiletting when she has difficulty walking and need two people as there is only me at home.

See what a couple of days brings.

Tim

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Sorry to hear this Tim, have the hospital said what caused her to stop walking?

Not really its like trying to get blood out of a stone, A&E doctor wanted to check for infection but I am thinking either arthritis of the spine or progression of dementia.

Thoughts?

arielsmelody

Jul 16, 2015
Not really its like trying to get blood out of a stone, A&E doctor wanted to check for infection but I am thinking either arthritis of the spine or progression of dementia.

Thoughts?

When you said her legs stopped working, did she fall to the floor or did she stay standing but not walking? My mum suddenly lost the use of her lower body and the two main things they thought of were a stroke or a spinal infection. Fingers crossed it is just something temporary in your mum's case and she makes a good recovery.

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Not easy for you, Tim. I know dad just stopped walking/ being able to stand a few months ago. It was a progression of his illness, I'm afraid. Hopefully, your mum will recover quickly, and it's just a temporary thing. Please keep us up to date. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
When you said her legs stopped working, did she fall to the floor or did she stay standing but not walking? My mum suddenly lost the use of her lower body and the two main things they thought of were a stroke or a spinal infection. Fingers crossed it is just something temporary in your mum's case and she makes a good recovery.

Stayed standing and is walking again with the assisstance of two nurses and a frame, she will be getting physiotherapy too.

Reallife

Jun 12, 2015
Lancashire
Could be an infection. My Dad loses the ability to move his legs when he has an infection. They do move but only when you start to move them for him. Once he goes on antibiotics he seems to spring back.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Hospital nurses say she is medically fit to release but the social worker needs to get in touch.

Dementia can be so depressing for the relatives as mum was asking to come home with me tonight and I got the feeling mum had been saying things to the nurses earlier as they seemed fed up with her questions and were ignoring her, even the patient next door to her bed was a bit short.

I know it can be a bit annoying and frustrating at times but surely nurses should be able to cope with a dementia patient, feeling pretty low at the moment and just want mum out of there.

Social worker has to see her yet and do another assessment so I will try and contact him tomorrow.

Tim

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It is depressing and we don't know what each day has in store for us. Your mum's mobility does sound worrying, hope things can be sorted soon.

banger696

Sep 17, 2015
North East
Mum is home, dunno what the hospital did but her walking is 10x better than last Saturday. She did my head in wanting to go home about 6pm but all was forgotten after a cuppa.

New carer knows what she is doing she looked after both her mum and dad who had dementia and says dementia is her passion.