Public Washrooms Challenges

Kijo

Feb 9, 2014
As my children are grown, and I don't have grandchildren, I've only just noticed now how many places do not have family rest rooms. This weekend we were out quite a bit, and on 4 occasions I had to walk my husband into the men's room to open a stall, then walk back in to let him out as he can't figure it out. I'd just holler out "hello"to make sure I wasn't walking in on anyone. On the 5th occasion the men's was so busy that I just walked him into the ladies with me and went in the handicap stall. I was fortunate on all occasions that I didn't run into any comments; just a few strange looks.
I found that if he goes in by himself he drops his pants wherever and pees in sink or tries to sit in the urinal like a toilet which of course, startles the other men coming and going, and then he has to nearly redress himself which can be a challenge.
Now I realize how frustrating it must be for the parents that have slightly older (but not quite old enough to be on their own) children of the opposite sex wanting to use public washrooms. Hopefully with our aging population, and with many people with independence challenges this will be something taken into consideration in new buildings going up.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
I have a feeling you are outside the UK as you mention "rest rooms"? We don't really have family rooms just baby-changing facilities at some public toilets.

Could you take your husband into the disabled toilet? They are usually big enough for a wheelchair so ample for two people to go in and you would not be embarrassed by taking him into the ladies'/you going into the men's?

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
There is one easy solution: buy a RADAR key and you can use any accessible toilet facility throughout the country! They can be got cheaply online.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I thought the same Nita - about using disables toilets and was going to give advice about where to get a key for the oublic ones - then thought (like you) that the wording suggested that Kijo was not in the UK. I also noticed a mention of "handicap stall" in the ladies. Do they not have separate disabled toilets?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
There is one easy solution: buy a RADAR key and you can use any accessible toilet facility throughout the country! They can be got cheaply online.

My guess is that nita's right "washrooms" and "family rest rooms" as does "stall" not cubicle sound like it's not a UK poster so a RADAR key system may not be an option .
Will architects start to allow for an ageing populations, I doubt it somehow.
K

Kijo

Feb 9, 2014
I have a feeling you are outside the UK as you mention "rest rooms"? We don't really have family rooms just baby-changing facilities at some public toilets.

Could you take your husband into the disabled toilet? They are usually big enough for a wheelchair so ample for two people to go in and you would not be embarrassed by taking him into the ladies'/you going into the men's?

You are right - I am from British Columbia, Canada. Here, in most cases, the handicap stalls are in the women's and in the men's and rarely set apart. Once in awhile they have a separate one that is labeled "family" and covers baby-changing, and wheelchair access or taking in small children.

NanLorac

May 14, 2012
Scotland
I have been taking my husband to disabled toilets for a while now, even if I need the toilet. I can't leave him alone outside as he would wander off. In your case I think I would take him into the ladies toilet and use the disabled stall.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I have been taking my husband to disabled toilets for a while now, even if I need the toilet. I can't leave him alone outside as he would wander off. In your case I think I would take him into the ladies toilet and use the disabled stall.

I agree. Since women's rest rooms have no urinals everyone who is any state of undress is in a stall.

And I would also add: go to the customer service counter and ask for help. If everyone did this, maybe the company in question would put in a family restroom that would help everyone.