Help please need advice re carehome

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Hi lovely TP people

Some of you may know my dad is currently under a section 2 and hopefully will be getting him moved to a care home next week, if they are happy to accept him.

My question is, if I want to move him after this, to another care home, am I permitted to do this? (he is self funding)

Really hope to get some advise from those that have done this please :eek::eek::eek:

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
Oh dear Angie, I've just read some of your past posts and you seem to be on a roller coaster at the moment :(. I hope the move to a care home goes smoothly for you all.

I should think that since your dad is self-funding then moving him to another care home would be entirely possible, provided they can give him the care that he needs. We moved my dad from his initial care home to another after just two weeks, because we felt the first one wasn't suitable. But I don't think we could have left it much longer since he was already getting used to the routines and the place itself. Every case is different though. I'm sure others will have more help and advice :)

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Oh dear Angie, I've just read some of your past posts and you seem to be on a roller coaster at the moment :(. I hope the move to a care home goes smoothly for you all.

I should think that since your dad is self-funding then moving him to another care home would be entirely possible, provided they can give him the care that he needs. We moved my dad from his initial care home to another after just two weeks, because we felt the first one wasn't suitable. But I don't think we could have left it much longer since he was already getting used to the routines and the place itself. Every case is different though. I'm sure others will have more help and advice :)

Thanks Looviloo

They say my dad has challenging behaviour because he thinks he is perfectly fine, and so the care home that is going to see him have 2 sides, one fairly normal, and one which is more clinical and a petals wing, and dementia wing, which is the side I did not want at all :( its much more clinical, so I want to get him out of the hospital asap, they are saying could be as early as next Tuesday (his 28 day section ends next Thursday) however I dont think he will like it, I have found another place, which is beautiful, huge gardens and also deal with dementia people, so my plan is to see if I can get him moved again, once I have got him out of the hospital and into a care home first, and then try to improve on that for him, I want it right for him :(:(:( I have to fight for him, as I know what he will like...... the preferred home has massive grounds, a local cafe, and a local pub, which I know he would love so he can pop over the road for a cuppa and a natter etc....... this is so hard, I am trying so hard to get the best for him, but he is so challenging, the hospital think he will end up in nursing care for this reason.... he keeps waving his blinking fists around (but never acts on it) but comes across as very intimidating to them :eek:

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Hi Angie1996
I hope everything goes okay when your Dad moves into a CH. As you know my Dad too has been in a CH for the past 4 months. We have just moved him to a new CH better suited for him and us. We moved him after 3.5 months and he has been in his new CH for just over 2 weeks.
He has settled really well and the move was the best thing for him. He no longer has trouble with falling out of bed, or with getting up out of a chair. I know in the future we will need to move him again and after this move I'm hoping it will be just as smooth.
If in the future you need to move your Dad for his best interests don't hesitate as he will adjust. My Dad will now be in his new CH permanently so we needed it to be right.
Take care hope it goes well ☺

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
Thanks Looviloo

They say my dad has challenging behaviour because he thinks he is perfectly fine, and so the care home that is going to see him have 2 sides, one fairly normal, and one which is more clinical and a petals wing, and dementia wing, which is the side I did not want at all :( its much more clinical, so I want to get him out of the hospital asap, they are saying could be as early as next Tuesday (his 28 day section ends next Thursday) however I dont think he will like it, I have found another place, which is beautiful, huge gardens and also deal with dementia people, so my plan is to see if I can get him moved again, once I have got him out of the hospital and into a care home first, and then try to improve on that for him, I want it right for him :(:(:( I have to fight for him, as I know what he will like...... the preferred home has massive grounds, a local cafe, and a local pub, which I know he would love so he can pop over the road for a cuppa and a natter etc....... this is so hard, I am trying so hard to get the best for him, but he is so challenging, the hospital think he will end up in nursing care for this reason.... he keeps waving his blinking fists around (but never acts on it) but comes across as very intimidating to them :eek:

Hi Angie

If your dad's self-funding, then I can't see any reason why you shouldn't move him if the care home you have in mind are happy to take him (they'll want to do their own assessment).

Your situation is very similar to the one I had with my dad. He was taken to hospital when found wandering the streets, and discharged to a local care home a couple of days later. I found a care home very near me (I am his only immediate family) - with lovely grounds, great stuff, etc, etc, and had him moved here within a month. No problem at all.

He later had to move again because he became aggressive and violent - but again, because he's self-funding, I was able to move him to another home close to me. After some initial difficulties they have, on the whole, 'managed' him pretty well.

The key, really, is each home's approach and assessment of your dad, and whether they think they can meet his needs.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
X

Thanks Looviloo

The second home sounds ideal and the cafe and pub being so close a bonus.

I have one thought though, will your Father be allowed out on his own to visit them, if not will there always be a Carer available to accompany him and stay with him when he wants to go? If it is a case of a Carer going with him make sure you get an assurance that this can be managed as most care homes run on the minimum staff allowed with no spare staff. We have reports on here of residents being taken to hospital without anyone with them because no carers available.

Last edited:

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Hi Angie1996
I hope everything goes okay when your Dad moves into a CH. As you know my Dad too has been in a CH for the past 4 months. We have just moved him to a new CH better suited for him and us. We moved him after 3.5 months and he has been in his new CH for just over 2 weeks.
He has settled really well and the move was the best thing for him. He no longer has trouble with falling out of bed, or with getting up out of a chair. I know in the future we will need to move him again and after this move I'm hoping it will be just as smooth.
If in the future you need to move your Dad for his best interests don't hesitate as he will adjust. My Dad will now be in his new CH permanently so we needed it to be right.
Take care hope it goes well ☺

Thanks Jbob its reassuring to know this can be done :) glad your dad has settled well :D long may it continue, I cant wait to get this for my dad, I want him happy, but don't think he ever will be........

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Hi Angie

If your dad's self-funding, then I can't see any reason why you shouldn't move him if the care home you have in mind are happy to take him (they'll want to do their own assessment).

Your situation is very similar to the one I had with my dad. He was taken to hospital when found wandering the streets, and discharged to a local care home a couple of days later. I found a care home very near me (I am his only immediate family) - with lovely grounds, great stuff, etc, etc, and had him moved here within a month. No problem at all.

He later had to move again because he became aggressive and violent - but again, because he's self-funding, I was able to move him to another home close to me. After some initial difficulties they have, on the whole, 'managed' him pretty well.

The key, really, is each home's approach and assessment of your dad, and whether they think they can meet his needs.

Jbob does the care home Manager of the new home meet the person in their current home? or do they end up back in hospital first, then moved again?

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
The second home sounds ideal and the cafe and pub being so close a bonus.

I have one thought though, will your Father be allowed out on his own to visit them, if not will there always be a Carer available to accompany him and stay with him when he wants to go? If it is a case of a Carer going with him make sure you get an assurance that this can be managed as most care homes run on the minimum staff allowed with no spare staff. We have reports on here of residents being taken to hospital without anyone with them because no carers available.

Thanks Jaymour thats a good point thank you :) this did confuse me a bit, as on one hand they are saying SRC home and the other hand the were talking about an open home! :D the care home manager where he will firstly be going has asked the hospital for a full mental health assessment first before she meets him......

I just have to bite my lip a bit longer on this, and see what they come up with :eek::eek::eek:

Jbob

Apr 20, 2016
Hi Angie1996,
The care home manager came out and met my Dad in his old CH and assessed him there with my Mum present.
She then said whether he was suitable and then the new CH picked him up and brought him to the new CH in their own transport which was easier for him to get into.
I think with his Dols they need to collect himfor safeguarding purposes. The same happened when he left hospital to the first CH. He was brought there in an ambulance for his safety in case he went off with us I think. Think there is a duty of care with hand overs? ☺

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
Jbob does the care home Manager of the new home meet the person in their current home? or do they end up back in hospital first, then moved again?

Think you've confused me with Jbob ;)

To answer your question - on both occasions, the care home managers went to assess Dad where he was, i.e. at his then current care home.

Everywhere has its own way of doing things, though, but your dad really shouldn't have to go back to hospital for that purpose.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Think you've confused me with Jbob ;)

To answer your question - on both occasions, the care home managers went to assess Dad where he was, i.e. at his then current care home.

Everywhere has its own way of doing things, though, but your dad really shouldn't have to go back to hospital for that purpose.

Oh sorry joggyb your right!! :D:D:D and thank you for answering x

LizK

Dec 18, 2015
Surrey
Jaymor makes a very good point. In my husband's nursing home, I've witnessed residents wanting to go outside into the lovely grounds or recently to attend the fete, but there weren't carers available to take them.

Liz

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Jaymor makes a very good point. In my husband's nursing home, I've witnessed residents wanting to go outside into the lovely grounds or recently to attend the fete, but there weren't carers available to take them.

Liz

thanks LizK :)

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
I noticed that too, when I went to a beautiful Care Home. Dementia residents could only access the lovely garden if some one went with them. The Care Home where he is now, for all its other faults, has a nice garden which is secure, and residents can go in and out as they wish.

The difference is the posh home was for all sorts of different needs, while the one he's in is only for residents with Dementia.

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Thank you, the one currently viewing my dad is a secure unit so he can go in the garden, I am still waiting for a decision .....

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

dottyd

Jan 22, 2011
n.e.
Can I suggest a nursing home with mental health nurse in attendance.
Mum in a lovely one and can access the he Darren independently.
A lot of the residents are mobile
Mum has challenging and unpredictable needs

Angie1996

May 15, 2016
Somerset
Can I suggest a nursing home with mental health nurse in attendance.
Mum in a lovely one and can access the he Darren independently.
A lot of the residents are mobile
Mum has challenging and unpredictable needs

Thanks Dottyd, this was not what I wanted for him yet, hence the battle, today Dr agreed he is not ready yet, I will agree in time, but not yet.........most nursing homes turned him down anyway due to his challenging needs........ this is such a journey :)