Problems with alcohol consumption?

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Hi everyone

My mother, who has VD, got to the point where she was consuming far too much alcohol. If it hadn't been a problem, I wouldn't have interfered, but she has also had severe arthritis for 45 years, resulting in serious mobility problems, and the amount of alcohol she was drinking ... up to a bottle and a half of wine every day ... was making her very prone to falling. That, plus the fact that she was on a nasty drug called methotrexate which makes your liver more vulnerable, made her regular consumption of that much alcohol very dangerous. She also got very argumentative and quite nasty when she'd had a lot to drink.

Once the VD set in, she completely lost track of how much she was drinking - would swear that she'd only had one or two glasses when, in fact, she was onto her second bottle. The doctors kept telling her she needed to cut down, but she wouldn't, often starting at 4pm and drinking through the evening. When challenged, she said it was "her only pleasure in life".

So I thought I'd share our strategy, which has worked very well, in case anyone else is experiencing the same problems and at their wits' end, as I was a few years ago.

Firstly, we started telling her that it was dangerous to have alcohol in her stomach before she had her evening medication, and that she had to wait for half an hour after she had her pills. That caused a number of battles, pretty much every evening for 6 months, but continual reinforcement finally got the message through and she stopped drinking before 6 or 6.30pm. Eventually, she started regulating herself with regard to time.

At the same time, since we were now doing her shopping for her, I started buying much lower strength wine. She always used to buy 13% proof, at least, but I started buying Tesco's 10.5% proof, which helped a lot.

Once she had got used to the lower alcohol content, I gradually started replacing some of the wine in each bottle with alcohol-free wine, pouring the rest into an empty bottle, and then topping it up with alcohol free as well. We're now up to about a quarter of a bottle alcohol-free, which makes each bottle about 8% proof.

Thanks to the dementia, she hasn't noticed, and so is still able to happily drink 4 or 5 glasses a night without getting so drunk she falls down or risks liver damage. Fewer trips to the hospital, fewer arguments, and she still has her little 'comfort' of wine in the evening.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has experienced this problem, or found other ways to address it without upsetting the PWD.

Hugs

Jo

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
Hi everyone

My mother, who has VD, got to the point where she was consuming far too much alcohol. If it hadn't been a problem, I wouldn't have interfered, but she has also had severe arthritis for 45 years, resulting in serious mobility problems, and the amount of alcohol she was drinking ... up to a bottle and a half of wine every day ... was making her very prone to falling. That, plus the fact that she was on a nasty drug called methotrexate which makes your liver more vulnerable, made her regular consumption of that much alcohol very dangerous. She also got very argumentative and quite nasty when she'd had a lot to drink.

Once the VD set in, she completely lost track of how much she was drinking - would swear that she'd only had one or two glasses when, in fact, she was onto her second bottle. The doctors kept telling her she needed to cut down, but she wouldn't, often starting at 4pm and drinking through the evening. When challenged, she said it was "her only pleasure in life".

So I thought I'd share our strategy, which has worked very well, in case anyone else is experiencing the same problems and at their wits' end, as I was a few years ago.

Firstly, we started telling her that it was dangerous to have alcohol in her stomach before she had her evening medication, and that she had to wait for half an hour after she had her pills. That caused a number of battles, pretty much every evening for 6 months, but continual reinforcement finally got the message through and she stopped drinking before 6 or 6.30pm. Eventually, she started regulating herself with regard to time.

At the same time, since we were now doing her shopping for her, I started buying much lower strength wine. She always used to buy 13% proof, at least, but I started buying Tesco's 10.5% proof, which helped a lot.

Once she had got used to the lower alcohol content, I gradually started replacing some of the wine in each bottle with alcohol-free wine, pouring the rest into an empty bottle, and then topping it up with alcohol free as well. We're now up to about a quarter of a bottle alcohol-free, which makes each bottle about 8% proof.

Thanks to the dementia, she hasn't noticed, and so is still able to happily drink 4 or 5 glasses a night without getting so drunk she falls down or risks liver damage. Fewer trips to the hospital, fewer arguments, and she still has her little 'comfort' of wine in the evening.

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has experienced this problem, or found other ways to address it without upsetting the PWD.

Hugs

Jo
Same problem with my mom....but her tipple is brandy, she sometimes gets through 2ltr per week and says she only has a small glass at weekends!! She lives alone is 92, if we buy her wine or low strength it stays in cupboard, she doesn't seem to see it, just the brandy.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Well done Jo!

I've just been through a similar process with my OH.

This isn't because he's drinking too much but because he has just been put on Amitriptyline and the GP said 'no alcohol.'

OH loves a couple of glasses of red wine with his meal and I couldn't think how to get round this without an argument.

Like you, I tried a lower alcohol content for a week and then decided to go for it and try alcohol free red wine. I said nothing. I just poured it out and waited. He took a mouthful and said, ' Oooo that's a nice wine that!' When I explained that it was a bit cheaper than our usual wine, he asked if we could stick with it all the time!!

Mission accomplished. Long may it continue. It's a bit like blackcurrant cordial to me, but I don't mind, it does the job. It won't do me any harm

Keep up the good work and let us know of any other tricks that you discover.
JigJog x

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Can you start adding a tiny bit of water to it, Princess t? I found it was the gradual weakening-down that worked, rather than a sudden change.

Keeping it in the bottle she recognises also helped ;)

Hugs

Jo

Jo Sutton

Jul 8, 2016
Surrey
Well done Jig-Jog. I wish mine had been that easy! I tried Mum on the alcohol free first off, but she said it tasted 'different' and wouldn't have it again. By that time, she needed the familiar, I think.

Hugs

Jo

pins tony

Oct 20, 2014
bristol
alcohol

Same problem with my mom....but her tipple is brandy, she sometimes gets through 2ltr per week and says she only has a small glass at weekends!! She lives alone is 92, if we buy her wine or low strength it stays in cupboard, she doesn't seem to see it, just the brandy.

Hi if your mums made 92 drinking Brandy it must be good for her.dont try to stop her little tipple take care tony

geniemax

Oct 30, 2015
Same with my dad much better since managing his everyday money and purchasing his wine for him also giving it him after 6.30 pm I too will try to reduce alcohol content its very trying but worthwhile in the end good on you

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Hi if your mums made 92 drinking Brandy it must be good for her.dont try to stop her little tipple take care tony

2 litres a week is hardly a *Little tipple*!

Can you restrict the purchase some how? What happens if he hasn't got any? Can she still get out and buy it?