NHS blocking complaint

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
Anyone know how to get around this?

NHS are refusing to give us information or to allow us to make a complaint on my gran's behalf

They say that she doesn't have the capacity to give consent to us to making a complaint on her behalf

We have a letter of consent from my gran, witnessed by a senior sister, that says her family can see any documentation we see fit that pertains to her health/care

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I presume you don't have POA?

I would make the complaint anyway on her behalf, from next of kin (if they are not the person that has 'paid' the bill!). The NHS have to investigate if they say she hasn't capacity and someone is making a complaint against them they have a duty of care to investigate complaints regarding her care, otherwise what protection does a person without capacity have?, very little in some areas of the NHS in my experience. Keep notes of names , dates and times of all communications and keep trying.

All the best
Sue

Poppyfields

Sep 12, 2013
Many thanks

No we didn't get POA - never thought it an issue - anyone out there who feels it's an awkward subject, please get it sorted BEFORE you need to

I have actually asked them if I saw a nurse or doctor abusing or overdosing her, and reported it, would they still ignore it - refusing to answer me

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
A similar thing happened to me.
Mum was taken into hospital at the beginning of the year and a nurse in A&E handled her rather roughly when she was moving her and made her cry out - she has limited mobility and quite advanced dementia. I put in a complaint through PALS and got a reply from the hospital saying that they could not proceed without a copy of mums H&W POA showing that I am the attourney. I explained that I did not have POA, but I did have CoP for finances and I was her next of kin, but they would not proceed with the complaint. So much has happened since, that I havent pursued the matter further.