Any advice please

Bagpuss77j

Nov 5, 2015
Wirral
Mum is doubly incontinent and although I have found it very difficult to get used to taking care of her Toiletry needs because I have such a terrible weak stomach I have got into a routine and got my head around it,however this past 2 weeks she has just been constantly poohing all day and night bit by bit sorry to be so blunt folks :-/ it is not diarrhoea it is semi solid tarry she not complaining of pain or feeling sick but it is getting really difficult for both of us I am sick to my stomach and mum gets so distressed!

Julia-Marie

Aug 11, 2016
My mum was eventually admitted to hospital with non stop bowel movements (every 10-15 minutes over a day) that were as you describe. It turned out she had sepsis and kidney failure, unrelated to her bowel movements which they think is diverticulitis (I say think because mums at end of life so they won't perform a colonoscopy - not that she'd let them!).

My mum was given a drug that eased her bowels, and also put on a fluid line because of dehydration from her loose bowels. I suggest a call to her GP just to be on the safe side.

chris53

Nov 9, 2009
London
Hi Bagpuss, so sorry mums situation is so distressing, it may be worth having a chat with her doctor to rule out an infection, please insist that a stool test is done..urine test may be a good idea as well..sadly sometimes the medical profession just concentrate on the dementia side of things rather then physical wellbeing:rolleyes: if the doctor does home visits see if you can get one soon,so he/she can do a quick check up.
Take care
Chris

Gwendy1

Feb 9, 2016
Glasgow
Hi Bagpuss. I agree i'd get the doctor onto it. Could be your mum's medication if she's on any- iron can produce some pretty tarry looking movements? Your poor mum's skin will be suffering too if there's no let up. An ordeal for you both. X

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
When you use the word 'tarry' to describe the stools, do you mean black? When OH had black stools, it was a result of internal bleeding and he was in hospital for eight days. He has taken warfarin for years so he was admitted through Emergency Department straight from the doctor's surgery.

Sorry if I haven't understood your description properly but just a little concerned that it might be something that needs urgent attention.

Bagpuss77j

Nov 5, 2015
Wirral
When you use the word 'tarry' to describe the stools, do you mean black? When OH had black stools, it was a result of internal bleeding and he was in hospital for eight days. He has taken warfarin for years so he was admitted through Emergency Department straight from the doctor's surgery.

Sorry if I haven't understood your description properly but just a little concerned that it might be something that needs urgent attention.

Hi everyone thanks for all your advice, i have rang her Dr's and her Dr gonna give me a ring back later to discuss it, one or two were very dark but not black just a really tarry pasty consistency x

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Hi, Bagpuss, and hope you get some help from the GP. I agree with seeking medical help for this ASAP.

In the meantime, my other advice (I'm sure you know this already but in case someone is reading this who doesn't) is disposable gloves...for you to wear, for cleaning up.

Bagpuss77j

Nov 5, 2015
Wirral
Calmed down now

Hi, Bagpuss, and hope you get some help from the GP. I agree with seeking medical help for this ASAP.

In the meantime, my other advice (I'm sure you know this already but in case someone is reading this who doesn't) is disposable gloves...for you to wear, for cleaning up.

Hi everyone just to update dr came to see mum didn't think anything too concerning but took a sample and arranged nurse to come take bloods, it has settled down now and she hasn't poohed at all today so far. Thanks everyone for support hope all ok at your end xx